1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

South African Masters Programs

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by panicbird, May 17, 2005.

1. panicbird

panicbird New Member

I have read a bit on the SA doctoral programs, but have not seen much on the master-level programs. How would those of you in the know rate them? Are they demanding enough?

Also, what about their BA (Hons) and BTh programs? It seems to me (and I could be/probably am wrong) that these programs (especially the BTh) function almost as an MA/MDiv does in the US. Am I right here? How are these programs looked upon?

Thanks.

Lon

2. UZThD

UZThD New Member

3. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I'm kind of a catalog collector.(It borders on catalog addiction, really, ha). Is it very difficult to get hard copies of catalogs for the SA seminaries? I imagine postage is astonomical.
    Tom

4. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I just copied UZs off the former website.

5. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Thanks, Bill. Some of their websites seem a bit sparse. I'm sure all the important stuff is there though.

6. UZThD

UZThD New Member

UZs IS sparse.

7. panicbird

panicbird New Member

Please allow me to resurrect this thread.

So, what I am gathering is that the South African Masters programs are not the best, right?

If that is the case, what affordable distance education Masters programs are there that are worth anything? I know that RTS has one, but the price is out of my range.

What about Columbia Evangelical Seminary's Masters programs? Is it true that one's experience with CES depends on one's mentor? If so, which mentors are good?

Lon

8. Broadus

Broadus Member

Lon,

Have you looked into Luther Rice Seminary? I'm sure it is less expensive than RTS and is TRACS accredited and is working toward SACS.

Bill

9. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Good choice, Bill. LRS is quite affordable too.

10. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Panicbird,

Don't forget to check out Liberty's online MA or MAR. There was someone on one of these threads who was finishing his up and was looking to do some master's/doctoral work. He seemed very satisfied with it. Liberty was one of the first to do some DL work even back into the 80s. Problem was, their program was so high many could not afford it.

Broadus had probably as good an insight as any on this and I would have to say AMEN!!

My two cents.

sdg!

rd

11. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Faith Seminary (Tacoma/Salem) is TRACS accredited and offers DE master's degrees. Tuition is $200 per qh. Also, Trinity Seminary of Newburgh offers master's by DE. So does Johnson Bible College. I suggest you look at Jason Baker's Christian Distance learning website to see various offerings- or buy his book.

Bill

(Director of DE, Faith Seminary, Salem)

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Director?

Is that a new title?

13. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

yes. I have a new ministry: Assistant Prof of Theological Studies and Director of Distance Education. I included D. of DE in the above post in case the seeker for a masters DE program wished to discuss our school.

I had rec'd the MA in Theology in '68. IMO I did wrong to accumulate after that 90 sem units in education at USD and OSU and with two teaching credentials teach public school for 35 years instead of going on for a doc in Theology.

Nevertheless while teaching public school I did the work for the MDiv and ThM. Then when I went in semi retirement I began the ThD.

I don't think that "lusted" is too strong a verb to describe the immense desire in me for the last year or so to find a teaching ministry on which to expend myself for the remainder of my life.

I finished the the ThD this May and daily prayed "Make me first a man of God, make me first a lover of God, and if YOU are willing, give me also an educational ministry for God."

A friend on this Board mentioned this school :
    www.otsweb.org/

The website is much out of date. OTS is now a part of Faith of Tacoma and is called Faith Seminary-Salem. It is TRACS accredited. My picture and title are there.

They are there because in the last month I spent about 25 hours with H. Wayne House. God through Dr. House has given me a ministry.

I don't think I can express my gratitude to God. I feel I am at last doing what I should have been doing for the last 35 years.

Anyway, we do offer both the masters by DE and the MDiv too providing the language reqs are met.

14. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

yes. I have a new ministry: Assistant Prof of Theological Studies and Director of Distance Education. I included D. of DE in the above post in case the seeker for a masters DE program wished to discuss our school.

I had rec'd the MA in Theology in '68. IMO I did wrong to accumulate after that 90 sem units in education at USD and OSU and with two teaching credentials teach public school for 35 years instead of going on for a doc in Theology.

Nevertheless while teaching public school I did the work for the MDiv and ThM. Then when I went in semi retirement I began the ThD.

I don't think that "lusted" is too strong a verb to describe the immense desire in me for the last year or so to find a teaching ministry on which to expend myself for the remainder of my life.

I finished the the ThD this May and daily prayed "Make me first a man of God, make me first a lover of God, and if YOU are willing, give me also an educational ministry for God."

A friend on this Board mentioned this school :
    www.otsweb.org/

The website is much out of date. OTS is now a part of Faith of Tacoma and is called Faith Seminary-Salem. It is TRACS accredited. My picture and title are there.

They are there because in the last month I spent about 25 hours with H. Wayne House. God through Dr. House has given me a ministry.

I don't think I can express my gratitude to God. I feel I am at last doing what I should have been doing for the last 35 years.

Anyway, we do offer both the masters by DE and the MDiv too providing the language reqs are met.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Bill Grover

15. UZThD

UZThD New Member

sorry for double post

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Bill

Congratulations!