1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Gospel Fans

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by patrioticcamerican, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Lifter

Lifter New Member

Love SGM. Just got home from a Signature Sound service. One of their new songs is Gaither's "This Could Be The Dawning of That Day." They tagged it with "Until Then." WOW.
    We're having the Dove Brothers at our church Sunday night.
    Do any of you go to the National Quartet Convention?

2. Rookiepastor

Rookiepastor New Member

Lifter during all the years I was living in San Diego... I wanted to be close enough to go to NQC...

And now that I am within 120 miles of it... other commitments have kept me from going...

I hope to be able to go this year...

What do you think of the spiked hair that Ernie and the guys are doing now?

I really enjoy the Dove Brothers as well.

God Bless

3. Gib

Gib Active Member

Not a fan of SGM, good lyrics or not.

4. patrioticcamerican

Wow... I guess it is just a style of music preference... but have you ever heard the following songs?

'When He was on the cross, I was on His mind" Florida Boys

I'll Worship Only at the Feet of Jesus - Gaither Vocal Band

Wedding Music - Catherdals
    I Thirst - Catherdals

God on the Mountain - McKameys

Midnight Cry - Ivan Parker

There Rose a Lamb - Gold City

Love Grew Where the Blood Fell - John Starnes

The Lighthouse - The Hinsons

All of these have great messages.

Casting Crowns has some good stuff out there, very powerful... the message is almost as powerful as some of the better southern gospel music.

But to each his own.

God Bless
    </font>[/QUOTE]Those are great songs! I've heard most of them, and you're right, they do have a powerful message! [​IMG]

5. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

[​IMG] I absolutely LOVE David Phelps singing "No More Night"....his voice and THAT song just puts me on shouting ground EVERYTIME!!!
    ..gives me goosebumps!
    "even so Lord Jesus...COME!"

(I just wish he'd stay away from the CCM stuff and stick to traditional type gospel or southern gospel music...the man has a gift that is too good to see spoiled)

Greg Sr. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

Ah now, he's just leaving himself room to broaden his veiwing audience. [​IMG]

7. delly

delly New Member

David Phelps is awesome no matter what he sings. Gregory, I agree. I get goosebumps too. lol There is nothing weak about Southern Gospel music. I can stand to listen to some CCM, but not a lot. Too much repitition in the songs. They are almost trance like. Now, give me a good hand clapping, foot stomping, rhythm in my soul type gosptel song and I feel like shoutin', but I also love the beautiful ballad type songs. I usually sing ballads myself as I have a Patsy Cline type voice. There's not much Southern gospel that I don't like.

8. patrioticcamerican

I've never heard of David Phelps. But I just bought a Kingsmen CD today! It's great--it's one of those compilation of classic songs. (Gospel Legacy All Time Favorites Series) It has songs like "Wish You Were Here" and "The Apple Tree Song." I also got a Carroll Roberson CD. Anyone else listen to him?

9. delly

delly New Member

PA, David Phelps sings tenor with the Gaither Vocal Band. You should pick up one of their cds sometime. A few years back, they did a show where they sang the "Star Spangled Banner" accapella. If it's goosebumps you wanta feel, you should listen to them doing that. David Phelps is one of the best tenor singers ever.

I love Carroll Roberson and I have about ten of his cds. I also have quite a few of his accompaniment tapes and sometimes do his songs. Yes, I have a low voice, but it still sounds feminine. We have a 3 night Gospel Songfest every year the first weekend in July at the building where I work, so I have met him many times. We have many of the most famous groups in SGM. Groups like The Hoppers, The Isaacs, Dove Brothers, Ivan Parker, The Freemans, Jeff and Shari Easter, Carroll Roberson, The Bishops (who no longer sing together), Greater Vision, Gold City, the McKameys, the Kingsmen, the Steeles; just to name a few. We have an awesome time. It is my favorite event of the year.

I wish I could go to NQC, but you have to book accomodations a few years in advance because they are booked solid for the next year before this year's event even gets started. I get to listen to some of it on radio as the dj's from our gospel station go every year and broadcast it back to us. I was listening the last year the Cathedrals sang and Glenn Payne was in the hospital dying. While they were on stage, a phone call was made and the whole world heard Glenn talking to George Younce. The whole performance was very moving. Glenn died shortly after that.

10. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I love that good old down home Gospel music Whether it's SGM or Bluegrass Gospel.

11. patrioticcamerican

Me too. Wow, we have a lot of SGM threads going, don't we?

12. Kayla

Kayla New Member

I like the Dartts, if you click the website above that is there website. They are great. Stony is a real nice guy the son, when I was 6 or 7 years old and he was around 15 or 16 I had a crush on him real bad you know the little girl crushes ok you guys have no idea but I do. And woman maybe but I would listen to them all the time. I still have trouble speaking around him when he comes to our church even though he is balding now and unmarried.

13. Kayla

Kayla New Member

oh yeah did I metion the gospel cruise they have every year. go to Gospel Fest Cruise homepage BTW the group on there Living Sacrifice are from my hometown. I see them all the time live. They are great I have almost all their Cd's (they just cut a new one). I think.?.?.

14. patrioticcamerican

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of your wonderful responses to my topic. I'll be back to the forum this summer. Keep enjoying those great CDs and groups. I am looking forward to possibly seeing the Inspirations live this year. :)

15. savedgirl63026

savedgirl63026 New Member

I like Southern Gospel. I especially like getting southern gospel songbooks and then singing out of them, using the songs. Whoa...powerful songs!!!

Jamie [​IMG]

16. pcs1991

pcs1991 New Member

I have the same cd. Love it. My dad has heard Carroll Roberson but I don't know if he has any of his cd's

17. pcs1991

pcs1991 New Member

I believe that SG is God's music. Greater Vision is probably my favorite group.

18. pcs1991

pcs1991 New Member

I listen to the gospel highway online. I will also try posting a pic of me with Greater Vision later and when I can figure how to do so.

19. delly

delly New Member

pc Greater Vision is also one of my favorite groups. They are so awesome. I love their current song "Faces".

20. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NQC is the best. We missed it last year; the first miss in years.

I was just listening to Gaither Vocal Band's CD "Everything Good" this morning. I sure do miss the SG greats that have gone on. Jake Hess, Howard & Vestal Goodman, and so many more ... they were fabuloso!

PJ