1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern fires 94 people

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by go2church, Mar 15, 2005.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really sure what to think about this one

Southern Seminary article

I guess if they were going to be saving money...but that doesn't seem to be the major concern. Somehow this is going to enable them to focus more on theological education. Even though some international students now are going to have a bit of visa trouble. Again, I don't know what to think about this one. Will mull it over and get back to ya.

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

I don't know what's going on either, but I'm not surprised to see ABP putting a negative spin on it: "Employees were upset by the news, according to reports. There are couples losing their jobs, as well as others who provide the sole support for their families. Four of the employees are international students, whose employment options are limited because they are here on student visas. Smith said the seminary and Sodexho are investigating legal questions about their employment."

According to what reports? Couples are losing their jobs, but will they not be able to work for the new company? "Anonymous reports" and an article written by "ABP staff." One would think that such a short article could have been written by one, named, person.

Of course, we all hate to see people negatively affected by moves that employers/administrators believe in the best interest of the institution. I know the administration at SBTS, and I'm sure that measures are being taken to aid the persons affected by this change.

Blessings,
    Bill

3. NateT

NateT Member

It is always sad to hear of people losing their jobs. It is also sad to hear of people who are the sole support of their families losing their jobs. However, they are being allowed to interview for the same job with the company that is coming in. I don't know how many will get their same job back, but I would bet the grounds people here at SBTS will look pretty similar come April 1.

It also doesn't surprise me too much. The goal here has been to equip pastors, teachers, missionaries, etc. Not manage people who are doing repairs etc.

As to how it affects the education, someone's responsibility was to oversee the maintenance group. He probably had a boss, and perhaps that boss had a boss. If he now moves into something other than overseeing them, that is two or three people who are not focusing on something besides education.

Best case would have been a deal with this company that would guarentee a job to any current employee that wanted to switch companies.

Just my 2 cents.

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still mulling. Considering the ABP comment, now as well.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Thank you for sharing such a positive and encouraging story.

... Terrible, liberal, secular press ...

6. NateT

NateT Member

On a side note, since when is people feeling upset when they lose their job considered newsworthy? I mean, if I lose my job at the company I'm working for right now, I'll be upset.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well here is my take. The seminary probably did the "right thing" in having another do the maintence to a company that does this type of stuff all the time. Seems to me to be a PR problem more then anything. They did the right thing, but probably in the wrong way, as far as people skills stuff goes.

That ABP picked this up as news probably has more to do with the number, 94 is a pretty big number of folks to lose a job at one time, and the seemingly lack of preperation that the workers received concerning the change.

Again that is seemingly, there may have been more warning then we are currently aware of.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

PR always plague us Baptists (especially Southern)

9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broadus said:

"According to what reports? Couples are losing their jobs, but will they not be able to work for the new company? 'Anonymous reports' and an article written by 'ABP staff.' One would think that such a short article could have been written by one, named, person."

It was a condensation of the Courier-News story:

BAPTIST SEMINARY DISMISSES 94 WORKERS

10. Broadus

Broadus Member

Thanks, rsr, for finding the original story.

I'm not so sure this is a PR problem because of a lack of preparation on Southern's part. Whenever a decision is made that affects so many people, there are going to be negative ramifications regardless of the preparation. The Courier-Journal is not typically a friend of Southern---SBTS is much too conservative for C-J's taste (I was a subscriber for seven years). On the whole, though, I think the ABP would have served readers better if they had simply carried C-J's original article.

Regardless, I hope that between natural attrition and hiring by the new company, the displaced workers will be able to find new jobs.

Blessings,
    Bill

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just fits right along with the secular mindset of outsourcing. I believe evry seminary student ought to be required to work in seminary. I have seen some lazy people studying to be pastors. Some of their parents "own an oil well."

The SBC could save a lot of money by getting rid of five other presidents and just having one.

If I remember right the seminary also got rid of its child care too.

Just reminds me of another case of what Baylor University had done by hiring non-believers. What a example to mix the world with theological education. Southern is supposed to be teaching the Bible and obedience but here they are mixing the secular pracices of the business world and religion. They have now lowered themselves to be equal with the world. Mohler is still a young kid and will hurt the seminary and SBC by this move.

Never once have I ever seen any benefit by this kind of an arrangement.

12. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

:rolleyes: