1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Soteriologyish

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonC, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I agree. When their mind is closed to the truth of God's word, that the gifts of tongues, prophecy, and knowledge have passed away and their experience is more important to them than God's word, then they will not receive from God that which He wants them to have. Their mind and heart are closed to His leading. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Interpretation is not prophecy! Prophecy is new declaration of something God reveals and a prophet must be proven. He must prove his Long term prophecy by the short term prophecy first coming to pass. We have no true prophets in our time not one.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with everything you have posted here except that this revelation was the Bible itself. So if it helps, you were almost all the way right Laugh.

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But he does. In fact he says they had already ceased to be given when Paul was writing First Corinthians. Look at chapter 13 verse 13. "But now (when Paul was writing) faith, hope, and love remain—these three. The greatest of these is love."

He did not say, "But now tongues, prophecy, knowledge, faith, hope, and love remain—these six. The greatest of these is love."

Nope. Paul made the timing very clear. It had already happened that the gifts were no longer being given to new converts and as those already gifted aged and passed away the gifts passed away with them. QED :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point is that prophecy did not "add to" the Word of God. If prophecy does exist today (and I'm not saying that it does not) then it is an unveiling of what has already been revealed. Those who prophesied were declaring truth...not Browner's "deeper truths" but actual truths of God. So I disagree that Scripture indicates God can never use prophecy (or even tongues to affirm that prophecy) after the completion of Revelation to communicate His Word. But if prophecy exists today (and I think it possibly could) then it would never be extra-biblical in content.

6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Then it is of no value to the church if it isn't conveyed to them, not just one local church but to all believers must hear new revelation (prophecy), and what book gives us God's entire plan?

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that does not mean the revelation is the completion of the canon or the authorship of Revelation. I disagree that Paul is saying that those three are the only ones that remain in terms of gifts given to the Church. Those three are, however, the ones in which the Church abides. Having been saved, tongues are no longer needed (they are a sign for the lost); having received the revelation of the Word of God, prophecy is no longer needed (it is received). But we will abide now (as benefactors of God's revelation..as the Church) in faith, hope, and love.

My disagreement is not that prophecy exists in the local church (it is not needed) or that tongues are spoken in the local church (they are not for the church) but that Paul is not saying that with the completion of Revelation these things cease. They cease when they are not needed.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Prophesy is not a gift given to the local church as it is not needed because we have God's revelation. This does not mean people are not to proclaim that word and we are to judge their words by Scripture. But I don't think we disagree there.

We will never have God's entire plan. We don't need God's entire plan. But what has been revealed of God has been revealed in Scripture. The book would be the Bible.

9. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Prophecy is new revelation.

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The term can mean two very different things. One, as the term is used regarding the gift of foretelling, means to give new, as yet unknown, revelation, often regarding future events. The second is the forthtelling of that already given. It is what preachers do (or at least they ought to) today. We take what has already been given and "forthtell" or "tell forth" the word of God.
    Nobody has said God can't do so. What we have said is that He won't because He said so. He said He was no longer giving the miraculous sign gifts. I think He meant it, and I also think He always keeps His word. :)
    Forthtelling as opposed to foretelling. :)

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Like when the revelation was complete. :)

Sign gifts authenticated the giving of revelation.

When revelation ceased so did the authenticating sign gifts. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it is not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry.....I was thinking Barth again

I think understanding the passage to mean the completion of the Bible to be reading into the text and the text itself more general in nature.

14. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Definition of prophecy,
    a. An inspired utterance of a prophet, viewed as a revelation of divine will.
    b. A prediction of the future, made under divine inspiration.

Seems it is by definition.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if you add "new" to your definition. That was the part I disagreed with (partly because the OT proves you wrong....and partly because the NT proves you wrong).

16. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

So you know a prophet one who predicts something short term and has it come true so that his long term prophecy will be proven true and he will be shown as a prophet of God. That is the test of a prophet. A prophet doesn't take scripture and predict from it He takes divinely inspired Prophecy and proclaims it.

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What definition springs to mind when you think of prophecy? Surely most would answer, “Predicting or foretelling the future.” Yet in order to achieve clarity in understanding what prophecy is, it is helpful to consider that the scriptural definition is much broader. By no means is prophecy restricted to today's popular usage—that is, predicting the future. Certainly the Bible does use it in this sense, but it also uses it in another important way. When properly understood, most of the Bible is prophecy. It all hinges on how we understand and define the term.

Prophecy comes from the Greek word propheteia, which literally means “to speak forth” (pro, “forth”; phemi, “to speak”). According to Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th Edition, a prophet can be one who foretells the future or one who utters divinely inspired revelations.

So while prophecy is indeed prediction, it also means proclaiming God's truth. W.E. Vine says in his Dictionary of New Testament Words that a prophet is “a proclaimer of a divine message.... one to whom and through whom God speaks.” Vine also tells us that “propheteia... signifies the speaking forth of the mind and counsel of God.... Though much of Old Testament prophecy was purely predictive,... prophecy is not necessarily, nor even primarily, fore-telling. It is the declaration of that which cannot be known by natural means,... it is the forth-telling of the will of God, whether with reference to the past, the present, or the future” (s.v. “prophet,” “prophecy,” emphasis added).

John Meakin, Religion and Spirituality, The Other Prophecy, Winter 2000 Issue

• Like Like x 1
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was thinking more of prophets like in the Bible (like Jeremiah....not like Joseph Smith or Ellen White....or palm readers).

19. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

And the O. T. gave a test for a prophet Deuteronomy 13:
    1 If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,
    2 And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;
    3 Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the Lord your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
    Notice his short term prophecy must come true. We have no such men in our age.
    Jer. 28:9. “The prophet which prophesieth of peace, when the word of the prophet shall come to
    pass, [then] shall the prophet be known, that the LORD hath truly sent him.”
    True prophet's predictions must come to pass, ALL of them.
    We have no such men in our time Prophecy has ceased and therefore so too the othet temporary things.

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the foretelling prophet. But there are two types of prophet. You can't just ignore the other type of prophet!

That is the whole point of this discussion, which you seem, once again, to have missed! :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.