1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sovereignity of God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by convicted1, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Scripture

No matter what God doesn't tempt people with evil or even to do evil. He did what he did on his own, but God used it for His will. His good pleasure to save those who trust in His Son.

The greatest lesson we can learn from this lesson on Judas it is not what some have turned it into.

To me it is no matter what we do, deny Christ as Peter did or be apart of the murder of Christ through believers as Saul before he becomes Paul did or even betray Jesus. We can be forgiven or we to will be sons of perdition.

#21 psalms109:31, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2011
  2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please tell me that everyone here understands "fore-knowledge" has NOTHING TO DO with "fore-seeing". Two entirely different concepts that when misunderstood lead to threads like this.

People do evil things because it is our nature. That God is still in control even in such circumstances to have His will done 100% does not depend on man doing good/evil. It depends on God.

3. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Willis,

First off, thank your kind and fair response. I rather enjoy discussing things which are in the text and I dislike other discussions that degenerate into ad hominem attack posts. Seeing your posts, I think we can engage in the former and not degenerate into the latter.

It seems you are using Strong's Concordance. Strong's can be good, but it leaves out huge gaps that are very important in the quest to determine meaning. Actually, a text-book definition is only one step to determining meaning. The second step (and perhaps most important) is to see how the biblical authors use a particular word, how it is used in a particular passage, etc.

With the word "Destruction" in John 17:12 is, as you rightly stated, apoleia (in Greek ἀπώλεια). This word is the noun form of the verb apollumi (in Greek ἀπώλλυμαι) which you can find in your Strong's, it is word #622.

The noun form is used in the New Testament to refer to a state of exclusion from God's grace. There are many examples in the New Testament of this usage.

What makes John's usage particularly interesting is that John juxtaposes the verbal form and the noun form. "While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost (the verbal form) except the son of destruction (the noun form), that the Scripture might be fulfilled."

So Jesus is saying that none of His disciples have been lost to destruction. Why? He Himself has kept them. Why, then, was Judas seemingly lost? Because he was never one of Jesus' disciples. Though he appeared to be, Judas was always a person outside of God's grace, a "Son of Perdition."

Now, why does the text say that Judas was "foreordained" to be the "son of destruction? Again, the biblical idea of sonship is key here. In john 17:12 there is what is called a hina clause (from the Greek conjunction ἵνα). Now, hina is translated "so that" and it gives the reason for the previous statement. So, when Jesus says "so that the scripture might be fulfilled" what He is saying is that the scripture decreed that not one of His sheep would be lost and it also decreed that one of His own would betray Him. In the disciples--11 true disciples and 1 son of destruction--the scripture is fulfilled perfectly. Again, this shows that Judas was never one of Christ's sheep, no matter how well he played the part from time to time.

The first issue here is that this passage is not intended to shed specific light on 17:12. But, it is part of the context of the Book of John and of the Bible as a whole.

I will agree that one does not become a child of God until we receive Him. It is the receiving that gives one the right to become His child. As an aside...the Bible also talks about God adopting us as His children and, as we know, the adopted does not get to choose the adopter. So, John is only talking about one specific aspect in 1:12 and is not intending to give a complete overview of salvation.

The problem I have with your line of thinking is this: It makes man neutral. You are suggesting that there is a choice between being a child of God and being a son of destruction. There is no such middle ground. Every human who is ever born is born as a son of destruction.

Where do I get this? Look at Genesis 5:3 "When Adam had lived 130 years, he fathered a son in his own likeness, after his image." This is particularly interesting. This means that we as humans are primarily in the image of Adam. But this is the post-fall image. Understanding "image" properly is key to understanding the difference between being "in Adam" and being "in Christ."

Image in the Bible refers primarily to bearing the characteristics of the one being imaged. So when the Bible tells us that Mankind was created in the image and likeness of God it means two things: 1.) We are God's representatives. He is the King, we are the "Govenor." We rule in His stead as under-rulers. 2.) To look at us is to see what God is like. Before the fall, had creation wanted to know what God was like, creation only had to look at Mankind.

Of course, after the fall, Adam and Eve have been radically affected by sin and the "Image" of God has been hopelessly marred. Now, according to Genesis 9, Mankind still bears the image of God in some way. But, it must be noted, that we, mankind today, are not primarily created in God's image. We bear God's image because we are human and God created humans to bear his image. Today, however, we are procreated in Adam's image. After all, Adam's son Seth leads to Noah (through whom the entire world was repopulated), so we all are in Adam's image primarily.

So, when Paul writes "in Adam all die" this is what he means: We bear the image of Adam and because of this we are all, by nature, rebels against God just as he was. The marks of "Adam's helpless race" are death, rebellion, radical depravity, being--by nature--children of wrath, dead in our trespasses and sins, etc.

