1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Southern Baptists and Slavery

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by alvin, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alvin

alvin New Member

Make merchandise

Interesting turn of a phrase. The Southerns used this term of carpet baggers from the North but had no problems "making merchandise" of the African.

2. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

See, you paint with a broad brush, because I am a Son of the Confederates, but none of my kinfolk owned slaves, nor did I, so you can take your false accusations and put them in file 13 where they belong. My kinfolks fought for the Confederacy because they did not want to fight against their own kinfolks and statesmen. You really ought to know what you are talking about before you go shooting off your big mouth.

3. alvin

alvin New Member

Nice respone

Must have hit a nearve

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Yep, I bet Alvin will be the first one with his hand held out saying "give me." That makes him no worse than those he is condemning.

#64 sag38, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

It might be more interesting to note that the majority of EVERYONE thinks you are making a big deal out of "exposing" a history that is not hidden to begin with.

6. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Again, to a question you refuse to answer: Why single out the SBC when other denominations were guilty of the same thing? You think Southern Baptists have a problem? It's you who has the problem.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I was born in Northern California. Brother, you need to release your anger and bitterness and become free in Christ Jesus. :jesus:

8. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

Yeah, I'd say I did, so you made your bed, now lie in it. I guarantee you I can find much worse things in your family line than in mine. That much I am sure of. What you are doing here is causing division for your own gain, I presume, so wear the shoe, pal.

9. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I guess the part of me that is Caucasian should apologize to the part of me that is Cherokee, and the Caucasian part should pay reparations to the Cherokee part. I'll have to get a calculator and try to figure how much I owe myself. :rolleyes:

10. Monster

Monster New Member

This has to be the strangest means for hawking your wares that I've ever seen.

I wasn't even aware that is was an acceptable practice here on the BB. I gotta say though, if I were to try and push my books/writing I'd consider a different approach than this.

The idea is to increase interest and awareness not use combative means to turn folks away.

It's certainly been interesting. I'm considering a bag of microwave popcorn, some Goobers and a diet soda so I can really-really enjoy the show.

11. Monster

Monster New Member

Oh, and on the racial/cultural side of things; I'm Scott-Irish and Dutch-German. I hardly know which 1/4 of my heritage did the most harm to the other 3/4. It's a historic nightmare-toss-up. I've been asking myself for forgiveness and restitution endlessly for centuries of infractions, slights and aggressions...

...so far I've been unwilling to concede to myself for anything and I've not paid myself even the slightest recompense.

12. alvin

alvin New Member

Because the SBC was the only one that was"founded" on the defense of slavery in 1845. Look it up. Yes, the Methodists were involved as were the Presbyterians but never to the degree the baptists were. The baptists of the South were the ones that gave the biblical authority for slave ownership.

13. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Um, Alvin, no we are not all southerners.

NODAK is a common contraction for North Dakota.

'Nuff said.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Born and raised in Baton Rouge, Louisiana----now live south of Birmingham, Alabama

But here's my offer

YOU GIVE ME 300 ACRES OF LAND AND A JOB MAKING $75,000+/YEAR for the rest of my life to live on-----and I'll come live where you live---wherever it is you live!!:wavey::wavey::wavey: And I'd do what you want me to do----I'll "forget the whole thing"----in which---I already have forgotten the whole thing!!!

15. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

That is absolutely untrue. Look it up? You've got to be kidding. Want to compare doctorates? :rolleyes:

16. 12strings

12strings Active Member

There you are being confusing again: The person who used the term capet bagger, IS A DIFFERENT PERSON than those that made merchandise of the african...

...so again...
    and again...
    and again...

...WHAT IS YOUR POINT???

Because this is what your point sounds like:

"I know about some people in the past who had slaves...it wasn't you, but I want you to feel guilty about it."

17. alvin

alvin New Member

Consider

Perhaps, since many on this forum are quick to condemn a book they never read, and it it obvious they are completely blind to the role Southern Baptists played in defending slavery at least read some history of this era before waxing eloquently on the matter. Judging by the incredible insensitivity displayed by the comments I have read I am assuming a gross lack of information regarding slavery. It will never be the prerogative of white America to say "forget about it." My book will not be the last written on this subject as more and more people are becoming aware of the role religion played in slavery. At least read something on this matter.

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Now I'm quite sure that no one has said that slavery never happened. But no one on here NOW helped it to happen.

What current social issues might these be? I don't see how anyone ties slavery into modern day behavior and social norms.

So is this thread about your self-guilt? You're probably thinking more about it than they are. I want you to name me one Black person who has recently gone off the deep end and started screaming Southern Baptists terrorized my grandparents and because of that I don't want to have anything to do with them.

Do you also look at Blacks and feel deeply grieved at the role other Blacks played in the terror of their grandparents? After all, Blacks did sell slaves too.

Today? No, I don't think it's a problem. It just is what was just like the colonists killing the Indians.

??? Who said anything about burying it? Folks know this already. This isn't an issue of letting the past stay buried. This is an issue of why you're digging up what's been buried, prayed over and forgiven as though current SBC members owned slaves?

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I am from the deep, dirty South and just don't care who remembers it. It happened, and we will be quick to admit that it happened.

But it's time for folks to stop fashioning White against Black racism into some sort of idol upon which to get stuck and never let go.

If Jesus Christ brought up the sins of every individual as much as folks want to always bring up the sins of slavery, maybe it would shut folks up with trying to make folks who had nothing to do with slavery feel guilty about it.

If folks want to talk about racism in the world today, then fine do so. But all this rehashing of dead sin is purely of the devil.

I would venture to say that the nearly 80% of all Black babies being born out of wedlock today has been just as devastating to the Black community.

Why not write a book about that?

20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Of course religion played a role in slavery. Religion played a role in the enslavement of God's people Biblically too. The Egyptians weren't enslaving other Egyptians, but HEBREWS.

I completely suggest that folks forget about it and let the dead be dead. God has tasked us to snatch the LIVING from the fires. And time is slipping too quickly and folks are stepping into eternity. Ain't nobody got time to keep rehashing the same old, played out, let's make them feel guilty about what their ancestors did mess.

Is your book being written to bring glory to Christ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.