1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sorry, but the Gospel is hid to them that are Lost !

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by savedbymercy, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

How did we bring sin upon ourselves if we were born into sin?

Also, the notion that all humans are born into sin and thereby guilty and deserving of punishment from the moment of birth brings about, by necessity, the "truth" that any infant dying goes to Hell. The preached gospel is required, as is belief, per the scripture. Since babies are incapable of such, yet are guilty of sin from birth, they must be punished. To say that one of these babies is Elect, and thereby Heaven-bound, is to negate the scriptural requirement of the preached gospel.

2. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first Adam. The representative of mankind in the garden.

Psalms 58:3 "The wicked are estranged from the womb;
    they go astray from birth, speaking lies."

Psalms 51:5 "For I was born a sinner—
    yes, from the moment my mother conceived me."

John the Baptist was filled with Holy Spirit in the womb. Proof that God can move in anyone at any age, at developmental stage.

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "We" did no such thing. Adam brought sin upon us all. Your argument that all deserve the justice of hell because we rebel against God fails miserably.

We are all born with condemnation because of the curse, not because we all choose to rebel against God. If all babies are saved, then it is because of the grace and mercy of God not to hold Adam's sin against them seeing how they had no choice but to receive the curse.

So again, your argument fails that it is God's justice to condemn many because all choose to rebel. You kinda want it both ways, you want Total Depravity, which has the person condemned BEFORE they actually do anything wrong (choose to rebel), but then you want to say God is just for condemning many because they have chosen to rebel.

The fact is, mankind is condemned through Adam. Yet God in His mercy and grace has given mankind the cure for that curse, the freedom to receive Jesus Christ as Lord. Thus, those who do freely reject God have no argument against God and God is just to leave them condemned.

4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are absolutely, 100% correct (c.f. Rom. 8:7; 1 Cor. 2:14).

No. The Bible teaches that all have sinned (Rom. 3:23) and worthy recipients of God's wrath. i.e. the second death (Rom. 6:23). We are born into a state of rebellion with God. God does not exert a special blame and punishment for those who are born in sin. God would be justified in sending everyone to perdition. But God is gracious and merciful. He saves some for reasons that only He knows.

Where these discussions always go off the rails is in misunderstanding the theological certainty of election, and our responsibility to the proclamation of the Gospel. In other words, how we are supposed to live in light of doctrine of election.

Just because I am a Calvinist does not mean I am a fatalist. It does not mean that I am part of the club and can take it easy for the rest of my life. As a Calvinist I understand that the means God uses to bring in His elect is the preaching of the Gospel. I confess that only the elect will have a positive response to the Gospel, but just who is elect is a knowledge that God withholds from me. Only God knows those whom He has called unto eternal life. I know that I am supposed to proclaim the Gospel to all, as though all could believe.

5. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The desire to seek after God; does this come from within a man or by the drawing of God?

Rippon cited you two or three passages...

At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do. “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.[Lu. 10:21,22]

First off, let us go back to the Garden. All of what has you frothing at the mouth is in what you deem to be unfairness in regards to who gets called. When Adam sinned, would God have been just to let everyone of us be born without ever sending Jesus? If yes, then why the angst of Him saving those who are saved? None of us were entitled to being saved, but if God does not give everyone a bona fide offer of being saved, then in your guy's eyes, God is being unjust. What if God calls 'Henry' 30 times over a 20 year period and 'Stephen' only gets one call? Is God being unfair to 'Stephen'? What if He calls someone for 50 years and one of your cousins gets one call and dies lost at the age of 92? Is God being unfair? It appears that unless God 'tries' to save everyone, He is being unfair.

For the record, God does not 'try' to save anyone. He either does it or he does not. DHK in another thread used a passage of scripture that undermined his and your guy's theology horribly. He wrote Paul's writing to the church at Rome But now that there is no more place for me to work in these regions, and since I have been longing for many years to visit you, I plan to do so when I go to Spain. I hope to see you while passing through and to have you assist me on my journey there, after I have enjoyed your company for a while.[Rom. 15:23,24] Paul had never been to Spain and the gospel had not been spread into Spain. Why do I make such a claim? Paul wrote It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that I would not be building on someone else’s foundation.[Rom. 15:20] So what he wrote in vss 23 and 24 shows that Paul wanted to go where Christ was not known. Many years, probably 3 or 4 decades had passed from Christ's death until this writing of Paul took place. According to some historians, Paul wrote the book of Romans ca. 56 AD. Now, Christ's death took place somewhere between AD 29-35(30-33 AD may be more accurate), so that gives about 23-26 years from His death to Paul's writing the book of Romans--and he STILL had not made it to Spain yet. So, all those who died in Spain, where Christ was not known, what happened to them? If you say they went to heaven, howso? They did not know the only Way to God, Christ.

