1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spanish-language VBS

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by LarryN, Aug 1, 2005.

1. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Has anyone had any experience in conducting a Spanish-language VBS (either as a stand-alone VBS or in conjuction with an English-language VBS)?

If you've done it, please share your experiences & ideas, and also any resources you may be aware of.

Thanks!

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

[​IMG]
    Especialmente diseñado para los niños de habla hispana que hayan completado los grados 1ro. – 6to. Cada juego de seis tarjetas postales, dobladas en acordeón, contiene:

Cinco divertidas lecciones llenas de actividades para comenzar y terminar los estudios bíblicos;
    versículos bíblicos,
    sellos pre-engomados que están relacionados con la historia bíblica de cada día.
    Especially designed for Spanish speaking children who have completed 1st6th grades. Each set of six perforated, accordion-fold postcards features:

Five fun lessons filled with activities for opening and closing Bible studies
    Scripture verses
    Self-adhesive stickers that relate to each day’s Bible story

http://www.lifeway.com/lwc/shopping_product_page/0,1711,I%253D0633197793%2526M%253D50005,00.html

3. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Thanks Diane!

4. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Does anyone else have any ideas or comments?

Let me give a little background on our situation: About a year-and-a-half ago we planted a Spanish-language church in Dakota County (in the Twin Cities south metro). It's small (under 100 people)- but it has a solid core group of members, and it's growing. By many estimates, there are at least 10,000 people in the Twin Cities south metro area who speak Spanish as either their primary or only language, so the opportunity is great.

Anyway, I'd like to partner with this church starting next year to provide a Spanish VBS, in conjunction with our English VBS. We had our VBS last week, and on our peak evening we had 1,952 in attendance, along with the approximately 450 volunteer workers from our church needed to operate it.

Our VBS is broken down roughly this way in regards to time: 30 minutes in the Worship Center (singing, skits, etc.); 30 minutes of outdoor carnival time (9 hole mini-golf, food tent, games, inflatable giant slide & jumpers, etc.); and 60 minutes in the classrooms (Bible lessons, verse memorization, etc.). The different age groups of the children rotate times for these various segments, so that (for example) the 1st-3rd graders might be in the Worship Center while the 4th-6th graders are out at the carnival.

I'm thinking that starting next year we could provide the basic infrastructure for a Spanish VBS, while our Spanish church plant could obviously provide the needed leaders & teachers to work with however many Spanish-speaking children might be attracted to attend. Of course, it could also introduce entire families to our Spanish church- which might lead to the Gospel being shared not only with the children, but also with some of their moms & dads too!

5. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like you have your hands full!

Is it that you are looking for the whole package - an entire curriculum in Spanish? Or just supplementary student materials? Have you contacted the major publishers to see what might be available? I'm sure Lifeway will publish a Spanish companion to their VBS next year as well.

What specific origin are your Spanish-speaking folks? I ask this because next year, Group Publishing is doing a Mexican Fiesta theme for their VBS materials. I'm pondering whether to use it in our 1/2 Puerto Rican community. I don't know whether their materials are available in Spanish or not.

Other publishers include Gospel Light, CPH (Concordia), Standard, DCCook.

6. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Debby writes:
    They are mostly Mexican, so I think a fiesta theme is a great idea! Thanks Debby!

7. JohnB

JohnB New Member

Hi Larry,

I don't really have anything to add to the info noted above. But I do want to encourage you and thank you for reaching out to the Mexicans/Mexican-Americans in your community.

My family and I live right here on the border. And we get to participate in VBS annually. But you would be surprised at how little cross-cultural outreach is done here by local churches.
    I think your desire to minister is fantastic!

8. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Thanks John. I appreciate your kind words.