1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sovereign Grace as it should be!

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by TCassidy, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm afraid it is Jon who is banging his head against the wall. Although I lean toward an Augustinian view of predestination in soteriology, even that great thinker did not attempt to plumb the depths of the mind of God to explain exactly the mechanics of predestination.

To further explicate what Jon argues (this is being presumptuous), I admit that part of the reason that I believe in the Doctrines of Grace is that position seems to me to be more logically coherent than the other approaches. (There's the human factor at work.) At the same time, I can see some validity in the arguments of the Armininians, though as a whole I find it unsatisfying. I often read a sermon by Spurgeon and then a sermon by Wesley; on the whole, I agree with Spurgeon but I do not reject out of hand Wesley's objections.

And, given the balance of the evidence, I have to accept double predestination. To try to draw fine distinctions on this matter seems to me to be sophistry. If God can choose who to save and chooses not to save some, then he has acted — by not acting.

#141 rsr, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, and thank you for the insight (it was not presumptuous at all, but instead exactly what I have been trying to communicate). I also believe in the Doctrines of Grace because it seems to me more coherent than other approaches. I've dismissed other views using the same standard. But I recognize the human factor at work in my understanding. I can not say that someone who disagrees with me lacks understanding.

I used double predestination to illustrate this point (not really to argue the position). I hold my belief in the mechanics of predestination with the expectation that I do not fully understand the mechanics of predestination (with such doctrines it is easy for me to realize the limitations of human understanding).

3. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am surprised JonC has not put a 'dumb' under this wonderful post. [edited]

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think perhaps that is because you can't distinguish between disagreement and attack. RSR has interacted with what I have posted and has done so with integrity. He has not merely insulted me (or, offered kudos), but he engaged what I said and contributed to the post. I am going to revisit my understanding of predestination in general with the Augustinian view as this is something I have not really done in the past (I have not articulated the differences). I hold to a "double predestination", but I have not taken the time to study in depth the topic.

In other words, RSR has addressed both of my points without insulting me even if he sees misunderstanding in my view. That said, what RSR posted about the Doctrines of Grace is exactly my point. And he may very well hold a better understanding of predestination than my view (and I hope he does).

You, on the other hand, have proved unable to deal with one single point I have suggested and have yet to provide one shred of evidence towards your attacks against me. Look through the posts. Your comments have been but gossip. Gossip is a sin, brother SG. And accusation without evidence presented off topic is nothing but gossip. Which makes you....well...a gossip if Ray Comfort is right O O

With the predestination comment, I have made one claim and offered my belief on a doctrine. To refresh your memory:

1. I believe we have to be careful not to lean on our own theological understanding (which I distinguished from the gospel itself and provided examples of these "secondary" issues to orthodox Christianity).

2. I believe double predestination in some form a necessary part of election.

Your response? I have an "anti-Cal agenda". You have time, I think, to honestly address my points here. You may even have time to provide evidence to your claims. But do you have the integrity?

Since I believe you don't and this thread will close without even one evidence to support your accusations, or even one insight to one of my points, I'll quote this as it is a fitting end:

#144 JonC, May 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2016
  5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.