1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptists, Immigration, and doing the right thing

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ruiz, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What exactly do you propose? That we change our immigration laws? Or that we just allow people to cross our borders?

#61 Don, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2011
  2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, Paul; you're too idealistic. Can you give us one example where this is currently working? Where a "higher caste" doesn't exist, and isn't making money of the labor of others?

3. mandym

mandym New Member

Which is perfectly fine and certainly not immoral.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you use a Mexican as an example. Can you show me in the law where only Mexicans are considered illegals?

No, a person with a job skill needed by the United States is more likely to be granted permission. Yes, a Doctor may find it easier to come, but its simply a matter of need.
    If you owned a business, would you hire people with skills that you do not require in the operation of your business - I think not

I always love this - "I know ONE person" but will play this game. All right, so he comes to get his masters. While he is attending school, (at a hefty price at that - who will be supporting his family? The US government? - Is is moral for ME to support his family?.[/QUOTE]

As I said before - it is immoral to require me to pay, to support his family. Now, suppose he was going to Southwestern Baptist Seminary - and our church voluntary supported him so he could return to his home country to preach the Gospel - whole different story. you say he completed 2 years - how many more semesters did he have to go? Just curious - why did he give up?,

I dont think you have proven your case

1- In my taxi business, I often help people with their grocery bags - suppose someone has 20 bags (not unusual). One person gives me absolutely no tip to help them take their bags to the door, the next person gives me a $10 tip. Is the first customer treating me like a slave? Do you suppose I am going to give extra service to the one who gives me a generous tip?
    2- Comparing Abortion and Immigration is a poor analogy
    3. Our immigration laws are not based on race, gender, or socio-economic level.
    Do you have proof that only a certain % of immigrants must be of a certain race or gender. (I would love to see it). I have already discussed "socio-economic" It is based on needs of this country.
    Immigration quotas are based on country of origin.

Now some additional questions:
    1. Have you corresponded with your congressman to change the law?
    2. Have you contacted Mexico about their extremely strict immigration policies.
    3. If your home would be busting at the seams if 10 people were living there (at your personal expense) would it bother you if 5 more showed up and expected you to pick up the entire tab?
    4. Do you consider it immoral for me to be forced to pay living expenses for others?
    5. Is it right for a school teacher to have to deal with a class of 20, where 7 or 8 speak 2 or 3 different languages, other than English.
    6. Is it immoral that an illegal alien will be given "in-state" tuition rates, but an American Citizen must pay higher tuition just because he is from a different State? click here for info
    7. Does this report from Fla carry any weight for your opinion? How about this one from Virginia?
    8. Is it moral that over 300,000 anchor babies are born in the US (and most are paid for by the US taxpayer). Is it immoral that over 100 hospitals in Calif have closed because they were required by federal law to give ER to illegals?
    9. Is it moral that Americans are having to pay to house 30,000 illegal immigrants, every day in our jails? (video is 2/3 of the way down )

#64 Salty, Jun 18, 2011
  5. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Paul,

Economist MIlton Friedman answered your greed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsx1X8PV_A

The issue is when we begin choosing losers and winners, be make room for corruption. Your solution to dividing it up among many does not help either. Rather, it become a means of greater political clout and corruption becomes worse, not better.

6. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Don,

My previous posts have been clear. I do not want people who will harm America to cross the borders. So there should be some border control. However, I don't want anyone else excluded. This would be a huge change in border policy.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you say harm, are you only referring to an individual who might commit a crime such as murder, robbery, ect; or are you referring to harm, such as I referred to in post # 64?

8. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

That is up to the businesses to decide on who to hire and not hire. However, many immigrants with no skills are performing roles on farmland, in manufacturing plants, etc. Most of these are entry level positions. When in Seminary, for a short time, I worked with a Hispanic group of people who did industrial roofing.

No, the Government was not supporting his family. I would not want you to support his family unless through charity. Yet, this man came to our church, was very intelligent, but was not here for a handout. As for our welfare situation, that is another topic for another day. Yet, on the basis of these facts, would you not agree that the system was immoral?

