1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sovereign Grace as it should be!

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by TCassidy, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, thief!!! Biggrin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't want to speculate, but I reckon we must have done some pretty evil stuff to be doomed to repeat the same arguments over and over. :D

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah....the Church has been talking about the same 66 books for a couple thousand years. :)

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, so are you saying God is unjust to allow unbelievers to go to hell? After all, both Sovereign Grace, and whatever you want to call the others, believe the unsaved will go to hell. Is that God's fault? If God could save them is He obligated to do so, according to your "theology?"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Sound doctrine IS theology and is foundational as the church is centered on truth, and The Truth.

Oh that sounds so spiritual! To the unititiated. It's actually perfunctory and hollow without the truths of His Person:

Which Christ? Describe Him. Describe His attributes. Describe what is His True Person.

Then what is it dependent on if its interpretations aren't important? Care to describe this Gospel? Where did you get your descriptions? More perfunctory thought on your part.

More shallow thought...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I was speaking of the nature of theology in general being inclusive of human reasoning (and that Calvinists at Dort were influenced by Beza's double predestination).

(Again - Scripture is objective truth. The gospel is objective truth. But when we venture out and develop doctrines involving things not directly contained in Scripture - like double predestination - then those doctrines are relying heavily on human reasoning).

I do not believe that God is obligated to save anyone. But I also do not believe that those who perish are merely unintended consequences of divine election (they are not merely "passed over" as if God simply chose out of a sea of people a certain number...they are purposed and predestined as well). I believe in "double predestination" in that I believe God endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction. We are all created for the purpose of magnifying God's own glory. Those who are not saved were still made for a purpose.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said that our theology cannot become the cornerstone and the church remain the Body of Christ. You said:
    No kidding Sherlock. How long did it take you to figure that one out?[​IMG]

But what I said was that our theology is not the cornerstone of the church. Our understanding...sorry...my understanding does not take the place of God in my faith. The cornerstone of the Church is Christ (I know..."how shallow of me"). It is not our theologies, or even our doctrines (which may vary from church to church). That doesn't mean that theology and doctrine are not important (I've already said they were vital).

I said that Christ will not be second to our understanding. You said:
    I don’t mean it to “sound spiritual” but it is a bit odd that you can’t grasp the truth that Christ is not dependent on our understanding of Him. God is God regardless of what you think of Him. Your reasoning and interpretations have absolutely no effect on His being. It sounds as if you are trying to usurp God with you own intellect. E.g. – “God cannot have sent Christ to die in any sense for the lost because I don’t agree with that doctrine.” How foolish a method it would be to suppose that our own theologies determine Truth.

I have already stated that Christian theology (all Christian theology) has at its core the gospel of Jesus Christ. That is not what separates or creates various beliefs.

I said that the gospel is not dependent on our interpretations. You said:
    As I have already stated that the gospel is central to all Christian theology, part of this is already covered. So….what is the gospel dependent on if it is not dependent on our interpretations? It is dependent on God. Our interpretations are important, but the gospel is not dependent on our interpretations.

And finally, I said that theology helps us understand and interpret our faith, but it does not define our faith. You said:
    I understand it is shallow to you, but perhaps that is because your theology (your understanding, reasoning, and interpretation) does define your faith. We, apparently, differ there. The object of my faith is a bit more transcendent and much less subjective than either of our interpretations.

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't all understanding a function of human reasoning? Don't both testaments teach us that human reasoning is required, even commanded, as we study God's Self-revelation?

That is good to know.

So you have decided that God must predestine the lost to hell, even though we are all hell bound before God's intervention on our behalf? And who has ever suggested that anything is an "unintended consequence" beyond the knowledge of God? In what way did God intervene in the lives of the lost that destines them to hell? I thought that was caused by sin. Are you saying that God is the Author of sin and predestines sinful disobedience?

And how does that equate to double predestination? Is there some sort of "anti-grace" that God forces on the non-elect that results in their condemnation? I always thought they were "condemned already." Is that wrong?

Yes, they were, and they do so as examples of the Justice of God. But that does not equate to double predestination, unless you see God as the author of moral evil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. I never said not to interpret and reason. I said that we should not lean on our own understanding but should be aware that human reasoning can be flawed. You disagree?

No need to go further. The answer is "NO" to anything that would follow. Smile

I explained what I mean by "double predestination" in my last post. You can examine the definition there, if you'd like. If we disagree on definitions then you are more than welcome to simply interpret my statement to mean I don't believe in "double predestination" but believe what I said in that post. I don't care what term you use....I typically wouldn't use "double predestination" either.

And, like you pointed out, just believing that God decreed some to condemnation (as explained in the Canons of Dort) is not really "double predestination" anyway because that isn't a Calvinistic belief. Thumbsup

9. Internet Theologian

Exactly. What was it Jesus asked of Nicodemus? Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand these things? John 3:10.

IOW Nicodemus was held both spiritually and intellectually responsible. "Nicodemus, tell me about your theological understanding of salvation, revealed truth and etc".

This all reminds me of a fellow who said he didn't need theology, just Jesus. I asked him to tell me about this Jesus, and he had to use Scripture. Jonc is on the same unsustainable path. Sounds spiritual, but the thing is there can be no sound belief without theology, and all beliefs must come from the Word.

What I am gathering from this thread is this:

Sovereign Grace theology is amiss, in error, and held in contempt. Those who adhere to it are foolish, asinine, gnostic and cult-like. And more. I'm just going by the applied implications given in this thread toward those in this camp.