I'll be waiting for your reply. Thanks in advance.

#25 SovereignGrace, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
  6. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You say "we" mankind did not bring sin upon itself. The very next sentence you say Adam(a member of mankind) brought seen upon us. You contradict your self. Rendering the your argument invalid.

We are born sinful before any act was done.
    "For I was born a sinner—
    yes, from the moment my mother conceived me." Psalms 51:5

All have sinned. All have a sinful nature from birth. We don't learn to sin. It is a natural occurring function of humankind. We inherited this nature at the fall. We are born slaves to sin.

#26 McCree79, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
  7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

So how can a person who is lost, having the Gospel hidden from them by the god of this world, believe the Gospel ? Its not possible !

8. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Sorry, but the Gospel is hid to them that are Lost !3

The Gospel, in its Salvation and Converting sense, was not for all mankind without exception, but for the seed of Abraham Gal 3:8

8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

This is a restatement of Gen 12:3

3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Peter preached this Acts 3:25-26

25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.

26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Notice in Vs 25, Jesus was raised up to who ? Unto You, being them of the jews who were children of the prophets, not natural children, but spiritual children of the Covenant God made with Abraham !

This is the spiritual seed of Abraham in union with Christ the Head of the Church Gal 3:16

16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Christ and His Seed, the Body of Christ are One !

They comprise Abrahams Seed that He came to help out of the fall Gal 3:29

29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

And its this seed Christ came to save Heb 2:16

16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham[Those who belong to Christ Gal 3:29].

The words took on as in took on him the seed of Abraham are epilambanomai and means:

I lay hold of, take hold of, seize (sometimes with beneficent, sometimes with hostile, intent).

It means in the specific text of Heb 2:16 this:

by a metaphor drawn from laying hold of another to rescue him from peril, to help, to succor

The greek reads : " The seed of Abraham He helps"

For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham.ESV

For it is clear that he did not come to help angels. No, he came to help Abraham's descendants, ISV

For verily not to angels doth he give help, but he giveth help to the seed of Abraham.ASV

For verily not of angels doth he take hold, but he taketh hold of the seed of Abraham.ERV

This taking hold of is what Paul meant when he said that he was apprehended by Christ here Phil 3:12

12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

That word apprehended katalambanó means:

(a) I seize tight hold of, arrest, catch, capture, appropriate, (b) I overtake, (c) mid. aor: I perceived, comprehended.

And its to these the Gospel is Preached in a matter of Salvation and Conversion, the Seed of Abraham that belongs to Christ Gal 3:29;Heb 2:16 !

9. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Tulip is the Gospel of Gods Grace in Christ !

The acronym Tulip are scriptural truths founded upon the scripture, that best describes and shines forth the Gospel of Gods Grace in Christ, they illustrate to us why it must be of Grace, it being Salvation, why 100 % of Salvation can only be attributed to the Triune Godhead, of Father, Son/Word, and Holy Ghost ! If we neglect, shun, or even flat out reject any one of the parts of TULIP, Total Depravity or Inability,Unconditional Election, Limited or Particular Atonement or Redemption, Irresistible Grace/efficacious call and perseverance or preservation of all those Christ died for unto Eternal Glory, if we disbelieve any one of these Truths taught in the Scripture of Truth, we disbelieve the Gospel of Gods Grace in Christ, and are presently in Unbelief and possibly, and more than likely under eternal condemnation !

Now with that stated, one of the Truths of the Gospel of Gods Grace conveyed in TULIP, is Unconditional Election, an Election of Grace Rom 11:5-7

5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.

And this Truth being True, so is its necessary corollary of reprobation, in that God has unconditionally chosen a set number of people for the condemnation of their sins, this is by an Eternal Immutable Predetermined Decree that determined , before they were ever born, and did any evil, their Eternal Destiny , to be Christless forever !

This is a Essential Teaching of the Gospel of Gods Grace Rom 9 and, without it, there is no Gospel of Gods Grace !