He gave up because his wife could not join him. It is difficult to live without your family as they are in another country, and your wife is raising kids on her own. He had one more year remaining. I may be wrong about having completed two years, I know he completed a year, he may have left into the second year of his three year program.

BTW, you are making arguments against my scenario that I never made. I never asked you nor told you to support him and you are now arguing the immorality of the welfare state, not the issue we originally addressed, that is the immorality of the immigration laws. This is clearly a red herring.

Yet, your argument does not carry weight, the Heritage Foundation (a conservative think tank) noted the following:

"Most immigrant families have a positive net fiscal impact on the U.S., adding $88,000 more in tax revenues than they consume in services;"

and again:

"Social Security payroll taxes paid by improperly identified (undocumented) workers have led to a $463 billion funding surplus"

Thus, they are paying their own way and are propping up our social welfare state, not us propping up them. Thus, your red herring is just that, a red herring and an assumption that has a stereotype that is inaccurate.

There has been no rebuttals. There have been red herrings thrown at it, but no rebuttals therefore, by debate rules, it is the winning argument.

Your point?
    How so? Saying it is a poor analogy does not make it a poor analogy.

You are wrong, it is based upon socio-economic levels. You are more likely to make it into the United States if you have more means than if you do not.

My cousin married a woman who is not from this country. He had to marry her out of country because our country would not allow her into the States. Once they got married, it took several years to get her into the United States, a huge fight because she had no trade and was not rich. Their marriage was questioned and when legal proof was provided, they still did not allow her into the country. Years later, she finally was allowed. Had she been wealthy or had more means then she would have been allowed immediately.

I have been basing my statement on socio-economic conditions, not race or gender.

I think the quota system itself is immoral. However, according to the Immigration Policy Center, while we do take a very limited number of refugees the other two areas are family unification (which I have shown to be lacking) and jobs that help our economy (socio-economically beneficial). The latter is given a priority based upon economics and skills. In fact, the more money you have and are willing to invest in the United States, according to this Immigration Policy Center, the more likely you will be allowed in.

I am not sure if I have or not. Yet, I am a part of an organization that is for lightening immigration laws. My two Senators are on my side on this.

However, this does not answer the immorality of the laws themselves. You are turning the issue to me, not the issue. Thus this is a Red herring.

Another red herring question, but I am not Mexican, i am an American. I rarely if ever contacted a foreign country about their policies.

Red herring, see previous statements. They add to the economy according to the Heritage Foundation.

Red herring, it does not address the immorality of the law itself and is also based upon wrong facts.

Red Herrring, does not address the issue of the law itself.

Again, red herring. The issue is the immigration laws, not these other laws. As an economist I am against government subsidies of all education, including Americans. However, this is a red herring.

9. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry to get in to thread so late. I have read what is said so far and:

Ruiz, you have not proven anything except in your own mind.

I do not and never had condone illegal aliens (they are not immigrants as immigrants are legal). If we did what was needed to stop illegal aliens from coming here.
    The USA would increase the number of immigrants allowed over the borders because of need. These illegals are making it harder for those who want to come legally to get here.

Yes a Physician can come easier into this country not because they are more worthy but because we need them. We do not need more people who want to burden our welfare system and we do not need more people who want the government to take care of them. We have more than we need and they are homegrown.

The USA needs to make it so expensive to employers that willingly hire illegals that they make sure they only hire legals (immigrants and citizens).

I would like to see a law passed that states the welfare system is only for citizens (and this needs to be looked at but this would be a separate thread). If immigrates come to this country then they should be able to take care of themselves under normal conditions or they should have private sponsors so that the immigrant does not come with the intention of burdening the welfare system.

This is just general idea there is not enough room to go into detail.

P.S. notice the last paragraph does not state illegal aliens for they should not be here and should not be taken care of by the government at all.

#69 John Toppass, Jun 18, 2011
  10. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I am referring to criminal acts.

11. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

John,

My premise is that our current immigration laws are immoral because they put a price tag on humans. No one has offered a rebuttal.

Secondly, I quoted statistics in another post from the Heritage Foundation showing that immigrants and illegal immigrants put more money into our system than they use. Yet, your post is off topic and a straw man argument, because they use resources does not mean that our immigration policy is moral or immoral.

