1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sovereign Grace as it should be!

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by TCassidy, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was just an illustration. I have never even worn a kilt. But....hypothetically, mind you.... if I were wearing a Hillary Clinton pant suit I would probably head for the men's. Laugh

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC

I am not sure what to call it.....but it is something.
    I do not agree with your assessment as I have posted previously. I believe you want to see agreement on this point but we are talking past each other so it will not happen.

As long as passages like jn 6:37-44 are in the bible , it is God's revealed truth to man.

This teaching that God has revealed to man does not change even if John Calvin has never been born. Would you understand it better if I called it Jesusism?
    I could present straight scripture verses alone with no "theological terms "and present the identical teaching. The same people who oppose it under the term or description as Calvinism would object to the same teaching.

I do not agree.

I do not agree

This is where we differ

I do not enjoy this. I have done my share of it. I do not like collecting various "views" like I was collecting butterflies or stamps. I think you enjoy this process......I do not. I go about it a different way than you do.

I do not think this is that important. I do not care for an opinion poll here. I care for what is plainly revealed.
    I do not care what they believe except to offer correction.

This is carnal speculation and philosophy, not scripture. I do not entertain it . You do.

You are welcome to it ,once again. God does not think and reveal the hypothetical....but the actual.

Many do and opinions are all over the place.

that is your view....not mine.
    that is your view, you are welcome to it...I do not share it.

That is your view. I believe he did[on thesae things, I had qualified what I said earlier...and yes TC. I am aware of the whole Whitfield /Wesley anecdote, and had a copy of the letter whitfield wrote to him. Spurgeon related similar thoughts.

I
    ok

On these things he was....If true understanding comes from God...he did not get the memo.

That is your view, not mine, you are welcome to it, I am not going there with you.

same as above...

same as above....you will not force me into your thought process which I believe is mistaken.

I do not see that in actuality. I think they do not understand for the most part....I do not go for the politically correct, moral equivalency ideas, and all are equally valid....TC spoke on this earlier...

I do not have a new age kind of outlook. agreement is needful as we see little understanding.

If it is as you state, then you should see by now that I am not"ognorant of what you are expressing, I just flat out do not think it is biblical, I believe it is misguided. I spoke openly to the poster quantumfaith , that his exploring of the outer edges of the faith with science, and some persons he reads was dangerous, but he assured me he had it covered. Thats all I can do is express my thoughts, as he did with me. We did not agree.

I am not unaware of it. I reject most all of it. I read or listen, analyze and move on from error. I believe error is to be rejected, not held onto. It is not a hobby to me...it is life and death.
    I am not like those on mars hill who like to consider all novelties and strange thoughts .
    19 And they took him, and brought him unto Areopagus, saying, May we know what this new doctrine, whereof thou speakest, is?

20 For thou bringest certain strange things to our ears: we would know therefore what these things mean.

21 (For all the Athenians and strangers which were there spent their time in nothing else, but either to tell, or to hear some new thing.)
    No....at this point in my life, I sort them out and help where I can...

I do not agree with you once again...you are welcome to your view and how you go about it...I am not going with you.
    Your view once again, I do not hold it, and believe you do not understand what I am saying as you seem to believe people can halt between two opinions forever. I do not.
    How long halt ye between two opinions jonc?

in my view...dead wrong...I reject it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have attentively watched this discussion and have asked myself is there not an ultimate truth and a true theology of it all?... According to Paul in his letter to the Ephesian brethren there is and when it will come and verse 13 tells us... And it is not in this life... Until then we are tossed to and fro and carried about by every wind of doctrine as this post and those discussing it have proved no matter how good their intentions... Brother Glen

Ephesians 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

4:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

#103 tyndale1946, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has nothing to do with "new age" thinking, brother. I am saying that our theologies are not divine revelation. Our theologies are not objective truth. I am saying that Paul was right in 1 Corinthians 13. I am saying what Spurgeon said in his sermon "God's Will and Man's Will". I am saying what scholars, even Reformed ones, have said for centuries. We have to rely on the Word of God and not our theologies. There is a difference.

