1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Soul Liberty

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I think that's a fair post.

No Baptist church I ever joined asked me to agree with a statement of faith. They just asked if I had accepted Jesus as my Savior and been immersed.

The little baptist church I am now considering: The pastor told me that I didn't have to believe in OSAS to join there.

I've never seen a statement of faith of any church that I agreed completely with. So, according to you, I couldn't be a member of any church, right?

#21 Michael Wrenn, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

One would assume that they would join a church with which they agree with in doctrine. Most statements of faith are basic. But if your beliefs are that different, then you could simply attend without becoming a member. One who disagrees in doctrine would in the end simply cause division IMO. I have seen it happen. If you were asked to teach and have a different doctrine how would that work out? There must be unity, confidence in one another.

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Here are some denominations and key point(s) where I disagree:

Nazarene: entire sanctification
    United Methodist: polity, baptism
    SBC: OSAS, women pastors
    Pentecostal: Holy Spirit baptism, with initial evidence of tongues
    Presbyterian: Calvinism
    RCC: extreme sacramentalism; popery
    Churches of Christ: baptism necessary for salvation

I could go on, but why? :)

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good post DHK...helpful to frame out the issue:thumbsup: Their is a clear distinction between corporate agreement being necessary, and being able to say that each one of us will give account of himself to God.....

real soul liberty in my mind would be christians being "free" to serve God by voluntary law keeping, toward God and man...Love is the keeping of the law. As unsaved we were lawless for the most part...as redeemed image bearers we are "free" to serve.
    The fruit of the Spirit is often expressed corporately.....we are not isolated renegades...God molds us together by His design, so we have some individual liberty,but within a God given structure.

#24 Iconoclast, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2012
  5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

That's a good post; I like what you said.

6. 12strings

12strings Active Member

-So just to be clear, Its not that they did not ask you to agree with a statement of faith, they just asked you to agree with a very Simple, Unwritten statement of faith, along with specific practice (baptism), but not to affirm agreement with their longer, more detailed statement of faith, Right?

-I think that's as it should be. Our (SBC) church does not require this either. The chairman of our deacons does not hold to OSAS, although the Pastors do.

I think this question could go either way. I once sense you are right that you may never find a statement of faith you agree with completely (though some non-denominational churches have a very short list of beliefs that nearly any christian could agree with). This should not prevent you from joining a church. But you should find one that is close enough where your differing beliefs will not cause conflict.

For example, for me, I was looking at some church's statements of faith, and near the end it said, "A Dispensational view of scripture is necessary." And went on to detail their dispensational eschatology. Personally, I don't think ANY church should have ANY eschatological position, other than "Jesus is coming back." That's one thing I do appreciate about the BF&M.
    -That dispensational church would probably let me become a member there, but I don't know that I would be happy there if they were always harping about dispensational stuff.

Anyway, it sounds to me like the issue for you is not whether a church requires assent to a creed, but how detailed beyond the basic Gospel that the assent goes?
    -If they require that I believe in Jesus and be baptized, that "Creed" is acceptable...but if they require that I believe in OSAS or a specific view of end times, that is going too far.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

You have it essentially correct. My views are diverse; I don't fit neatly into any one denominational "system", if you will.

8. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Thanks for the reply...It seems then, that I don't have much to disagree with you on this point, Except that unlike you, in my short (5-year) experience at an SBC church, I have found a good balance of centrality on the Gospel, and allowance for differences in Cal/Arm, OSAS, End times beliefs.

I do think they made a big mistake with the IMB/private prayer issue, and feel bad for those missionaries...and of course just as in ANY big orginization, there are people at different levels of authority who make unwise, or selfish decisions. Thankfully our local church is free to ignore most of the silly stuff and support the good stuff.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Sometimes sola scriptura and soul liberty have overlapped. Here is a famous quote which is a good example of soul liberty:
    Martin Luther, April 18, 1521

http://www.christianity.com/ChurchH...com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=04/17/2012/

10. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I appreciate your contributions to this discussion.