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If he doesn't mind I'll answer this one.
    It is typical of you, as of other Calvinists on this board to take scripture out of its context. By taking it out of its context you can make it say anything you want to say. You have a propensity of doing that. But what does the passage really teach.

Not long ago he had selected his 12 disciples. Now he had come to the place where he chose some more:
    Luk 10:1 After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come.
    --He sends them out with specific instructions which are given in the following verses.

After some time the return with joy, and the record indicates:
    Luk 10:17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
    Luk 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
    --They had come rejoicing and Christ remarks how Satan had been defeated through the power given unto them.

Then:
    Luk 10:20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.
    Luk 10:21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight.
    Luk 10:22 All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him.

In verse 20 they are warned not to rejoice in the power given to them but rather in the salvation given to them--that their names are written in heaven.

Take notice the context. Others were present. Immediately after what happens:
    Luk 10:25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
    --There were the lawyers, the scribes, the Pharisees, the Sadducees; all were present.

In verse 21 Jesus rejoices in the spirit and thanks the Father.
    He thanks them that these things (no doubt the spiritual truths concerning himself--his deity, incarnation, Messiahship, etc.) were understood by them, these babes in Christ, but were hidden from these "wise and prudent" (the group already described).

Verse 22: "All things are delivered to me by my Father"--a direct reference to His disciples. The rest of the verse refers to the disciples. The disciples knew God the Father through Christ.
    Philip asked Christ: "Show us the Father and it sufficeth us." What was the answer of Christ? "He that has seen the Son has seen the Father.

Thomas didn't believe. Jesus appeared when Thomas appeared. Then what did Thomas say? You know his response.
    Verse 22 does not apply to us. He is speaking of these 70 disciples, babes in Christ, who learned of Christ just at this time by the power he gave to them. He is contrasting them to the "wise and prudent" of the world surrounding them.
    Taken out of its context, you are simply butchering the scriptures.

11. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

How can man defeat the Power of God ?

Did you know that the Gospel of Christ is the Power of God ? Scripture states it here Rom 1:16

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

And this being the case, we still have them who teaches , and that falsely, that The Gospel as the Power of God, can come to many and they can and do reject it, dont believe it, disobey it, not submit to it, even though its the Power of God !

Folks, dont you know that such teaching as that is an derogation of the Power of God ??

Listen, if the Gospel of Christ is the Power of God, and its being sent on a mission from God to be a Word of Salvation unto them, to persuade them, and yet that person can resist it, deny it, refuse it, reject it, not believe it, be unpersuaded by it, then guess what ? That person has defeated the Power of God, The Gospel ! Theres no other way to say it, we are in giving more power to man, the flesh of man, the will of man than we are to the Power of God, which is Blasphemous to say the least !

We are saying that Gods Power, the Day of His Power in the Gospel, failed to make that person willing as stated in Ps 110:3

3 Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth.

John Gill comments on this portion, being made willing in the day of thy power:

Through the Gospel, the Power of God, Christ becomes Our Captain and we become His Willing Army Heb 2:9-10

9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

The Gospel makes them willing soldiers Josh 5:14

And he said, No; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said to him, What said my Lord to his servant?

Again Mr Gill comments:

The Word Power in Rom 1:16 is the greek word dunamis and means:

(a) physical power, force, might, ability, efficacy, energy, meaning (b) plur: powerful deeds, deeds showing (physical) power, marvelous works

by metonymy, things or persons in which God's saving power shows its efficacy are called

Listen, the Gospel in the Day of Ones Salvation is the force, might, ability, efficacy of God when we are being Called by it 1 Cor 1:24

But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ[via the Gospel] the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

And yet we have many today in false religion that would tell us, that the Called of God , by His Gospel, can and do resist, defeat, frustrate the very Power of God by not believing, this is nothing short of a diminishment of Gods Power to the advancement of mans will !

12. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Define false religion. Please back up any description with scripture.

13. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Did you understand the points made in the post?

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Answer the question; engage in intelligent debate or I will close the thread.
    As in the Cal/Arm thread, your sermon outlines and random expositions are not permitted. This is a debate forum.

15. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

That's not what the post is about, if you want to discuss the points made in the post, points made by scripture, then let's go!

As far as the sermon outline thing is concerned, that is a convenient excuse to evade the points and topics! Now let's engage in intelligent debate on the points made with scripture, about the Gospel being the Power of God!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.