1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Evangelical Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anybody here familiar with Southern Evangelical Seminary (Charlotte)?

It is Norman Geisler's school, he is the current president (though I have heard that Dr. John Ankerberg is being courted to be the new president). The schools main focus is apologetics. Thus they have the Masters of Arts in Apologetics, and a Masters of Divinity in Apologetics, and a DMin in Apologetics as their main programs. Dr Leventhal informed me in a email that the school is working on a PhD in apologetics (which I would be interested in at a future date no doubt). Their current apologetics curriculum is mainly counter cult.

I attended their apologetics conference back in Novemeber. Speakers included Dr Ron Rhoades, Norman Geisler, Hank Hanegraaff, Ergan Caner, Barry Leventhal,Peter Kreeft, Larry Blythe, Frank Turek, and others. I was very impressed with the focus of the school (which was pushed during the conference).

They offer on campus programs, as well as distance education. A person can earn a MA/Apologetics through distance with limited campus time. A MDiv/Apologetics can be earned through distance as well, but a bit more campus time is required (for languages). They now offer a BA/Religious Studies, a Diploma/Religious Studies, a Masters of Arts/Religion, a Certificate in Apologetics, Divinity or Islamic Studies.

Yes the school is accredited by TRACS (and I imagine will gain more as time passes, the school is still young).

Anybody had any experience with SES?

Their website would be helpful, right?

www.ses.edu

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

If one leans toward an evidentialist apologetics, I think one would benefit from SES. Those who are more presuppositionalist would probably exerience some tension, as well as those who are reformed in their soteriology.

They must still be pretty small. I notice their resident faculty, though well qualified, is comprised of only seven men, including Geisler and the librarian. This is not a criticism, only an observation. BTW, SBTS began with only four profs.

Bill

3. Dave G.

Dave G. New Member

I spoke with the dean there a year or two ago, following their accreditation by TRACS, and asked if they intended to pursue regional accreditation. He said no, that they had what they believed was needed. While RA would certainly smooth their graduates' road into most Ph.D. programs, the school may develop a reputation that accomplishes that anyway.

Solid school.

4. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Dave G.

Are you my pal in Northern Cal???

Bill G.

5. Dave G.

Dave G. New Member

'Tis me. I'll send you an e-mail.

Dave