1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptists and the Atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Michael Wrenn, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

The new BF&M assets belief in substitutionary atonement. Does anyone have any idea of what percentage of SBC members and pastors would hold to penal substitution?

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of them, I hope.

Steve

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I'm going to say I have no clue, but I have not heard of any of the seminaries that disagree with penal substitution, at least not since the early nineties. So most pastors who came through after that would probably hold to it, and though many members might not know the language, if you asked them, "Did Jesus die for your sins and take the punishment you deserved so you would not have to" they would probably say yes.

Seeing the big deal that Al Mohler makes about penal substitution, I would assume that if one of the other seminaries moved away from that, they would have some sort of debate...But I haven't heard anything like that.