1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Seminary (SBTS) Turing Reformed

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broadus,

As to signing the Abstract of Principles, I took about 1/3 of my MDiv at UnionU. SBTS flew the profs down weekly for the "Monday Only" program. I made great friends with one of the profs who was to the "left" of me but was in no way an inerrantist.

But, he had a "high view" of the Scripture nonetheless. This was pre-Al Mohler about 1992-95. This prof said the way they got around the Abstract was that they "agreed to TEACH in accordance with..." the Abstract. They did not agree to "BELIEVE" the Abstract. That is how they got around the issue ethically. It seemed then as it does now a justification of the postions taken. This is what I saw and heard with my own ears and eyes.

It must be remembered also that the original profs of SBTS were trained in the Reformed tradition, so being soteriologically particular in redemption was just the natural outcropping of who they were. Thye were particular redmeption Baptist.

I think what Paige was/is trying to say is that there are both the Calvinistic/educated clergy in our roots as well as the more pietistic less educated stream who also had an Arminian bent. Broadus can probably speak to this more than me because he is trained as a church historian.

There has been some backlash. I understand this has happened because the student/pastor grads SBTS produce are more theological along the lines of the Doctrines of Grace rather than being soul winners. Again, maybe Broadus can help and speak to the issues I have raised. His time on campus is more recent than mine. I have been out of the loop for a long time and have been running in the college/academic circles in my own discipline.

Whatdayathink?

Help us (me) out here Broadus.

sdg!

rd

2. izzaksdad

izzaksdad New Member

koreahog,

Awesome website "old man"! [​IMG]

I pray that you and your family would remain safe, and that you would have divine strength and grace to carry on!

I would say your Pastor is a 3pter- possibly 4? What are you hearing about his successor? I k now you are in South Korea, but surely you are keeping up with the biggest news in the SBC right now.

3. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

Izzaksdad, thanks for your prayers and the compliment on the web site. I don't know who my pastor's successor will be. There was a lot of speculation at the beginning of the process, but I haven't heard anything lately. As for his stand on 5-point Calvinism, he's definitely not a 5-pointer. His classification would depend on how he defines each point.

[ February 16, 2005, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: koreahog2005 ]

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

hmmm...SBTS is "turning" Reformed?

I thought they already were pretty well reformed...

5. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    preachinjesus,

My comments ought to be taken in the overall historical context(s). It has turned "reformed" since Dr. Mohler has been there in contradistinction to what it was in the 70s & 80s. That is what I meant by "turning reformed!"

I hope that clears it up for you. I thought you might understand that what it is-is not what it has always been.

sdg!

rd

6. Broadus

Broadus Member

Your prof was making a distinction without a difference. There is no way to teach what you don't truly believe, and that fact will be manifest in some way. For instance, I had a couple of "left-over" profs on campus, and there was no question that they rejected the doctrine of election as stated in the Abstract.

For the record, the doctrine of election in the Abstract is defined thusly: "Election is God's eternal choice of some persons unto everlasting life---not because of foreseen merit in them, but of His mere mercy in Christ---in consequence of which choice they are called, justified and glorified."

Not only is it impossible to teach in accordance with the Abstract while believing otherwise, it is also unethical. The following statement is a part of the original charter of SBTS adopted in 1858, before the seminary actually opened in 1859: "Every professor of the institution shall be a member of a regular Baptist church; and all persons accepting professorships in this seminary shall be considered, by such acceptance, as engaging to teach in accordance with, and not contrary to, the Abstract of Principles hereinafter laid down, a departure from which principles on his part whall be considered grounds for his resignation or removal by the Trustees." As James P. Boyce, who would be the first president of the seminary, wrote, "His agreement with the standard should be exact. His declaration of it should be based upon no mental reservation, upon no private understanding with those who immediately invest him into office."

That is true. They were convinced that such is what the Bible teaches.

I think the "Sandy Creek Baptists" were more Calvinistic than they are often thought to be. Many of them were converted as New England Congregationalists under the preaching of George Whitefield, the Calvinistic Anglican whose followers would later establish Calvinist Methodist churches (sounds like an oxymoron, doesn't it?), especially in Wales. An interesting and well-documented article can be found at http://www.founders.org/FJ44/article3.html .

Anytime teaching goes against the current, there is tension. Although Rhetorician does not believe this, unless I misunderstand him, many make the specious argument that those who hold to the doctrines of grace are not involved with or see the need for evangelism. Speaking as a five-point Calvinist myself who serves on the board of directors of a missions agency, our problem is usually that which passes for evangelism in our evangelical culture, in which salvation is an "asking Jesus into your heart" with little emphasis upon repentance and faith, the holiness of God and the rebelliousness of the sinner, and the mercy and grace of God in saving those who should justly be consigned to hell. BTW, I know 3- and 4-pointers who have the same issue with that same kind of superficial "deciding" for Jesus. A well-considered response can be found at http://www.founders.org/FJ45/editorial_fr.html , stating the reformed Baptist response to the charge. Another good article expressing the same concerns about evangelism and written by David Wells, referred to in another thread, can be found at http://www.baptistpillar.com/bd0134.htm .

Have some reformed grads/pastors created unnecessary tensions and divisions? Doubtlessly, just as some have done the same in trying to change their church's worship from tradtional to contemporary, supporting or opposing women pastors, seeking to bring other races into their churches, trying to change their church into a little Saddleback, etc. Men can create tensions and divisions, some avoidable and others unavoidable, when they seek any change, good or bad.

