1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spanking

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Brother Adam, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I have a 37 year old and with her spankings is the only thing that worked. I also have a 32 year old and with him if he diappointed you it hurt him, so with him I don't think I had to spank him over one or two times and never after he was around 3 years old. Now have a 6 year old and she is some where inbetween, I do spank her from time to time but it hasn't been often, lets say a dozen or so times up to this point. Find out what works, each child is different. I'm so happy none of my 3 have been as hard headed as I was.

2. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

"I recieve little respect from them and they do not even call me "Aunt Teresa". They both call me Teresa and that is very disrespectful."

Think about the age difference here. I have Aunts/Unlce's and "newphews/nieces" that are not far apart in age at all. The "Aunt/Uncle's" prefer them to call them by there name as they have found it easier to grow closer to them and have a good time with them than being the "big adult". [​IMG]

"Because of the parents, the two have learned that they really are in control and that the parents will cater to their every beckon call."

This is purely bad parenting and has little to do with the fact that they were not spanked. I do happen to know families who never spanked and their children grew up fine [​IMG]

"My brother's son, however, has been spanked, but not that much. I am thankful that the Lord has worked within my nephew's life and I have seen a great change in him. He is very respectful. He calls me "Aunt Teresa" and he listens to his authoritive relatives. I have had the privelege to see him grow and instead of asking for something worldly for Christmas he replied to my question with a simple, "I would like to have a new Bible." This brings tears to my eyes because he was one of the children who statistics see as never being able to become something suitable in life."

Once again I very seriously doubt this is due to spanking. Being a parent has far, far more to do than spanking a child. I think you are taking this to an extreme [​IMG]

"I, for one, agree whole-heartedly with spanking, but only in certain situations. I also agree with grounding a child."

I agree [​IMG]

"Putting a child to work by doing housework, to me, sends a message to them that says that housework is a punishment, not something that is imperative to having a house."

Actually, no. I think most children being brought up in good households are smart enough to realize that their chores are chores and their punishment is punishment. Yes, housework can be used as a punishment, and washing walls is often used as a punishment at our house. My brothers understand that they have chores and understand that this work is part of being in a family.

"I think that cleaning house should be left as chores, and should never be used as punishment."

Again, I think you are taking this to an extreme [​IMG]

"My mother, being a single parent, used several punishments on myself. One was spanking, another was going to a corner in the house and putting my nose in it for some minutes, one was grounding, one was cleaning house, and one was putting dishsoap on my tongue when she heard me say a foul word. The dishsoap worked, but none except the spanking worked for me. I learned that my mother did not enjoy spanking me, but that it was something that needed to be done. My mother never spanked out of anger and always sent me to my room to "think about" what I had done."

I am glad that this type of discipline worked for you. You have turned into a godly young lady, and I can only say I am blessed to be with you in a courtship [​IMG]

"By doing this, I realized that what I had done was wrong, it gave her the opportuninty to calm down, and gave me time to prepare for what I had to deal with because my behavior had caused the punishment.
    When, and if, the Lord blesses me and my future husband, whoever it is, with children, one major means of punishment will be spanking. It's in the Bible, and, if done correctly, will produce respectful children with a love for thier parents and a love for God."

Ouch. Teresa there is so much more that goes into parenting than spanking your child. And just because a child is spanked properly does not in any way mean they will grow up with a love for their parents and for the Lord. That is something we leave up to God. Only He can instill faith and love into us [​IMG]

UNP, Adam

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: flyfree432 ]

3. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

The age difference should not be a factor.
    If someone is an aunt, then you call them an aunt.

I am an adult, who has taken care of her many times. I show her respect and I deserver the respect back. I have some "young" aunts and uncles. For example, my Uncle married a woman a little over ten years older than myself. Did I just call her Jill? No, I called fer Aunt Jill. If you have a teacher who is a little older than yourself, do you call them by their first name? No, you wait until you have permission to call them by the first name; the same should apply in an aunt/uncle and neice/nephew situation.

In Christ's gracious love,
    Teresa

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I know some children that seriously need to be stoned... (shaking head).

Children need discipline until they can learn self discipline. .. Self-Discipline is taught.

I am for spanking at a young age, when that is what they understand.

As a child gets older, there are other ways, but sometimes, spanking is what is needed to get attention.

5. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by baptistforever:
    The age difference should not be a factor.
    If someone is an aunt, then you call them an aunt.

I am an adult, who has taken care of her many times. I show her respect and I deserver the respect back. I have some "young" aunts and uncles. For example, my Uncle married a woman a little over ten years older than myself. Did I just call her Jill? No, I called fer Aunt Jill. If you have a teacher who is a little older than yourself, do you call them by their first name? No, you wait until you have permission to call them by the first name; the same should apply in an aunt/uncle and neice/nephew situation.

In Christ's gracious love,
    Teresa
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

;)