What I am saying is that it appears you, and a few more on this forum, do not understand what exactly theology is. It is our study of God's Word.

It would be idiotic to state, for example, that I am pushing an anti-Calvinistic agenda based on my insistence that Calvinism is a systematic theology that carries the potential for human error as Calvinism is a systematic theology and by definition theologies have the potential for human error. That is my point, not that you are wrong on an interpretation but that you need to understand what is interpretation.

It is not that I am "between two opinions". It is that I refuse to even elevate my own opinion to the level of Scripture. It is about God and not man. We argue our positions, defend our understandings, stand firmly on what we believe....but in the end we have to realize the difference between our understanding - our theology - and the Word of God.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet you have once again failed to offer an example. Makes one wonder if you have an anti-Calvinistic agenda of your own....it seems that you advocate accepting a system of theology while strongly opposing actual understanding (indoctrination without understanding).

Such elevation of doctrine to the level of Scripture is a cancer, not only within Reformed faith but in Christianity as a whole. Too many people hold a beliefs that they have been taught but they hold them without understanding. But that appears your agenda, and make no mistake - it is anti-Calvinistic.

What I am arguing against is not Calvinism, but a Gnostic-type of way of holding Calvinistic doctrine. On this thread I have not been saying that you, Icon, or your sidekick are wrong in your doctrine - but I can't help but wonder if you have a cult-like apprehension of that doctrine.

So once again, rather than gossip why don't you provide proof of your accusations? You are aware of the sinfulness of gossip, aren't you? Back up your statements....as the saying goes....."put up or shut up."

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Careful here, brother. That has been my point on several threads. You are risking the accusation of pushing an anti-Calvinistic agenda as what you say smacks of the truth that our theologies are not the infallible Word of God.

(Unless you really mean that God gifted the Church Calvinistic teachers and gave them special revelation by the Holy Spirit in such a way as to make Calvinistic theology objective truth not subject to human error or reasoning. If so, then never mind.).

7. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

You'v e offered no example of Calvinism as being wrong, in error. Nothing.

Interesting is your concern here while you elevate your own doctrine above many others doctrine. You say Calvinism is error. I say your teaching is error. Fair enough? Goose? Gander?

Yes, we know, all Cals got their teachings from some book and some ODT's.

You? Your's came straight from the heavens, a beam of light like a laser. This is why you think your teaching is error free, or at the least not in error as those Calvinists.

Not at all. I will say it is anti attack from those of your ilk who attack in ignorance the truth of the Word, things such as Sovereign Grace teachings.

Cool. Now show me where in the forums with valid proof that any of us have cult-like apprehensions. Thus far you've alluded that we are fools, idiotic, gnostic and cult-like. Anything else?

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know...that's my point. Yet repeatedly I'm accused of holding an "anti-Calvinistic agenda". So yea...it is a stupid accusation. But it keeps coming up from the two of you.
    No, I've been saying that theology itself contains the flaw of human reasoning and is not objective truth. I agree that my own theology falls into this category. That is why it is theology and not Scripture.
    What an asinine retort. My understanding came from prayer and studying Scripture. I have been influenced by the interpretations and explanations of F.F. Bruce, J.I. Packer, Douglas Moo, D.A. Carson, Gordon Fee and John Piper. In terms of influential pastors and sermons, I have been influenced by reading the sermons of Spurgeon, but also of Tim Keller and John MacArthur (and Piper would go here as well). In terms of ODT's, I have been influenced to a great degree by John Owen and Calvin. As you know, I also enjoy Eusebius and older writings. Insofar as poetry...just in case you were wondering...my favorite is T.S. Elliot.
    This post is proof of what I did actually say (if you recall, I never called you or anyone else names...but the post and accusations that you presented was certainly idiotic). You have claimed that I have an anti-Calvinistic agenda because I have insisted that Calvinism is a systematic theology which is by nature not above human error. Yet that belief itself is not contrary to Calvinism (Spurgeon stated the same thing in his sermon "Man's Will and God's Will"). But my statement there has somehow made me "anti-Cal" in your estimation. And that without even discussing one doctrine that I have refuted of that position. Another proof is SovereignGrace's accusation that I have an anti-Calvinistic agenda based, from what I can tell, on my disagreement with his insistence that God separated from Jesus on the Cross (which is not, BTW, a Calvinistic distinctive). One disagreement equates to him as an attack against an entire system of theology. That is, in my view, a cult-like way to hold doctrine - you attack anything that you think may make your position look weak to some people regardless as to the validity of the comment.

