1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptist Seminary or Luther Rice

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by brackinja, May 28, 2007.

1. Broadus

Broadus Member

I don't want to belabor the "whether it matters that SBTS is Calvinistic or not" discussion, since I think it's been aired sufficiently.

Similar theological considerations, though, could affect someone's going to Luther Rice, which is quite dispensational in its theology. While I am not dispensational, that would not deter me from recommending LRU.

Okay, I can't resist going back to SBTS and Calvinism--hoping my comment will be helpful and not stir further controversy. ;) I remember having some quite good discussions with non-Calvinists at SBTS. Profs treated such students with dignity and disagreements were never an issue, at least as long as one was appealing to Scripture and not to one's predilections.

I must admit to having learned much from those (or because of those) with whom I disagreed. Being driven to the Scriptures is always a good thing.

Blessings,
    Bill

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is very well said. It all depends on your individual prerogatives. I have no problem with anyone attending SBTS, SEBTS, LRU, or any other legitimate evangelical institution. I even think "mainline" institutions may be profitable for some individuals, especially those interested in academic careers. Personally, though, I would not attend most of them under most circumstances because of my personal priorities/convictions and my personal objectives.

Dallas Theological Seminary comes to mind. I respect the institution's work, and while the four-year ThM and the very, very strong emphasis on dispensationalism would deter me from attending there, it remains a very good option for those without such qualms. Information, however, is always good to know on the front end.

This issue is a lot like the rate of tuition. For some, it is an issue. For others, it isn't. If you have significant savings or are in a position to take out a loan, some of the more expensive seminaries (I'm thinking 25k per year) may be an option for you. If not, you may have to look at more economical options (such as the SBC seminaries, if you are SBC). Either way, the information is good to have.