Blessings,
    Bill

7. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Dear Broadus,

You have once again spoken well and more eloquently than me. Thank you for your insight and exposition.

I think you and I are "on the same page!" I meant to make it clear that the "backlash" was that the recent Doctrines of Grace grads (MDiv pastors) were not necessarily "winning souls" in the tradtional SBC way or method. This is what I understood had been the point of concern for some @ SBTS.

You are correct in your assessment and critique. I appreciate the fact that you "cleaned up my mess." Anytime there is a paradigm shift that was so radical as what happened @ Southern, then there is going to some positives as well as negatives created.

Having said that, you and I probably could recount young theologues who have "come into the Doctrines of Grace" as it were and then forget what it is to witness. Some, may even out of a reactionary spirit, take the road to "High Calvinism" and quit witnessing completely. But, generally they come back with a more understandable Gospel witness that is Christ centered rather than man centered. The whole issue for those on both sides of the issue(s) could be that of perceptions?!

As always, I appreciate your insight, friendship, and scholarship!!

By the by, all of the above is IMO!! (That is all we have is our own learned opinion).

sdg!

rd

8. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Broadus (Bill),
    Incredibly well stated. I agree with you 100%.

9. Broadus

Broadus Member

Rhetorician and JGrayhound,

Thank you for your kind affirmation.

Blessings,
    Bill

10. 3John2

3John2 New Member

Didn't the Baptist church in general START OUT as Reformed? At least that was my understanding then about 200 or perhaps years ago it started change.

11. Jensen

Jensen New Member

Two Questions:

1) How can a person be Unconditionally Elect (U) and and resist this election (grace)...(not I)

2) What is the eschatological view held by SBTS or many of the prof.s?

12. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jenson,

I have no idea if there is a consensus of eschatology @ Southern, I doubt that there is. I will have to leave that to someone else's up to date info.

The answer to the first is not one of the more complicated of the Doctrines of Grace questions. We all are rebels in heart and "do resist the Holy Ghost" as Stephen said. God woos us and wins us over by the preaching of the Gospel and by His Spirit showing us the excellencies of Christ. He regenerates us, gives us faith and repentance, enables us to use what he has given and then we use "our free will" (that has really been set free in regeneration) to repent and believe the Gospel. As Spurgeon said, it it "All of Grace!"

A real theologian may want to come on and clarify the issues a bit more.

sdg!

rd

13. Jensen

Jensen New Member

Thanks...I was trying to figure out how you can have a T,U,and P without the I and L.

If God has foreknown from the beginning and predestined those He foreknew...then called those He predestined. Then all those who He called are then justified and then glorified. My loss in the loop is... How can someone God has called & elected resist the call? They cannot. Is not that what Irresistable Grace is...(Effectual Calling)? All that the Father gives...comes!

14. Broadus

Broadus Member

It runs the gamut, but all believe in the literal, physical return of Christ.

Blessings,
    Bill

15. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "By Joe" Jensen,

"I think you've got it!" Keep reading and asking questions. I am sure there are some who are much more intelligent than me about the "Ordo Salutis" (come on in here Dr. Bob, UZTHD, and Broadus) who came help us along our way.

All that the Father has elected (for His glory and for his own purposes), the Son dies to secure, and the Holy Spirit regenerates in time by the preaching of the Gospel. We have no idea whom these are. But we; work, pray, give, go, send, witness, translate, exegete, preach, study, do missions, start orphanges, start hospitals, etc., et al "to the praise of His glorious grace!"

Firstly, because God has commanded it. And secondly, God has ordained it (these) to be the means by which he would bring His own to himself through (by) Christ's work. Thirdly, he has been pleased from the foundation of the world to include his creatures in his plan to be (some of) His means ( preaching the Gospel in its many forms) to His end. I am using the "preaching of the Gospel" here in all of its "good work" iterations.

I have an evangelist friend, Sam Cathey, that use to say: "God is able to start what He has finished!"

Consider this question: Did Christ die to make salvation possible; or did he die to actually save? The way you answer this question may determine if you (generic you) believe in a General view of the Atonement or a Particular view of the Atonement. Think about it!

I hope this helps some little bit.

sdg!

rd

16. Broadus

Broadus Member

RD,

You're doing just fine!

Blessings,
    Bill

17. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Very well said! [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Very well said, indeed.

A 3 point Calvinist from Massachusetts

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember, a 3-pointer is an Arminian!! For most of us reformed types, you are either a calvinist or not.

Anything less than 5 is not acceptable! ;) ;)

19. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob,

Isn't that a little extreme!! I should say so!!! However, I am in COMPLETE agreement with you. Being a "little Calvinistic" is like being a "little pregnant!" The adjective and the noun used together make the whole descriptor an oxymoronic nondescript. Carry on!

sdg!

rd

20. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

[​IMG] I'm glad I'm not a "Calvinist" or an "Arminian"...I'm just a plain ole Bible Believer....! :rolleyes: [​IMG] ;)

John 3:16...."For God so loved the WORLD,that He gave His only begotten Son,that WHOSOEVER believeth in Him should not perish,but have everlasting life."

God Bless ya'll!

Greg Sr. [​IMG] [​IMG]