If you object to "cult-like" then perhaps "holding truth in ignorance" may be more acceptable. I was not referring to your doctrine (and I apologize if you thought I was) but how it is held.

I was also objecting to the accusation that I held some kind of anti-Calvinistic agenda (by you and both SG) yet no evidence of such a thing. In truth, I believe you both have an agenda to belittle and attack any view that you don't agree with.

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe this section is speaking of here and now, not the perfected state in heaven.
    We are to contend for.....the faith..
    We are to guard......the deposit.
    We are not to be tossed around to and fro.
    We are to get up to speed doctrinally.....then go into all the world and make disciples.
    If we are to wait until glorification when we are completed there would be no need to learn much of anything....we could just hold on and wait till the end.
    We do not take the same attitude when we confront cultists who deny the Trinity do we?.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with what you say Iconoclast but still according to Apostle Paul to the Corinthian brethren we still see only in part and thru a glass darkly... Brother Glen

1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

• Like Like x 2
  11. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was reading a sermon by Spurgeon this morning called "Jesus Only" and felt it applied to this discussion. I have posted an excerpt from that sermon and also a link to the whole sermon if any of your brethren want to read it... Brother Glen

I do desire for my fellow Christians and for myself, that more and more the great object of our thoughts, motives, and acts may be "Jesus only." I believe that whenever our religion is most vital, it is most full of Christ. Moreover, when it is most practical, downright, and common sense, it always gets nearest to Jesus. I can bear witness that whenever I am in deeps of sorrow, nothing will do for me but "Jesus only." I can rest in some degree in the externals of religion, its outward escarpments and bulwarks, when I am in health; but I retreat to the innermost citadel of our holy faith, namely, to the very heart of Christ, when my spirit is assailed by temptation, or besieged with sorrow and anguish. What is more, my witness is that whenever I have high spiritual enjoyments, enjoyments right, rare, celestial, they are always connected with Jesus only. Other religious things may give some kind of joy, and joy that is healthy too, but the sublimest, the most inebriating, the most divine of all joys, must be found in Jesus only. In fine, I find if I want to labor much, I must live on Jesus only; if I desire to suffer patiently, I must feed on Jesus only; if I wish to wrestle with God successfully, I must plead Jesus only; if I aspire to conquer sin, I must use the blood of Jesus only; if I pant to learn the mysteries of heaven, I must seek the teachings of Jesus only. I believe that any thing which we add to Christ lowers our position, and that the more elevated our soul becomes, the more nearly like what it is to be when it shall enter into the religion of the perfect, the more completely every thing else will sink, die out, and Jesus, Jesus, Jesus only, will be first and last, and midst and without end, the Alpha and Omega of every thought of head and pulse of heart. May it be so with every Christian.

http://www.romans45.org/spurgeon/sermons/0924.htm

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe this does apply. Scripture is not written in order that we may understand the "order" that God decided things, or the extent to which (if any) God concerned Himself with those who would not believe on the Cross, or whether one can be assured of salvation based on a previous decision, etc. Scripture was not written so that man may know about the gospel of Christ, it was written so that people may know Christ and through Him reconciliation.

