1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sovereignty, Free Will, & Romans 9

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Humblesmith, Jan 6, 2011.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Now that is cold. :laugh:

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No. salvation is not transferable

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

This is spot on. It easily appears they spend far more time reading reformed writers than scripture.

It is not that they deny scripture, I would not accuse them of that. But they are guilty of letting these reformed writers interpret scripture for them. An example of this is when I showed one reformed pastor here Rev 22:17 the other day and said no one would arrive at reformed theology with this verse. He freely admitted I was correct but then attempted to present a common reformed argument to explain it away.

And this is what they do. They see the words "all" and "whosoever" just like we do. They see the contradiction to their doctrine. So they open their books and read how a reformed writer explained these words away. They feel safe and secure again.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Baseless....

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Really?

How many hours did I spend this week reading the Bible?

How many hours did Luke spend this week reading the Bible?

How many hours did Rippon spend this week reading the Bible?

You mean you dont know? Then how in the world can you make such a statement??

6. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Actions speak Louder than Words--Thanks for the Respect Rippon!

Even though the topic of respect hasn't come up before now my good friend is exhibiting a great deal of respect for the arguments at hand. Indeed, Rippon's actions roar with respect even though he may not have intended it that way.

He has never made a counter argument yet to anything I've said just claimed its untrue based on the facts. Conveniently his facts no doubt. Calvinists usually carry their own set of facts with them--Calvinism only works that way.

His MO is just to tear down the individual since he can't handle the arguments and in doing so his actions begrudgingly pay a great deal of respect to the arguments.

"Trash-talking, saying stupid things, lie in blatant manner, you say such junk" Rippon

I'm feeling the love Rippon (or in this case the respect my friend--thanks again)!

7. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Hoisted on his own Petard

Hoisted on his own petard

I see jarthur didn't try to deny the previous example is a fair representation of how Calvinist logic works since he the logic turned on him. If he said no to it then he was denying his own previous position and if he said yes to it he would be cashing in his Calvinist chips.

Painted into the proverbial corner he just falls back on the same old empty cries of you have nothing. Looks like the hollow under belly of Calvinism has been exposed as the empty shell it is. That was easy.

And, I bid thee a fond adieu jarthur

"Trash-talking, saying stupid things, lie in blatant manner, you say such junk" Rippon

Why you sweet talking, silver tongued thing, you. You make me just blush you do.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This is the reason I started the thread on this very subject in the general baptist segment.

Baseless accusations.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Right, you guys never quote commentary from reformed writers like Jonathan Edwards.

You've never done that have you?

I'm not saying this is not acceptable once in awhile, it is.

But I'll challange you this, go back through posts and count how many times you Cals have quoted reformed authors, and also count how many times us non-Cals have quoted non reformed authors. I am willing to bet your group has quoted reformed authors ten times more often (it's actually much higher than that).

You are always up for a challange, so here is one. I will even trust you to give honest results without verification.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

We quote Scripture all the time. The difference is we use it in context. You do not. Half or better of my posts have Scripture in them.

You cannot prove that Calvinists do not appeal to the Scriptures on here.

If I provide 25 Calvinist posts with Scripture in them will you start a thread called "Apology" and say on that thread, "I was wrong to say that Calvinists do not use Scripture and that they appeal only to men. I am terribly sorry and will try to be more thoughtful in the future to avoid ignorantly posting baseless accusations."

Will you do that?

11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Bro. James, I did address the "dilemma", but not they way you wanted me to. I showed you with a ton of scriptures what I believe God's will, purpose, and sovereignity is. Again, just not in the manner you wanted me to.

These are all "empty" questions, meaning, there is no way to give an answer. Here's why. The earth is an inanimate object and can't respond to God, however we can. Mind you, there are scriptures that speak of "trees clapping their hands", and "stones would cry out", but they are an allegory, and not a reality. Sure, if God wanted to, they(trees and stones could do it), but where would be His glory by making something/anything, give Him praise? Here are the scriptures about trees and stones:

Isaiah 55:12 For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

Luke 19:40 And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.

I know that there are the four beasts in heaven that are continually praising Him, so I guess He has made some to just do one thing, and that is praise Him....or it looks that way to me.

Rev. 4:6 And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind.

7 And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle.

8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, LORD God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

I have showed you God's will; that is to send His Son to die, so that through His blood, He could save sinners: CHECK

I have showed you God's purpose: To save sinners from their sins, and glorify Him for doing so: CHECK

I have showed you God's sovereignity: He has two places to hold the whole "Adam generation", heaven and the lake of fire. He is sovereign over those two destinations, but allows us the choice-better yet, responsibilty-to choose our destination.

i am I am's!!

Willis

#111 convicted1, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011
  12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

further... further explanation- not farther.

13. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Perhaps he did mean "farther" :)

arther [ˈfɑːðə]
    adv
    1. to or at a greater distance in space or time
    2. in addition
    adj
    1. more distant or remote in space or time
    2. additional
    [see far, further]
    Usage: Farther, farthest, further, and furthest can all be used to refer to literal distance, but further and furthest are regarded as more correct for figurative senses denoting greater or additional amount, time, etc.: further to my letter. Further and furthest are also preferred for figurative distance

14. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I think its funny you of all people make such a charge. You attack God's will and raise the will of man to its highest and give no support for such shame.

The verses you do try and post, are aways proven in error.

15. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Its like talking to a wall. What is the point?

If you call this a victory, your don't understand mercy. Let me help you. This is it.

16. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You prove the saying that if you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one who is hit will howl the loudest.

I don't have to substantiate my opinion. I agree with my opinions whether or not you do.

Let me repeat:

Just so you don't misunderstand, I base this mostly on your postings. You seem obsessed with reformed theology to the point of being absurd. Most all, if not all of your postings have something to do with Calvin and Edwards. And, when someone says they don't particularly like or agree with their viewpoints, you become agitated. This seems to indicate that you are obsessed with them and their writings.

17. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

LOL, Different Day Same Jarthur

I knew when jarthur bid me good bye he wouldn't be able to stay away and within a day he is back spinning on his own merry go round in his own reality, putting his words and meanings in my mouth and to my posts.

He can't stay away and can't help himself, and seems attracted to me like a moth to the fire. I'm flattered in an odd sort of way. Maybe he could start a Logos1 fan club. I bet Rippon would be the first to join up.

If my good West Virginia friend is the best the Calvinist have to put up I have to debate myself first--should I debate him or just pray for him.

Maybe I should send him a bible so he can compare scripture to his beliefs about what is in the bible and debate himself. Now that would be interesting.

"Trash-talking, saying stupid things, lie in blatant manner, you say such junk"... Rippon

That Rippon just makes my day when he sweet talks me like that

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's what I thought. You can't substantiate it. You just dishonorably hurl baseless and false accusations. That is your MO.