So, there are, in essence, two strains of Humanity--the line of Adam (which we are all in by default) and the line of Christ. After all, Paul does make quite the effort to show the distinction between being "in Adam" and being "in Christ." The only way, according to Ephesians 1, to be taken out of the line of Adam (who's end is destruction) is to be adopted by God, which takes place before the foundation of the world.

So, it cannot be that Judas became the "son of destruction" after Satan took him over because it was already his natural state to be against God. It isn't like Judas was neutral--being able to choose whether he wanted to be in Adam or Christ. Judas was naturally in Adam and because of that, he was already at enmity with God. What is more, as John 17:12 makes perfectly clear, it was never God's intention to redeem Judas (which is to say, it was never God's intention to adopt Judas out of the line of Adam and into the line of Christ). Why? Because Judas is the son of destruction, not a "son" of God.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

The Archangel

4. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point, which is very much misunderstood. The words translated "foreknowledge" in Romans, for instance, mean "chose."

This is where a little Greek can help quite a bit to guard us from theological error.

Blessings,

The Archangel

5. psalms109:31

1 Peter 1

1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, 2 who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:

Grace and peace be yours in abundance.

Translation from Greek to English has many words that it can be translated into English. I'll trust the way God had the Holy Bible translated for me.

I love to study Greek, but I will not translated according to my understanding and take away from how God attended it to be. Oh yeah God struck down the one carrying the arc wrong dead. I not only have reverence for the Lord, but a reverence fear of the Lord

#25 psalms109:31, Jan 2, 2011
  6. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I hear this often; do you have any Scriptural proof?

How do you know that God didn't choose those who He knew would choose to believe the Gospel message?

#26 Robert Snow, Jan 2, 2011
  7. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the word "Foreknowledge" means more than God just knowing something.

If you look at Romans 8:29-30 and Romans 11:2, you will see Paul's only uses of the word "foreknowledge." In Romans 11:2 he emphatically states God has not rejected His people whom he foreknew. Obviously, foreknew is an antonym to rejected. Foreknew means "chose." Further, whenever Israel is discussed, they are called "the chosen people," not merely the "foreknown people." The Old Testament is replete with references to God choosing Israel (and, by implication, rejecting all the other nations).

So, when we get the the so-called "Golden Chain of Salvation" in Romans 8 and we see Paul use "foreknew" (especially considering it is the same exact word, same form, same everything), it is clear that Paul is saying that God chose certain persons.

The thought of foreknowledge being "a looking through the corridors of time to see who would believe" makes God, in effect, the responder and man the initiator--a position God is never in in the Bible. He is always the initiator and man is always the responder.

The Archangel

8. psalms109:31

I believe foreknowledge means exactly what it means.

The plan of God was set in motion long before. Not only does He foreknew us, but has the end result. I am sorry but I will not go on chosen but by ever word that comes from the mouth of God. He knows us by name.

Just imagine seeing all your chosen at your table right now. That is God.

He has set in motion from the beginning to save believers.

Jesus has not come to save the righteous, but sinners.

It is His word that set in motion that those who believe shall be saved and those who do not will be condemned. So He is the initiator and now we are the responder.

God has chosen Israel to be His, chosen before the foundation of the world. Unfortunately those who have been cut out are those who do not believe not for not being His people, but simply was disowned because they have disowned Him. He included us who was not His when we heard the Gospel of our salvation having believed. Fear not Israel for you are still His beloved, you can be grafted back in if you don't continue in your unbelief.

#28 psalms109:31, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

All you have proven is that if "forknew" means what I believe it means, that God chose based on our choice to accept the Gospel, then it doesn't go along with Calvinistic doctrine. This is clearly proven by your last paragraph:

This is not proof, it is conjecture based on your preconceived desire that Calvinism be correct.

If God chose to give man a choice to accept or reject the Gospel, it in no way challenges His sovereignty. It only challenges the Calvinistic understanding of sovereignty.

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Bro. P4H,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to respond in this thread!! :thumbs:

Now, I do believe my conclusions I have arrived at are logical its just that you don't think they are. Like I have stated a few times in this thread already, God doesn't need us to do anything, but He chooses to. If He wanted to, He could have picked up "Israel"(12 tribes) and placed them in the "promised land" thisquick and been done with it. But He led them through Moses and Aaron, and then Joshua over YEARS to learn obedience. By God allowing this process to take place, "Israel" learned to obey Him. I believe He was sovereign over the plan He had here, but He used these men to do the "work" for Him.

The concern I have with my DoG Brethern is this: if God's "fingerprints" ain't over everything we do, then He ain't God. This is Hyper-Calvinism to the inth degree. Some think that God decrees everything we do, what we wear, what we eat, arranges our taste buds, what car we will buy, and where we drive it too, etc. We are not His own personal puppet on a string. God allows us freedom(free will), and with this freedom, we will have to accept the consequences of our choices we make.

Here are some scriptures to look @:

Matt.10:1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.

2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;

3 Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus;

4 Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him.

5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

9 Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,

10 Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.

