1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptists of Texas Link with BMA

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by imported_J.R. Graves, Dec 16, 2003.

1. imported_J.R. Graves

Supposedly there was a large article in a recent issue of the newspaper of the "Southern Baptists of Texas" regarding them linking up with the Baptist Missionary Alliance of Texas. The Southern Baptists of Texas are the conservative SBC convention in Texas, while the BMA are a group that pull out of the SBC 100 years ago over Landmark Baptist issues. There are currently 454 BMA churches in Texas. Does anyone have any additional information about this? The SBTC has a website - sbtexas.com - but they do not have any information about this posted.

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is in the December 15th issue of Southern Baptist Texan, page 3. It concerns an agreement with SBTC (Southern Baptist of Texas)and BMA (Baptist Missionary Association) to seek a partnership between BMA's Jacksonville College (2 year school) and the SBTC. The BMA is going to increase the size of the board from 13 to 15, reserved for SBTC folks. The article doesn't say it but I am sure that means some funding for the school via the SBTC. Basically both sides have said that they are conservative enough for each others kids to go to school together. (My take)

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although Jacksonville College is a two-year school, the Baptist Missionary Association Theological Seminary offers bachelor's and master's degrees.

The SBTC has been effectively shut out of the traditional avenues of Baptist higher education in Texas (Baylor, Truett, etc.) and is trying to diversify from Criswell College, I think.

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe not exactly related, but it has been fairly common for students, after finishing two-years at the BMAT's Jacksonville College, to take their next two years at the not too far away Southern Baptist East Texas Baptist University in Marshall, Texas. I don't know where ETBU falls in the SBTC/BGCT controversy.

5. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    East Texas Baptist University is an affiliate of the BGCT. Given the information you've posted, I suspect that the SBTC will attempt, in time, to use its affiliation with Jackson to steer folks from East Texas.

6. imported_J.R. Graves

7. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any word on how much the SBT will be providing?

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know but three seats don't come cheap!