1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

South Puget Sound Libertarian: Giuliani Isn’t Smarter Than Bush

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jul 7, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correction: Giuliani Isn’t Smarter Than Bush
    Mark : July 7th, 2007, 5:58 pm

I’m among those who said that Giuliani is smarter than Bush and therefore more dangerous. I was wrong. He’s more articulate than Bush (not a difficult feat) but equally ignorant and stupid. Here’s Giuliani on taxes:

- rest at http://laceylibertarian.us/?p=1428

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the GOP nominate Giuliani. I think it would mean pretty much the end of the GOP as a national party capable of winning the presidency. Then a truly limited government party could take its place.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

If he wants to study it some more, let's pitch in and buy him a copy of the book, or email him a copy of the bill. I know Thomspon is considering it for his platform, and Huckabee has already supported it. On the Dem side, Gravel does. Who else does?

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we were starting from scratch I would be all behind the "Fair Tax". I even have a "Fair Tax" t-shirt. But I see no way that the American people will ever go along with such a drastic change in the tax code. It would be too difficult to convince a majority of the people that they wouldn't come out a loser in such a switch to a different system of tax collection.

Plus I have never seen anyone explain how to make the transition from where we are today to the "Fair Tax".

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think a flat tax is more feasible (albeit not as effective), but I don't think we'll get that either.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

My big problem with the Fair Tax is the rebate you get to offset the tax on "necessities." Won't that still require a bureacracy to do so? If we're going to have a consumption tax, just have that tax. Exempt certain items if you want, but if we're going to eliminate bureacracy, then let's do that. I believe that's the same objection that Thompson and some others have to it.

Forbes's flat tax will probably be what gets the support from the mainstream. However, it seems like more are proponents of the Fair Tax than supported it years ago.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. The rebate sounds like a gimmick to me.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Agreed. Seems like an entitlement to me.

8. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Fair tax, flat tax, whatever. We'll not significantly change our system, because of the incredible hidden taxes, and huge bureaucracy created over the years.

Trying to condemn Rudy of anything associated with this nonsense is... well..nonsense. And I don't/won't support Rudy. But I may vote for him.

#8 hillclimber1, Jul 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2007
  9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would not surprise me at all for conservative evangelicals who claim that protecting the unborn is so important for them, that it trumps all other issues, to turn their back on their own principles and vote for Giuliani.