1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SouthEastern Seminary Students?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by UnashamedYouth, Sep 7, 2002.

1. UnashamedYouth

UnashamedYouth New Member

I know that FearNot goes there... and I plan to go there NEXT year... are we the only ones going/going to go there?

I'd really love to hear more about it... I heard Dr. Moller's opinion, Dr. Ky Kerrigan(I know that's spelled wrong LOL) and my pastor's opinion on the school(as well as some of you who've never attended but the fact that Dr. Patterson runs it[sort of] makes you experts) and Dr. Patterson's...

I'd really like to hear from students

you can reply to this thread or email me at my school email
    [email protected]

2. LAWC

LAWC New Member

My husband and I are at seminary at SEBTS. We really like it. Dr. Patterson is a very godly man who has done so much for SEBTS. In 1992, he, by the grace of God, brought the school out of debt, brought in MANY more students and sends out many to bring Jesus to the rest of the world. The professors are all godly men and women. I am taking one of Dr. Dorothy Patterson's classes and she is a wonderful drive behind a wonderful man. we met with Dr. Patterson once and his love for Jesus and reaching the lost was quickly evident in the first minutes of meeting him. But aside from Dr. P, you will get a good education, so many opportunites for missions, great fellowships, and good housing compared to most schools for sure! The campus is friendly, everyone i met has made us feel at home here. There are also great churches around here to get involved it. Oh and chapel is wonderful!
    I dont get involved in all the politics of SBC and all the issues. I think its unnecassary because when you see how Dr. P. has reached the lost, the heart for missions and love for God here, its silly to worry and argue about.

3. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hello There,

I am a student at SEBTS as well. You will enjoy your time here as a student. However, I suggest that you study hard and prepare yourself for the high level of expectation that our professors place upon us. I as assume that you will be coming into the college program here at Southeastern? If so, I highly recommend that you consider the BA in Biblical Studies and the History of Ideas double major. I was/am a member of the very first students to go through the Biblical Studies/History of Ideas degree program. It is a difficult program and demands a lot of work from the student. However, now that I have completed the four years of course work I would not trade the History of Ideas degree program for anything else offered at any other school. It is a classical education that teaches you how to think critically for yourself; rather than, what to think or how to do a particular thing (meaning a trade). The program starts with the works of Homer and comes up through 2,500 years of the Great Books of the Western World. Also, I believe that they have modified the first semester reading list to include some ancient near-eastern literature as well. If you want to learn why the modern western mind believes the things that it believes and how to impact that mind set for Christ then Southeastern's BA in Biblical Studies and the History of Ideas is the degree program for you. [​IMG] :D [​IMG]

P.S. when you get here you have an open invitation to come and worship with us at Open Door Baptist Church on Durant Road!

[ September 13, 2002, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: BibleboyII ]

4. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

I just started this fall. I'm taking two classes at present. Both seem to be very solid. I don't have a real feel for the institution as a whole yet.

The teachers are good and the content is strong, but the academics are not as demanding as in the M.A. program I completed at another conservative Baptist institution.