1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptist Calvinism

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Hardsheller, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

Hardsheller

There are some that add a sixth point. The sixth point is Sovereignty. TULIPS

Now, do I get any points for that? :D

[​IMG]

2. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Gee, a fella can learn something every day.

[​IMG]

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will support the CP as long as Calvinism is not "required". I don't like SBTS going to all-Calvinist faculty, but I don't have to go there. Now, if ALL seminary professors in ALL SBC seminaries were required to be Calvinist...well, I'd probably not remain a Southern Baptist.

4. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

"Required?" Like How?

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some claim the sixth point as evangelism

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Evangelism as a Calvinistic 6th point would be quite a conundrum! :eek:

7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hardsheller, I'm not in the SBC. But I am curious why non-SBC Calvinists would see an INCREASE in Calvinistic professors and students as a threat?

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I'd leave a church that called a Calvinist as a pastor.

Put your money where your heart is and notate that none of your tithe is to go to the CP. Write the SBC and explain WHY.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry that you feel that way, Diane. I would love to see the SBC become Calvinistic through and through. But I don't allow the Calvinism/Arminianism dispute to affect my ability to worship God with either Calvinists or Arminians.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not actually. Calvinism has a robust energy in the area of evangelism since Calvinists trust in God to change people's hearts, not man invented psychological methods.

11. whatever

whatever New Member

No, it is not. Have you ever read the Abstract of Principles? It was written by Calvinists, and yet it is nothing like the version of Calvinism that I read about on this board. I wonder why that is. Perhaps you could tell me why so many non-Calvinists persist in spreading myths like this?

12. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Required in that only full Calvinists (or close) would be allowed to teach or to participate in denominational activities.

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I presume to differentiate between Calvinism and hyper-Calvinism?

14. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Required in that only full Calvinists (or close) would be allowed to teach or to participate in denominational activities. </font>[/QUOTE]You mean like they are required to affirm the BF&M 2000 now before they can teach or work for the Convention?

That must be the reason so many have left the SBC.

15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Required in that only full Calvinists (or close) would be allowed to teach or to participate in denominational activities. </font>[/QUOTE]You mean like they are required to affirm the BF&M 2000 now before they can teach or work for the Convention?

That must be the reason so many have left the SBC.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Precisely. If the BFM were made totally Calvinistic, I'd have to leave the convention. I don't have a problem with having Calvinists in the SBC; diversity in this matter doesn't bother me all that much.

16. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Hardsheller, I'm not in the SBC. But I am curious why non-SBC Calvinists would see an INCREASE in Calvinistic professors and students as a threat? </font>[/QUOTE]Here are some reasons:

1. There are many Southern Baptists who wrongly think Calvinism and Evangelism cannot coexist. This is the BIG PROBLEM that many SBC NON-Calvinists have with SBC Calvinists.

2. Some Southern Baptists see it as a rewrite of history when SBC Calvinists claim that the majority of the Early Founders of the SBC were indeed Calvinists. Why do they believe this? Because For the last 75 years at least, the SBC Historians have downplayed and downright denied our Calvinistic roots.

3. Likewise the Anti-Missions Controversy of the 1800's has been blamed entirely on the Calvinists. There has been no serious scholastic examination that I am aware of concerning the FACT that the majority of Baptists who were arguing about Missions Organizations and Boards were indeed Calvinistic in their theology. So if there is a resurgence of Calvinism the thinking is "there go Missions."

4. If Calvinism were predominant in the SBC we'd have to revise our Doctrine of Man in our SBC Confessions. If you go back and trace the Doctrine of Man through the historic Baptist Confessions and bring it right up through the BF&M 2000 you discover that Man is getting better in SBC Theology and able to do more now to help himself spiritually than he used to be able to in the 1600's through the 1800's. Calvinism is thus seen as a theological threat to the methodology underlying many of our ministries.

I probably could go on and on but will stop there.

17. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What was the SBC doing in the 1600's??

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Having potluck dinners.

19. rc

rc New Member

Evangelicals WHERE Calvinists. The very term as a "tag" was from the Englanders. Like everything else along with the 2nd law of thermodynamics, everything breaks down and what takes work gets ignored. That's how things over time get turned upside down. Evangelical NOW is any nut that shouts on a stage and a Puritan is a heretic.... what is right will be wrong.... and what is wrong will be right.
    Righteousness does not dwell in the land of forgetfulness.

20. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Notice that I said Historic Baptist Confessions, not SBC Confessions.