1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spanking

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Brother Adam, Nov 29, 2001.

1. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

All I can say is "oh, puleeze!" [​IMG]

If you're Bible is dated, you better get a new one. And would you mind telling us which parts are dated so that we won't be a'wastin' our time living by God's word when it isn't relevant today?

2. Kathy

Kathy New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KeeperOfMyHome:

If you're Bible is dated, you better get a new one. And would you mind telling us which parts are dated so that we won't be a'wastin' our time living by God's word when it isn't relevant today?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And may I add, why would I listen to man when I have God's Word for instruction? Man is inherently wicked and sinful...GOD IS GOOD!

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

3. Houstonian

Houstonian New Member

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All I can say is "oh puleeze!"

Do you think we should stone children?

4. KeeperOfMyHome

Stoning was given as part of the law.

Applying the rod was not a part of the law.

There is a difference. They are two totally separate things in God's word.

5. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter

The other day, my wife was about to feed our 1 ½ year old.

She said, “ Bow your head..Father thank you” etc. my little girl said “da da thank you…”

That drove home a point I already knew. At this point in her life, I am like God to her. Someday she will have to try to understand that there is God the Father, he loves her BUT at the same time he must punish sin.

She would be at a huge disadvantage if her earthly father was inconsistent and punished her when she didn’t need it or didn’t punish her when she did need it. God don’t abuse his children, he disciplines them. He wouldn’t punish you for spilling a glass of milk, he dose punish disobedience, so that’s the way I discipline her. That being said, I’m not smarter than God so I will discipline her with corporal punishment, just the way God said.

As for the “do you think we should stone children” that is capital punishment.

God indorses capital & corporal punishment and restitution all within pre described boundaries. If I’m not mistaken the criteria for stoning a child is spelled out and was to be carried out by the elders at the gate (I’ll have to look it up to be sure). I’m sure that way back when, no doubt, some uncontrollable delinquents were put to death. The possibility of capital punishment would be a major deterrent. In this day and age it would be impossible to meat all the requirements God gave before stoning a child so it’s not an option. It dose sort of give us an idea of the priority God places upon children being obedient and parents raising their children to be well behaved.

Why did God give us the ability to marry and have babies?
    Malachi 2:15 … And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

6. Houstonian

Houstonian New Member

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So we have to obey things that weren't in the law, but we don't have to obey things that were?
    :rolleyes:

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, If Houstonian is getting technical about the whole thing "stoning" probably should be used for our method of death penalty. The death penalty of Lethal Injection is NOTHING. The idea behind the whole thing is to make people not want to do the crime and the thought of being hit by rocks until you die makes you think twice--a lot more than well, I can probably get out on parole or it will be twenty years before they put me to "sleep".

Another subject.....

Anyway, I agree with you 100%. I raised three daughters that we experimented a little with. (I don't mean abuse type, I mean spanking vs. grounding or time-out, etc.) The first thing you realize is that it differs from child to child. But, in most cases we found that a child being spanked seems to behave MUCH better than one that is not and when they are older, the one that was spanked the most, rebels the least. I was paddled about four times in school and although I remember every single time and the embarassement and the pain there is only one that I now think was probably abusive which was a very young teacher at the time who hit me below on the legs so many times and so hard, and in front of all the other kids laughing that I don't really think she did it right and it still makes me feel bad thinking about it. BUT, the ones I deserved and were handled by taking me to the office in private and explaining "why -- exactly" I was being spanked. I never repeated the rule breaking. By the way, I think I turned out to be a pretty decent, Christian person (some may argue LOL) but, I am not scarred for life by the spankings at school nor my mom's tree switch, nor my dad's belt. I love them both today more than I ever did and a lot of it has to do with the way the raised me to do and think about what is right and wrong. Spanking is necessary and if you don't believe me, go down to your local high-school and watch the kids in the halls for about ten minutes--that is all it will take for you to realize these kids THINK they know EVERYTHING and there are VERY few that act appropriately any more. Much of this is a result of the Department of Human Services (our state) -- their crackdown on spanking--although it is legal, the method and way it must be carried out is so much like walking on a fence, people have given up on it and they now just ground their kids----and folks--THAT AIN'T WORKIN'. :(

8. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Who else has had the same experience as Philip?

UNP, Adam

9. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

I completely agree with spanking I completely disagree with anyone else aside from the parents of the child spanking the child,,God did not give the spanking command to the teachers of schools or leadership in churches or even grandparents or any other family memeber...strictly to parents and those are the only people who should be applying the loving rod of correction. Keep in mind the whole reason for spanking is out of pure love for the child and not out of frusteration or "giving the kid what he deserves" and no one else fits that type of love description as well as a mother or father does. I believe the only reason any kid feels anger or hatred towards a parent during or after a spanking is because the spirit in which it was administered was improper or the child is resisting the correction in which case the correction should continue on till a tender heart is shown. I ususally sit my son down and I pray outloud that God would give me grace as a mommy to correct my child and that he would recieve it well..I explain why he's getting spanked and that I cannot accept bad behaviour from him and then I spank him. If he resists I spank him again, if he hits back I spank him again till he comes to me with a true broken heart and tells me he's sorry for what he did and hugs me...I will then wrap my arms around my little boy and tell him how much I adore him and how much Jesus adores him. I'm not saying that spanking is the only correction a parent should administer, but I stand behind it fully as the scriptural way of correction and keep in mind if discipline didn't hurt then the child would learn nothing.

karen

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are there parts of the Bible we as believers today DO follow and parts of the Bible that we DO NOT follow?