Theology is important, but it is not the objective truth of Scripture. I don't care so much that men are depraved and unable to come to God as I do that Christ died for me while I was lost in sin. I don't care so much that I could never merit salvation as I do that God saved me. I don't care as much about the implications of the Cross for those who won't believe as I do that I have been purchased by Christ's blood. I don't worry that I may have resisted God's grace as much as I rejoice that God prevails. And I don't concern myself about the "salvation" of those who have left the faith as I strive to keep my own eyes on the race, trusting that God can keep in Christ those He has placed there.

Theology can never become the cornerstone and the church remain the Body of Christ. Christ will not be second to our understanding, and the gospel itself will never be dependent upon our interpretations. Theology helps us understand and interpret our faith, but it does not define our faith.

13. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have this scripture reference engraved on my KJV Bible!... It's one of my favorites in reference to Hebrews 11... Brother Glen

Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, let's see.

The Canons of Dordt

FIRST HEAD OF DOCTRINE
    Of Divine Predestination

Article 1. Romans 3:19,"that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God." And verse 23:"for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." And Romans 6:23:"for the wages of sin is death."

Article 2. But in this the love of God was manifested, that he sent his only begotten Son into the world, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have everlasting life. I John 4:9.John 3:16.

Article 3. Romans 10:14, 15:"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach except they be sent?"

Article 4. The wrath of God abideth upon those who believe not this gospel.
    John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Article 5. "By grace ye are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God," Ephesians 2:8."And unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him," etc. Philippians 1:29.

Article 6. "For known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world," Acts 15:18."Who worketh all things after the counsel of his will," Ephesians 1:11.

Well, you get the idea. :)

Now, you may say "that is just how they interpreted the scripture." But if nobody can know for sure what the bible is saying, then we are all in darkness, and the Holy Spirit has failed in His mission of guiding us into Truth. John 16:13.

arguments.jpg

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is also one of my favorites. I was about to quote verse 1 earlier.

When I read your post a song came to mind, and it took quite awhile to recall what it was (it's "He's Father to Me"). Sometimes I believe that people get sidetracked and miss the forest for the trees. We all want to know more about God, which is an admiral pursuit...as long as it does not replace growth in knowing God.
    Here's the song, if you want to check it out:

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having taught at the seminary level, do you think that if we were to examine the Five articles of Remonstrance that they also would be replete with references to Scripture? It isn't the Scripture that makes the difference. Well...you get the idea....:)

Also, Calvinistic theology as expressed in the Canons of Dort are more than a list of passages:

"Moreover, the holy scripture herein chiefly manifests and commends unto us this eternal and free grace of our election, in that it further witnesseth, that not all men are elected, but some not elected, or passed over in God’s eternal election: whom doubtless God in his most free, most just, unreproachable and unchangeable good pleasure hath decreed to leave in the common misery (whereinto by their own fault they precipitated themselves, and not to bestow saving faith and the grace of conversion upon them; but, leaving them in their own ways, and under just judgment, at last to condemn and everlastingly punish them, not only for their unbelief, but also for their other sins, to the manifestation of his justice. And this is the decree of reprobation, which in no wise makes God the author of sin, (a thing blasphemous once to conceive,) but a fearful, unreproveable, and just judge and revenger."

It is interesting that you explained to me "double predestination" is not Calvinism but "hyper-Calvinism". The decree of reprobation, that God has decreed to leave some under judgement and condemnation for everlasting punishment is at least a little bit like double predestination.

And we are "in the dark" about many things our theologies address, simply because Scripture does not seek to answer all of the things that strikes our at our curiosity. But the gospel is plain (and it is plan across Christian theologies....or they wouldn't be "Christian" theologies).

For example and illustration - Wesley and Whitfield taught the same gospel.

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Remonstrance.