Jonc's study, and input, and theological understanding is to be taken seriously while he reduces others theological understandings all the while telling of his understandings. Other theological disciplines are to be dismissed. But we're arrogant and cultic. Hmmmmm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who has claimed our theology is the cornerstone of the church?

Yes, we all know that. Is this a smoke screen?

As we all know that, I suspect it is more a divergence than merely a shallow statement. Although my 7 year old grandson, when asked "Can you tell me what the cornerstone of the church is" he immediately quoted Acts 4:11 in his 7 year old manner.

Again, we all know that.

Who has claimed He is?

Why do you say he can't grasp it? Has he ever claimed that Christ is dependent on our understanding of Him?

I think we all know that. Has anyone claimed otherwise?

Again, who has claimed otherwise?

So God could not elect whom He chooses because it disagrees with your doctrine?

Oh, and every one of the Sovereign Grace people in this thread believe Christ died, in some sense, for all, but specifically to atone only for believers. So I just have to ask, Who has claimed otherwise? :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And we all know and agree to that. I am beginning to suspect this is just a straw man erected to avoid the real issue. "Do our disagreements have a basis in truth or only in our own minds?" :)

And if only in our own minds, does that mean salvation by grace through faith is also untenable? In fact doesn't that mean all the Baptist Distinctives are wrong and we are being hateful, unloving, and schismatics by believing them? If all of our beliefs are just figments of our own fevered imaginations shouldn't we either just go back to Rome, or throw the whole thing in the garbage and live for self, and pleasure, and profit?

No, it is not "double predestination" because those in hell were not predestined, individually, to hell, but were already lost in trespass and sin and condemned already. God decreed that those people, collectively, would suffer the consequences of their sin.

And it is not because it isn't Calvinistic belief, Calvinistic belief is what it is because double predestination is not taught anywhere in the scriptures.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry, Jon, but your arguments are starting to appear as mere sophistry. I can't help but think you are fighting a battle with yourself. An internal battle. Your basic honest nature is rebelling against the last vestiges of the Arminianism that still lurks in the old man.

I love you with the love of Christ, and as a brother in the faith, but this is going nowhere. It has degenerated into straw man arguments, sophistry, and even a touch of solipsism.

My MS is in relapse and I really don't have the energy, or the interest, to continue banging my head against the wall.

Please feel free to continue without me.

Good night and God bless. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said that anyone did say “theology is the cornerstone”. I do not have to wait on someone to express a statement before I offer mine (I know…I know….”who ever said you had to wait…”). My point is that when we hold the gospel as dependent on our interpretation that is exactly what we are doing (and IT said that on post #127).
    No smokescreen at all. I said that the gospel itself will never be dependent upon our interpretation. IT wondered what, then, if not our interpretation is the gospel itself dependent upon? Do you have the same objection (do you …. and I’m asking so you don’t need to ask when you said it….or I wouldn’t be asking….do you believe that the gospel itself is dependent on our interpretation?
    You assume too much
    Because I believe that he cannot grasp it.
    I meant the “e.g.” to stand for exempli gratia. My hope was that people would understand that what followed was an example. Had I used i.e. (id est) then I could see your objection. But even if you missed that, I concluded that I was speaking of methods and not specific doctrinal claims….(towards the end of the sentence).

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, and good night. For summary -

My argument here is that our theologies are never completely objective as there is the human element in our understanding.

Christians who disagree with our theology are not necessarily confused or lack understanding. Believers can develop theologies and disagree while fully understanding other their own and other positions.

Christian theology has in common the gospel message. The Word of God is True and is objective truth. Our interpretations of that Truth have a potential of misunderstanding or error.

Scripture does not explain to our satisfaction every theological point that exists in our theologies. We fill in the blanks and need to know what is Scripture and what is interpretation.

My belief that I cannot rely on my own understanding does not represent an "internal struggle" as that realization is not a struggle at all simply because I don't rely on my own understanding but on the gospel of Christ. The gospel is clear. Christ is what I need to know, not whether or not God predestined those who perish to Hell or if the Church will be raptured before the tribulation.

And it is the same gospel....exactly the same gospel....in Spurgeon and Moody...in Whitfield and Wesley. Their theologies taught different things about that gospel, but the gospel itself remained Christ.

It is both disappointing and informative how much a minority position this seems to be on this forum.Frown

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Internet Theologian

jon, you've offered ad hominem to ad nauseum.

We get it, you're brilliant, all others are foolish cultists unless they 'believe' as you do, or admit they are in abject error according to you.

I have to agree with TC on his assessment. There is an internal struggle and your postings and arguments give it away. If any person in this thread is leaning on his own understanding, it is you, as all others are dismissed in their beliefs, even soundly shown beliefs, and ridiculed, held in contempt, unable to grasp what you say (are intellectually inferior to you) with several more ad hominem insinuations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And another is seeing what others have already seen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, brother, you don't seem to "get it" at all. My last post is exactly what I have been saying on this thread. You are free, of course, to disagree and we could discuss those disagreements. But you have chosen not to engage what I've been saying, and instead to invent some "anti-Calvinistic agenda". Other than making a lot of noise and unsubstantiated claims, I cannot see where you've actually addressed my understanding of the role differing systematic theologies play with understanding Scripture.

My conclusion has been that no theology is objective truth. I stand by that claim.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning

Sometime after 1am Pacific this thread will be closed.

19. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before you close this thread Squire let me sum of the whole discussion with scripture... Brother Glen

Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering the closing time is 1am Pacific, you probably have until 9am Pacific/12 noon Eastern. The matter isn't of such gravity as to cause me to stay up 'til the wee hours of the morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.