1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Christian University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul33, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Accredited by SACS to offer degrees from bachelors to doctoral, has anyone had any experience with them?

Their Ph.D program in Biblical Studies appears structured and rigorous. It appears to be a good alternative for those who can't spend four years on a traditional university campus.

It may be a little too structured.

2. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I have been intrigued with SCU, as well. Their PhD in family counseling looks very good also.

3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

They are SDA, I think. Do you know?

4. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

I have been intrigued with SCU, as well. Their PhD in family counseling looks very good also. </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, I've had an eye on them for awhile since I have an interest in DE. Most marriage and family counseling programs suffer from the same boring monotony. The student learns the latest fad and buys into it. He gets stuck in the doldrums for the rest of his life. The fads change and the M&FC movement moves on to the next fad while the poor practitioner is left in the doldrums. Such is the fate of the M&FC and other counseling psychologies.

Poor old Larry Crabb has twisted himself into a knot trying to change and contort himself into the new fads with his counseling psychology. Others, such as Gary Collins, become old troglodytes teaching the same old outdated poppycock that they were taught.

IMHO, the standard M&FC program is so much bunk. It is all about transient methodologies and theories, which never work. And, I do counseling (did grad level work in both psychology and counseling). My best advice is to get a real degree in theology if you want to counsel.

BTW, I think SCU is SDA. Please correct me if I am wrong. Would you want a degree from a heretical SDA school?

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are SDA, I think. Do you know?

==According to ATS (Association of Theological Schools) Southern Christian University is part of the Churches of Christ. I could not find any information about denomination on their website. Seems like they are trying to cover up their denomination for some reason.

Martin.

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

I was wrong--they're not SDA. [​IMG] They're Church of Christ--works salvation. Thank you for the help. I ought to have looked it up before posting. Can't trust my memory any longer! Thanks again. ;)

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    paidagogos said:
    I was wrong--they're not SDA.

==Well you were not far off base. I had assumed they were Baptists! So I was much more off base than you were. When I saw the question I just looked it up, I was shocked. How many Christians are going to this school thinking it is a regular school? Wow, no wonder they cover up their denomination.

You said:
    They're Church of Christ--works salvation.

==Either way, SDA or CoC, we are talking works salvation.

You said:
    Thank you for the help. I ought to have looked it up before posting. Can't trust my memory any longer!

==Join the club... [​IMG]

Martin.