1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptists offended

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Ben W, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Monday, 04/24/06
    Immigration debate divides Baptists
    Members want laws obeyed; immigrants join congregations

By ANITA WADHWANI
    Staff Writer

At a White House meeting last month, one of the Southern Baptist Convention's top leaders told President Bush that most Southern Baptists were "offended" that the government has not done more to enforce immigration laws.

A day later, Southern Baptists gathered in Atlanta to honor a Nashville Hispanic pastor as one of its top "missionaries of the year" for launching a record number of Tennessee Baptist churches — all of them Hispanic and many including undocumented immigrants among new Baptist converts.

As the U.S. Senate continues to debate sweeping new immigration policies, the controversy divides not only the nation, but also the nation's largest Protestant denomination, some 16 million strong.

Baptists want a get-tough policy to enforce the nation's borders, the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission President Richard Land said he told Bush on March 23.

But on what to do about those who are already here — and already Baptist — there is no such agreement, he said.

Continued - http://snipurl.com/plxx

2. billwald

billwald New Member

More evidence for banning politics in church.

3. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

I am not sure one man can speak for "most" Southern Baptists.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That generalization was inappropriate, IMO.

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Think about Onesimus: Paul still cared about him and his spiritual well-being, but still expected him to obey the law.

6. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Hope,

That is a *very* good point...

Paul after seeing Onesimus saved sent him home to face whatever punishment his master felt inclined to give. (Possibly even death?)

Even with Paul's Plea... Harsh punishment, possibly death, was still a possibilty...

What was the point?

Obeying the Law? Or, not taking advantage of a situation?

I think in the case of illegals...

A case for both can be made...

Mike Sr.
    You're not an Immigrant if you're illegal...

7. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

Very true! I second your statement!

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

What, christians can't be political? or christians can't discuss politics with other christian? or we shouldn't vote? or what? I don't understand, it's not some kind of official statement where SBC comes out with the announcement thats where SBCers stand, it was one mans statement about, it looks to me like, the opinions of 'some' SBCers. As far as I knwo there is no offical stance. And if there were I wouldn't care.
    I am one SBCer who thinks they should all be deported, if it is against the law do something about it.

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Land is in such a position (one he has mostly created) that even if he doesn't have a "mandate" from the SBC, he is viewed as speaking for the entire SBC, like it or not. What he should do is keep quiet. He is supposed to speak to the SBC about ethical issues not CNN. He ends up in most cases doing more harm then good.

10. KellyWhite

KellyWhite New Member

I don't think the illegal immigration issue is unique to Southern Baptists.

It is an AMERICAN issue!

11. J.R.Maddox

J.R.Maddox New Member

g2c...can you speak objectively to ant issue concerning the SBC. It seems to me that no matter what the SBC does or says...your gonna blast it. Does the SBC or her leaders do anything or say anything that you deem worthwhile? Or are you just against them for general purposes...or could it be sour grapes?

I am just asking?

12. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

No, Donna: and that is not what billwald said. The quote that you reproduced was
    There is a HUGE difference between Christians being "political," discussing politics, or voting. Politics should be kept out of the church. Moreover, if you are a "501c3" church, it's against the law.

Our Pastor is adamant about keeping politics out of the church, and it is working quite well for us. Politics and religion used to be mutually exclusive. Ah, how I yearn for the good old days...........

Regards,
    BiR

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Land is simply following the model of his predecessors. People either like Land or dislike him based on their own political biases. I am not a Land fan just because I don't care for him personally. He has been critical of the SBC in the past (Notably when Jerry Vines called Islam a religion founded by a pedophile) and Land is not afraid to speak his mind. That offends many.

14. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think so. Paul was writing to Philemon specifically to prevent punishment and, although he couches the threat wonderfully, he is telling Philemon that he should treat Onesimus exactly as he would treat Paul and, in fact, should send Onesimus back to help Paul.

Accordingly, though I am bold enough in Christ to command you to do what is required, yet for love's sake I prefer to appeal to you — I, Paul, an old man and now a prisoner also for Christ Jesus — I appeal to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I became in my imprisonment. ... I am sending him back to you, sending my very heart. I would have been glad to keep him with me, in order that he might serve me on your behalf during my imprisonment for the gospel, but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own free will. For this perhaps is why he was parted from you for a while, that you might have him back forever, no longer as a slave but more than a slave, as a beloved brother — especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.

So if you consider me your partner, receive him as you would receive me. If he has wronged you at all, or owes you anything, charge that to my account. I, Paul, write this with my own hand: I will repay it — to say nothing of your owing me even your own self. Yes, brother, I want some benefit from you in the Lord. Refresh my heart in Christ.

Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say.
    (Philemon 1:8-10, 12-21, ESV)

15. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's way too simplistic. I could like and respect Richard Land, but dislike his politics. For instance, I like James Dunn (former head of the BJCPA), but I don't care for his politics.

Yes. I've spent enough time around Richard Land over the years to know that I dislike his attitude, ego and character.

Especially, when the things that are on his mind betray the spirit of Christ.

For instance, he recently taught a class at Southwestern Seminary where he consistently referred to people with mental or physical handicaps as "defectives". A staff member of our church who has an obvious physical handicap tried to talk to him about it during a break, explaining how God uses his physical differences for his glory, but Land dismissed it. :rolleyes:

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So you are in favor of breaking the law? Maybe those who house such law breakers should join their ranks in prison as traitors.