1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southwestern adopts statement asserting male headship

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Revmitchell, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I am not talking about this particular man, but about a man that believes those things which Baptist believer has posted.

Lol. Your so funny..

According to nearly every book on theology that own, which is substantial, heresy is any theological position which is denied by orthodox Protestant Christianity. This includes annihilationism.

Heresy is different than "damnable" heresy.

I understand it well enough to know that it is wrong. I do not appreciate the attacks against my intelligence. Attack my position; please refrain from attacking my person.

Yeah, because scripture always speaks of how we should put up with false doctrine..:rolleyes:

Why is it so cursedly difficult for people to obey scripture?

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You called his character into question in a previous post. You believe that annihalitionism is heresy, Dr. Ellis believed in annihilationism. Ergo...

No this is a poor definition, by trying to make the distinction there is "heresy" and there is "damnable heresy" is not wise. If you believe it is false teaching, that is fine. But you can't call it heresy of any kind. The Church, historically, has not made the distinction between the two kinds in any way that is helpful.

Hersy is the denial of the essential elements of orthodox Christianity. It includes the Trinity, deity of Christ, virgin birth, sinless life, death and resurrection, and second coming.

That wasn't an attack on your person. I simply said you probably don't understand the position. It is because you haven't read thoroughly not because you're an idiot. I don't think you're an idiot. I believe you are misinformed in this area.

Annihalationism isn't a false doctrine and reports of it being so should be reconsidered. It is simply a view of what happens after we die. Dr. Ellis' view, as I talked with him about it, is more complicated than just saying "Oh he's an annihilationist and a heretic." Many profound Christian theologians have held annihilationism throughout the years, many of them have contributed mightily to the corpus of thought for the Church.

The cursedly difficult thing here is that we can't hear our vocal inflections through the keyboards. One of the great limitations of our communication. Be sure I am not lambasting you or yelling but simply speaking with as much conviction as you hold. :)

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

A person can have an impeccable character, yet be a heretic. I am not calling his character into question. I am calling his doctrine, and the suitability of that doctrine for a Southern Baptist funded church, into question.

No, it is the proper definition.

Harpers Bible dictionary:
    " deviation from the accepted teaching or practice of the dominant Christian community"

Tyndale:
    "A sectarian group or teaching that deviates from the norm."

Annihalationism is indeed heresy.

I know what annihalationism is. It directly contradicts scripture, the BF & M, and has no place in the beliefs of a Southern Baptist Seminary professor. There are too many unemployed, or poorly employed Southern Baptist professors...

It is indeed a false teaching, and heresy.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

We are way off topic and we've gotten into a rather strident debate. We've had one warning so far about "mudslinging" which has gone unheeded.
    Fellowship forums have slight lattitude when delving into debate/discussion. This isn't just a place to sing choruses. However, this is never an appropriate place for attacks and for rancor. We can discuss merits in ways that are more in tone with fellowship than this.

Therefore......

Reprise the theme song and roll the credits.....

#64 TomVols, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.