12. mandym

mandym New Member

First, you throw straw man and red herring around to easy. Means you have no argument. Second you have not proven it is immoral. What is the standard that shows they are immoral?

13. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Again, this is a red herring. These statistics does not show that our immigration policy is moral. As well, some of the statistics are misleading, but I will address some of those later. Yet, you are basing a moral argument on the cost of people. This is exactly what I am attacking. We judge the net worth of people merely on the basis of their net worth to us. That is highly immoral. You believe you are justified because finances=morality. I disagree. Morality is not based upon finances otherwise those who cheat to become rich are more moral than others. I reject that premise.

Again, I reject the premise as the premise seems to be argued that finances are the basis of morality. Yet, as I noted before, immigrants, legal and illegal, input more into the economy than they take out. I cited the Heritage Foundation's report. Thus, there can be a huge increase in costs, but they contribute more. As well, I have noted several times, that in cases where we have a poor or immoral system is not an argument for the immorality of our immigration policy. Arguing such is a straw man argument.

Again, because we have a broken system does not mean our immoral immigration policy is justified.

Again, this is a straw man argument. It does not mean our immigration policy is justified and it makes economics the center of morality, the premise of which I believe is immoral.

14. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Man,

Boy, you are hot. Have I used straw man and red herring inappropriately? If so, then I will recant them. However, if I use them properly then I have shown the fallacy in your argument. So, please, show me how I am wrong in the places I cited the red herring, straw man, or other fallacies I may have cited. If not, I believe they are correct and rightly addressed fallacies. Proper argumentation must have logic and where a fallacy occurs, it is proper to note it so that people are not infuenced by the argument being advanced and can see the poor reasoning. If the person citing the logical fallacy is wrong, it is up to the other side to show how it was not a logical fallacy. Thus, your "you throw straw man and red herring around to (sic) easy. Means you have no argument." is also a fallacy at Tu Quoque, or "you too" argument.

My standard of the basis of our immigration policy is that we base our policy upon a humanistic worth of people, not following that people are worth something because we were created in God's image, and should not be based upon economics as our current policy is. We should be no respector of persons. All of these are Biblical principles. I have said this to you a number of times. I hope you are reading my points instead of just hurling vast statements.

15. mandym

mandym New Member

The Center for Immigration Studies reported in 2004: "Households headed by illegal aliens imposed more than $26.3 billion in costs on the federal government in 2002 and paid only $16 billion in taxes, creating a net fiscal deficit of almost $10.4 billion, or $2,700 per illegal household.

http://cis.org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.html

16. mandym

mandym New Member

Uh..it is not a you too argument. More non argument from you.

Please site chapter and verse that suggests every person should be allowed across borders.

17. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Again, I cite the Heritage Foundation's literature. They are both conservative and their statistics are more up to date. As well, you are only figuring into the scheme income and payroll taxes. This is in error as you know because there is a vast amount of other taxes and residuals to taxes that are not considered. If you take in what I use in services and what I pay in payroll taxes, I too would be underwater. However, if you take into account all the other taxes and other additions I put into the economy, I contribute more. Thus, the problem with most surveys is that they do not take into account all these other factors.

Yet, you beg the question. Should we base morality on economics? You seem to want to avoid this question. Is something immoral because based purely on economics?

18. mandym

mandym New Member

Chapter and verse

19. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Another fallacy. This is supposed to be a rational discussion, I am surprised you have yet to engage rationally into this discussion.

Cite chapter and verse where they shouldn't.

I am basing it upon Principles. I am using the argument very similar to the Civil War argument against slavery. The South's argument was that slavery was allowed in the Bible and should be allowed in their day. They were able to cite Chapter and verse for their arguments, but there was a problem.

The main problem is that they refused to see the problem of American Slavery despite arguments for the humanity of man, the calls that slaves were human and created in God's image. My argument was based upon their argument, with almost no alteration. Thus, when you say my argument did not prove the point, you were arguing against theological arguments of the Civil War and called them a non-argument. Thus, I was happy for you to do so, as both history and theology have proven you wrong.

20. mandym

mandym New Member

I see, you cannot support your argument from a Christian and Biblical perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.