1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southeastern Baptist College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by JRG39402, Oct 26, 2006.

1. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

Does anyone know anything about Southeastern Baptist College located in Laurel, MS?

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    JRG Response

JRG,

I was just wondering why you ask?

I have looked at their web page, particularly the "Faculty" section and the "Accreditation" section. It seems that they may be somewhat provincial in their scope and outlook.

The faculty are probably top notch in character, but their academic credentials are woefully short of what one might need to go on to do graduate or professional work.

See:

http://www.southeasternbaptist.edu/sbc/faculty/

I have no axe to grind and only want folk to get a quality education.

sdg!:thumbsup:

rd

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The lack of doctoral degrees is somewhat of a disadvantage, but the lack of master's degrees for several of the faculty is inexcusable.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

HEY!!!!!!!!!

The BMA seminary is accredited! So what is all the fuss about?

:thumbs:

You don't excpect all of their schools to be accredited do you?

: peace:

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Let me assure everyone that I have no tomcat in this fight, never even having heard of either Southeastern Baptist College or BMA seminary until this thread. That said SE Baptist College and BMA Seminary both appear to be accredited by fairly 'standard' accrediting agencies for colleges and seminaries, respectively. However I did also look at the faculty profiles of both, as well, and based on that cursory glance, I would offer that, even at the level of instruction given, BMA Seminary does apear to be somewhat stronger in faculty 'qualifications'. And I would tend to agree with a previous poster that some more 'Master's degrees' and even a couple of Doctorates might not be a bad thing. :rolleyes:

Ed

6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having done a search, I have found that the Miss. accreditation comes automatically from their ABHE accreditation. While ABHE is recognized by the federal government, their standards seem low. I just don't know how an agency could allow people without graduate degrees to teach undergraduates. If they were GAs it would be one thing, but as faculty?? That's sub-standard.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Don't know about that one but I went to SouthEastern Baptist College in Wake Forest, NC. Southern Baptist Theological Semenary (it is also a college)

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Stefan

At just cursory glance, it would seem that this baptist college is NOT teaching at the undergraduate level - they seem to ONLY teach at the freshman and sophomore level of classes.

At the junior college level, a BA is removed from (is above) the level being taught; and a master's is the expected terminal degree.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Now then I compare them to a traditional Jr. College that I know of . . . . the names were removed and I bolded the instructional position that each is in. From a cursory look - one held a Ph.D. . . . and a couple a bachelor's . . . this old school may be a little better by credentials.

PS: this list is not exhaustive - I just took roughly the top third to half of instructors for an example.

#9 El_Guero, Oct 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2006
  10. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Elitism?

Oh, come off it guys! Here we are a bunch of armchair quarterbacks analyzing why the NFL guy lost the game. Harvard, it ain't but SBC is a credible two-year institution. IMHO, it serves a useful function for a certain group of people. It is a credible effort as attested by the following observable factors:
    1. Recognized, legitimate accreditation regardless whether you think it is the highest level of recognition or not (For that matter, I still don't think as highly of TRACS as some of you).
    2. Their faculty hold recognized degrees from recognized schools other than SBC. The criticism of one or two faculty members holding only baccalaureate degrees is not necessarily valid. We don’t know the teaching role of the individual and we don’t know how much graduate work beyond the bachelors degree has been done. One cannot rule out this person’s competency just for the lack of capital letters behind his or her name. As I have pointed out previously, Wilbur M. Smith taught in three major seminaries without a degree. My basis response to this criticism is “phooey!”
    3. They have limited the scope of their program to what they are reasonably able to do. After all, they only offer the first two years of college—no bachelors, masters, or doctorates.

Let’s give credit where it is due. These folks are not a degree mill and they are not necessarily substandard for what they offer. I can remember the early days of Liberty University when they were operating out of Thomas Road Baptist Church. Their faculty had similar credentials (some with only bachelors), their facilities did not appear as nice as SBC, and they were offering four-year degrees. So, let’s back off and be charitable in our assessment of these people. I have no connection or bias whatsoever but my argument is for fairness.

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

In ministry . . . and I think they have a few Master's degreed folks to teach that.

I say, if they are your denomination - go for it!

13. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Correction

I stand corrected. However, I do not see a non-specialized bachelors beyond their capabilities.

I based my faulty assumption of a two-year school on the following from their web site:
    "Southeastern offers an excellent two-year curriculum for those who would like to begin their college career in a Christian atmosphere. These students can then transfer their credits to a senior college or university to continue their studies in a more specialized field."

I wrongly assumed that they only offered a two-year program.

14. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

The BMA Seminary was mentioned early in this thread. Is the accreditation under question for this institution? I'm currently an MDiv student there and thoroughly enjoy the rigor of the studies. Also, all of their teaching faculty at the masters level hold Doctorate degrees. The accreditation is SACS so it is a quality school. I'm not sure about Southeastern College though.

Anyway...

15. Broadus

Broadus Member

I'm not familiar with BMA Seminary at all, but the SACS accreditation and the ATS candidacy listed on its website indicates that, at least at the formal accreditation level, there should be no question concerning its legitimacy.

Bill

16. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

The BMA is a Landmark group. I grew up in the BMA. Most pastors are uneducated and those who are usually never go past the undergraduate level. A pastor with a BA or BS in the BMA are the "prominent" pastors. The flagship school is Central Baptist College in Conway, AR (AR is the abbrev. for Arkansas not Arizona by the way!). Their url is cbc.edu. They are accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, I believe.

17. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

Yes, the BMA does have a landmarkist background but I can assure you that is dying off. It is scoffed at in most associations. However, we are still very much local church but even that is not what it used to be.

18. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

I may have painted with too broad of a brush. I can only speak for the BMA baptists that I've fellowshipped and worked with in Texas. So I was out of line to say "most associations."

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Are the BMA still closed or are they now open?

;)

Fire up that brush and paint some.

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

They been candidating a long time . . . what is up with that?