11 And into whatsoever city or town ye shall enter, enquire who in it is worthy; and there abide till ye go thence.

12 And when ye come into an house, salute it.

13 And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you.

14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.Notice right here that Jesus didn't tell them, "Now don't go into that cuty, or that house, for they will not hear you." He told them to go, and if they don't hear them, to shake their dust off as a witness against them!!

Now here is the consequence for those who will not hear the Disciples!
    This is also found in Mark 6 and Luke 9.

God is sovereign over His plan, but man does have free will in that plan!!

i am I am's!!

Willis

#30 convicted1, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  11. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Robert,

I truly wonder if it will ever be possible for you to see past a person's Calvinism and to truly evaluate what he or she has to say.

Your response, while cordial, doesn't deal with any of the arguments I have made. Rather, you've basically stated "Not it doesn't" without offering any reasoning why.

The closest (and it's still a far way off) you came to offering anything of an "argument" is in stating that my assertion that God is always the initiator and man is always the responder is "conjecture." You never suggest why it is conjecture.

Therefore, your response offers little to the conversation, which is unfortunate.

It is my hope you can see the arguments we (Calvinists) make and the arguments that others (non-Calvinists) make and judge the validity of the argument based on scripture, not on whether someone is or isn't a Calvinist.

The Archangel

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Archangel,

The reason why I use Strong's is because I can't read Hebrew or Greek. So I have to use what is the best source for me. I understand what you mean by thinking I think that Judas was neutral. He wasn't and neither has anyone been neutral at any point in their life. I do believe there comes a point in time when someone can be "turned over" and in that state of being "turned over", their place in hell is sealed. Here's why:

Rom.1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Evidently these who hearts were darkened, "knew" God is some sort of way. But when they chose not to glorify Him as God and were also unthankful, their "foolish" heart became darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Now, if God "gave them up", He must have "had" them at some point, or better yet, He was "drawing" them , and they refused. This is why I believe we are born "alive", and then fall into sin later in life(but that's another thread altogether...LOL)

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:Again, God "gave them up", so if I give something up, I must have possessed it at some time.

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.We will receive a reward for the work which we will do, whether it be evil or good.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; That which I have underlined, take a closer look at it. It states "they did not like to retain",not "they could not retain God in their knowledge. That's a MAJOR difference right there, if you ask me!!!

29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32 Who knowing the judgment of God,that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.We won't be judged for what we don't know, but rather for what we do know.

God holds us accountable for what we do, and not was foreordained for us to do.

i am I am's!!

Willis

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

As soon as someone can show me, in the bible, that God's foreknowledge could not be based on His knowing what our choices will be, I will remain unconvinced. Until this happens I will refrain from farther comment. I have stated my position, based on my understanding of what God says in His Word. To continue to repeat myself does no on any good. We can only continue to beat a dead horse so long.

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

You are doing just fine Robert. Be strong and courageous in your convictions. Often times, "reformed theology" seems so "tight" simply because it relies heavily on deductive logic. Nothing inherrantly wrong with that, but as is always the case, it is the "premises" where we have "differences", most often in degree, not in kind. Inductive logic requires great a bit more though and analysis as well as a "big picture" perspective. Both "reformed" and "non-reformed" theologies have "issues". No matter what one may claim, or how loudly they claim it.

15. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello Bob,

Etymology speaking, you have a problem. But the problem does not end there. This is something that amuses me when I see free-willers, post that God does not determine, but rather only foreknows. I don't really mean to be hard on you, because this is common among free-willers.

The fact is, if God is creator, one can not divide the two.

Let me ask you this. Why is grass green?

16. quantumfaith

jarthur, you would be so much better recieved (by myself and others I am sure) if you would attempt to respond in way that does not "seem" to be pejorative toward those who hold different psitions from your own.

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Jesus said well before the betrayal by Judas that one would betray Him. He never let on who, when, or that it would be one of the 12.

I think the OP has God's sovereignty nailed down fairly well. As has been said to death here on the board, God is not "deterministic" but His will is done. In fact, Jesus taught us to pray exactly those words, "Thy will be done."

18. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Yes well, the only word that anyone could object to would be amuse.

I do find it funny and to say other wise would be a lie.

Let me ask you. Do you understand why I would say this? I mean this is a MAJOR point with free-willers, so one would think it would matter. Now as said before, the word does not mean what they believe it does, but, lets say it does. If we give them that meaning, it still does not change ANYTHING in the end. does it?

God knows.....
    God makes.....

Its the same as supralapsarianism

19. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Your talk is cheap! Where's the Scripture to back up what you say?

20. quantumfaith

So, in the end, God is not able to create and be Sovereign while still permitting some degree of free agency (meaning more than the typical reformed view allows for) in His creation?

What I mean by the pejorative comment is "free willers" seems to be "spoken" with a bit of disdain, forgive me if I read too much sensitivity into it, spoken by a "free willer".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.