1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Evangelical Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Dr. Bob, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A poster asked me to start this thread in a Baptist-only area:

"Is Southern Evangelical Seminary a new evangelical school?" Norman Geisler is the president of this school. The school is located in Charlotte, NC.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I just saw this post as I don't usually check in on this forum!

I am an off-campus student at SES and have 30 hrs. It is a rather new school. Dr Geisler co-founded it in 1992, I think.

It is very Bible and Christ centered with a strong emphasis on apologetics -- no big surprise since Dr. Geisler is one of the best apologists around.

Dr. Geisler wanted to start a school that offered a degree in apologetics. I think at the time SES was founded, no seminary had a degree in apologetics. Since then, several schools have started offering degrees in apologetics and adding more apologetics courses. I believe it was the influence of SES.

The courses and profs are excellent. I've learned a lot!

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it baptistic? I'm not a Geisler fan, but appreciate the work he has done for the Body of Christ.

Also you spoke of "external" program. Any info would help.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

SES is not affiliated with any denomination, but I believe that Dr. Geisler has in the past attended and been a member of a So Baptist church. However, SES has now started their own chapel services so I am not sure of Dr. G's status on that now. As far as the beliefs go, I would say they are compatible with Baptist beliefs -- not sure what you mean by "Baptistic."

The external program is the off-campus program. They offer a Masters in Religion and Masters in Apologetics this way. One takes the courses off-campus but must attend 4 modules (a one week intensive with all the lecture hours and work or tests due later).

You might get more info from their site at
    www.ses.edu

I hope this helps!

5. Dave G.

Dave G. New Member

Geisler left the Evangelical Free Church over the heretical teachings of some of their professors at their denominational seminary. I don't recall whether he quit or they ejected him because he refused to turn a blind eye, but more power to him. I don't agree with Geisler on everything (i.e., old earth creation) but I would not describe him as "New Evangelical". He also recently cut ties with ETS over that society's refusal to discipline its members advocating open theism.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I was not aware that Dr Geisler advocated old earth creationism, but I want to point out that not all the profs or students at SES agree with that. In fact, my OT professor gave a refutation of Hugh Ross in class when we were doing Genesis.

I also admire Dr. Geisler for standing up for truth at Trinity and for quitting the ETS over Open Theism.

7. Nord

Nord New Member

I believe that SES just finished a new campus. They are TRACS accredited http://www.tracs.edu
    TRACS is an accrediting agency (conservative Christian) that is recognized by both the US Dept of Education and CHEA.

As an aside, Bob Jones University has made application to TRACS to become accredited. They feel that they will not have to compromise doctrinally and yet will be able to provide the benefit to students that having an accredited degree will bring.

Nord

8. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

However, TRACS still does not carry the credibility of regional accreditation. There are some weak schools among them. To get their DOE and CHEA approval, they had to go to court using the old three by three rule.

9. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Of course Geisler is Neo-Evangelical. What else do you think he is? A Fundamentalist? :D He has taught at Neo-Evangelical schools, he holds the same views as Neo-evangelicals, and he associates with them. What more do you need?