Article I — That God, by an eternal, unchangeable purpose in Jesus Christ, his Son, before the foundation of the world, hath determined, out of the fallen, sinful race of men, to save in Christ, for Christ's sake, and through Christ, those who, through the grace of the Holy Ghost, shall believe on this his Son Jesus, and shall persevere in this faith and obedience of faith, through this grace, even to the end; and, on the other hand, to leave the incorrigible and unbelieving in sin and under wrath, and to condemn them as alienate from Christ, according to the word of the Gospel in John iii. 36: "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life; and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him," and according to other passages of Scripture also.

Article II — That, agreeably thereto, Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world, died for all men and for every man, so that he has obtained for them all, by his death on the cross, redemption, and the forgiveness of sins; yet that no one actually enjoys this forgiveness of sins, except the believer, according to the word of the Gospel of John iii. 16: "God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"; and in the First Epistle of John ii. 2: "And he is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world."

Article III — That man has not saving grace of himself, nor of the energy of his free will, inasmuch as he, in the state of apostasy and sin, can of and by himself neither think, will, nor do anything that is truly good (such as having faith eminently is); but that it is needful that he be born again of God in Christ, through his Holy Spirit, and renewed in understanding, inclination, or will, and all his powers, in order that he may rightly understand, think, will, and effect what is truly good, according to the word of Christ, John xv. 5: "Without me ye can do nothing."

Article IV — That this grace of God is the beginning, continuance, and accomplishment of a good, even to this extent, that the regenerate man himself, without that prevenient or assisting, awakening, following, and co-operative grace, can neither think, will, nor do good, nor withstand any temptations to evil; so that all good deeds or movements, that can be conceived, must be ascribed to the grace of God in Christ. But, as respects the mode of the operation of this grace, it is not irresistible, in as much as it is written concerning many that they have resisted the Holy Ghost,—Acts vii, and elsewhere in many places.

Article V — That those who are incorporated into Christ by a true faith, and have thereby become partakers of his life-giving Spirit, have thereby full power to strive against Satan, sin, the world, and their own flesh, and to win the victory, it being well understood that it is ever through the assisting grace of the Holy Ghost; and that Jesus Christ assists them through his Spirit in all temptations, extends to them his hand, and if only they are ready for the conflict, and desire his help, and are not inactive, keeps them from falling, so that they, by no craft or power of Satan, can be misled, nor plucked out of Christ's hands, according to the word of Christ, John x. 28: "Neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." But whether they are capable, through negligence, of forsaking again the first beginnings of their life in Christ, of again returning to this present evil world, of turning away from the holy doctrine which was delivered them, of losing a good conscience, of becoming devoid of grace, that must be more particularly determined out of the Holy Scriptures before they can teach it with the full persuasion of their minds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that both your illustration of Calvinism and Arminianism go far in illustrating the human element of theology. Both accept the same Scripture (and here, agree to a great extent) but at the same time their theologies incorporate human reasoning.

For example, at Dort we are taught double predestination through the decree of reprobation. That God decrees both election and reprobation is a product of human reasoning through Scriptures (theological understanding) and is not infallable by nature. In the Articles it is even easier to view human reasoning in the development of theology as consensus could not be reached regarding eternal security.

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a HUGE difference between double predestination and reprobation.

Double predestination presumes God degreed who, individually, would be reprobate.

All reprobation says is that those without Christ will be reprobate.

If anyone denies reprobation they deny Hell, they deny the Justice of God, and they deny the Holiness of God!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if God in his most free, most just and unchangeable good pleasure has decreed to leave in common misery, and not to bestow saving faith and the grace of conversion upon some people, but leaving them in their own ways and under just judgment at last to condemn and everlastingly punish them not only for their unbelief but also for their own sins, to the manifestation of his justice – and of course that this decree of reprobation does not make God the author of sin but a fearful and just judge and revenger….that would not be “double predestination” because…..you think it corporate instead of individual?

Do you think that the Potter makes one vessel for mercy but somehow mass produces those vessels of wrath without care?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.