1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Evangelical Seminary & Temple Baptist Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by mjohnson7, May 17, 2005.

1. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on these two seminaries. I've noticed that Luther Rice's DL program is recommended quite a lot, but SES and TBS are not. Both schools are accredited by TRACS. I know that Tennesse Temple has applied for regional accreditation, I do not know if it would apply to TBS or if they will apply. SES is the school Norman Geisler founded. I have a friend in their on-campus program. Both of these schools offer masters with limited (usually week long modules) residency requirements. Your thoughts about these two seminaries are appreciated.

-matt

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt,

Generally speaking the following are some good "rules of thumb" to use.

What credentials do the particular profs with whom you want to study have?

Are their doctorates "in house," i.e., is the school "in-bred?"

Is there a "good mix" of doctoral and theological persuations w/earined doctorates?

Are the teaching doctorates from accredited schools and programs?

Do they have many "DMins" teaching?

Are there any PhDs from secular universities who also have masters in religious studies?

Do you want to do academic preparation or preparation for ministry?

Do you want a "quick degree" or "quality education?"

These issues and others speak to the rigor of the programs. DL can be good if the program requirements are good. That is why accreditation comes up so many times on the posts on the BB. They generally guarantee a level of scholastic attainment.

It would seem to me that your friend who is on-campus could give you a good first-hand account of the seminary.

Just some general things to consider!

sdg!

rd

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rhetorician makes alot of great points that I really can't add to. I would like to see all three (LRS, SES, TBS) gain regional accreditation. I know that LRS is on that road and I think SES is making the plans. TRACS accreditation is great but does carry some limitations with it. Before you attend any seminary (DL or on campus) you should check with the denomination/school (etc) that you wish to work for or transfer credits/degrees to and verify that they will accept a TRACS only degree.

Martin.

4. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am in the DL program at SES. Since I have not attended any other seminaries, it's hard for me to compare the rigor of the programs. And I haven't done the extensive comparison from Rhetorcian's list, but I do know that:
    --Most of the prof's have taught at other recognized, regionally-accredited seminaries and universities, such as Dallas.
    --The doctorates are not in-bred. If nothing else, it's because it's a relatively new seminary (about 13 years old), and they didn't have a doctroate program in the beginning. So I think ther reason you don't hear more about SES is that it's just not been around as long as other seminaries.
    --There is a good mix of educational/theological persuasions. For what it's worth, Dr. Geisler is a baptist, although now he pastors the church that meets at the seminary.
    --From my personal experience, I'd say it's a rigorous program. Every class has required me to read about 600 to 1200 pages, and it takes me a minimum of about 20 hours a week per class to do a good job.
    --The distance learning part of SES involves DVD's of the class lectures, so you're seeing the exact same thing as the people on site.
    --The areas that set SES apart from other seminaries is the empasis on apologetics and the philosophical foundations of christian and non-christian thought. You won't find those emphasis anywhere else that I know of.
    --The profs names are the ones you'll recognize from the apologetics shelf at your seminary library.
    --SES offers regular on-campus semester classes, as well as one-week "modules" that are open to externals and on-campus folks.

5. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

thanks to all for the posts. i should have maybe put a little more info about myself in the original. i earned my BS through Liberty's DL program. i'm very familiar with the pros and cons of tracs vs. ra.....i was just curious about everyone's personal opinions as to why these two schools, which are reputable and will likely gain regional accreditation, are not recommended as much a say lrs. i'm not considering attending either at this time, however i would be interested in ses at a later time because of their emphasis on apologetics.

-matt

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Southern Evangelical is still young. I suspect within a few years they will start to be better well known. I agree that Southern will, one day, get regional accreditation. As for Temple...I don't know. I looked into that school a year or so ago(not to attend, just curious). Looks like a good school to me. However they seem very general. I would like to see Temple, and Luther Rice, offer concentrations in their MDiv programs (mainly since LRS has done away with most of its MA programs). One the things I love about Southern is its apologetics focus or concentration. I attended their apologetics conference back in Novemeber. During that conference I got to sit under the teaching of many great men of God (Geisler, Caner, Rhoades) and many who are teachers at SES. I was very impressed by these men. I loved Leventhal's lecture on the Passion movie, Blythe's lecture on the Di Vinci Code, and Turek's message on the resurrection of Christ. I am thinking about attending again this year. I would attend SES if they were regionally accredited. [​IMG]

Martin.