Of course. Discerning and dividing the Word so that we know what to follow is a great ministry of the family and the church.

There was ceremonial Law to Israel that I do not follow.

There was civil Law for a Jewish nation that I do not follow.

Every thing in the Bible is NOT for me today. Every promise in the Book ISN'T mine.

But good sound teaching from Proverbs on disciplining children? From the Epistles on raising kids? On MORAL Law that transcends all time?

Why would that NOT apply to me?

11. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grace:
    I was spanked, and didn't particularly care for it. Never did fully understand why they always said "this hurts me more than it hurts you" I wanted to say, Well, I'm the one that needs punishing, let me swat you for a while. :D
    Even though I found spanking an unpleasant experience, I will probably spank my children (if I ever have any) if the need arises.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I, too, recall being frustrated at hearing my parents say that. And until I became a father, I never understood it.

I understand it too well now.
    [​IMG]

12. KeeperOfMyHome

Amen Jonathan! I was thinking the same thing!

13. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Hey you guys! Cut that out, your starting to change my heart on the whole spanking issue. ;) :eek:

I'm not sure I agree with spanking all the time like someone said, but I can see instances in which it would be beneficial.

UNP, Adam

14. Brian Collins

Brian Collins New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Houstonian:
    There is considerable evidence that a good bit of "misbehavior" is the result of children moving through natural (and positive) developmental stages (for example, the one-year-old playing with and throwing food is simply experimenting with new textures).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Prov 22:15, Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

--B C

15. Brian Collins

Brian Collins New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyfree432:
    Who else has had the same experience as Philip?

UNP, Adam
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have. My folks whipped me more when I was younger, but backed off as I got older. So I didn't mind rebelling as much. With my younger sister, they just basically let go, and they have told me over and over that they regret it. She's coming around now, but it's taken some time.

I have also seen children who are spanked early and often, but the reproof either was non-present or was done out of anger and bitterness, so that the child perceived that the punishment was only a stress-reliever. Those types of children generally rebel in subtle ways; they obey in the presence of their parents, but when they get away for a bit, they go wild. Yes, I realize many properly-disciplined children do the same, but to a lesser degree.

--B C

16. KeeperOfMyHome

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Collins:

I have. My folks whipped me more when I was younger, but backed off as I got older. So I didn't mind rebelling as much. With my younger sister, they just basically let go,
    --B C
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and I was his perfect big sister who required little in the department of spakings. :D :D :D

(hahahahaha - - - now that was funny!)

17. Kenneth77

Kenneth77 New Member

Maybe it was because of you that he got whipped as much as he did. Your parents found out something you did, but you weren't home so they get him instead.

Oh, that was me and my big brother. Good thing I have a little sister that I could do that to.

My mom spanked us. That was descipline. Now the flip side of that was everytime mom spanked, when dad got home....dad beat. That was descipline at a whole higher level. I thank God for parents who loved me enough to spank me. "Spare the rod, hate the child". I also thank God that He loved me enough to show me my sin and descipline me Himself. It is Great to know you are loved.

18. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

As a young adult, I have seen many different children who have had many different ways of being punished. My sister's two children have never been spanked and are very spoiled and act like it. I recieve little respect from them and they do not even call me "Aunt Teresa". They both call me Teresa and that is very disrespectful. Because of the parents, the two have learned that they really are in control and that the parents will cater to their every beckon call.
    My brother's son, however, has been spanked, but not that much. I am thankful that the Lord has worked within my nephew's life and I have seen a great change in him. He is very respectful. He calls me "Aunt Teresa" and he listens to his authoritive relatives. I have had the privelege to see him grow and instead of asking for something worldly for Christmas he replied to my question with a simple, "I would like to have a new Bible." This brings tears to my eyes because he was one of the children who statistics see as never being able to become something suitable in life.
    I, for one, agree whole-heartedly with spanking, but only in certain situations. I also agree with grounding a child. Putting a child to work by doing housework, to me, sends a message to them that says that housework is a punishment, not something that is imperative to having a house.
    I think that cleaning house should be left as chores, and should never be used as punishment.
    My mother, being a single parent, used several punishments on myself. One was spanking, another was going to a corner in the house and putting my nose in it for some minutes, one was grounding, one was cleaning house, and one was putting dishsoap on my tongue when she heard me say a foul word. The dishsoap worked, but none except the spanking worked for me. I learned that my mother did not enjoy spanking me, but that it was something that needed to be done. My mother never spanked out of anger and always sent me to my room to "think about" what I had done.
    By doing this, I realized that what I had done was wrong, it gave her the opportuninty to calm down, and gave me time to prepare for what I had to deal with because my behavior had caused the punishment.
    When, and if, the Lord blesses me and my future husband, whoever it is, with children, one major means of punishment will be spanking. It's in the Bible, and, if done correctly, will produce respectful children with a love for thier parents and a love for God.

In Christ's gracious love,
    Teresa

19. KeeperOfMyHome

Maybe it was because of you that he got whipped as much as he did. Your parents found out something you did, but you weren't home so they get him instead.

hehehehe . . . that's what he'll tell you happened . . . I just claim I don't remember, it's been so long ago. ;) [​IMG]

20. Kathy

Kathy New Member

BEAT THE FIRE OUT OF 'EM! LoL If you have more than one, beat them all to make sure you got the right one! *hehe* I'm JOKING! (well, maybe) *hehe*

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;