1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Speaking English God's Way!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Paul33, Mar 31, 2005.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This thread sure gives ammunition to the KJVo folks who say that some here are not only anti-KJVo but also seem to take every opportunity to be critical of the very version itself.

I love my King James Version. I know that it is only a translation, I know that some of the words are considered outdated, I am not going to try to tell you "which KJV" I prefer because they are all so close that is doesn't matter, I know that there are printing, editing, and translational errors in it, but talk about its translation of human bodily functions is not going to change my view.

Please folks, there are some here who truly love that translation, must we be so critical of it?

2. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:rolleyes: :D

Quote from Roger:
    "This thread sure gives ammunition to the KJVo folks who say that some here are not only anti-KJVo but also seem to take every opportunity to be critical of the very version itself.

I love my King James Version. I know that it is only a translation, I know that some of the words are considered outdated, I am not going to try to tell you "which KJV" I prefer because they are all so close that is doesn't matter, I know that there are printing, editing, and translational errors in it, but talk about its translation of human bodily functions is not going to change my view.

Please folks, there are some here who truly love that translation, must we be so critical of it?"

Roger...I'm afraid you'll just have to keep on fellowshipping with us KJV guys if you wanna get any respect in this forum.Don't worry though ;) we don't mean no harm...we just believe the old Book IS the Word of God!!....and revere it AS SUCH! Love ya brother!

Greg Sr. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Philip--
    Can't wait to see what the ESVo <snipped> crowd comes up with to defend their position that the ESV somehow corrects the original King [and we be not talkin' 'bout no Martin Luther King here, Bro....] James [Not no James Brown either, Bro...] Version.

<banned term relating to King James deleted>

But dat ain't what's a comin' down in dis here 21st century, ifs yah axe me, Bro.! Can I get me a witness on dat?

[ April 03, 2005, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: C4K ]

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, the KJV is a translation indeed of the Word of God and we all love it.

But we are prejudiced being English speakers (well most of us) and so we believe 17th Century English to be "beautiful" (as I do).

But history repeats itself and Rome has one-upped us.

Long after Latin had turned into Italian, the Church of Rome claimed that the language of the Latin Vulgate, (the "ONLY" Bible) was far more than merely beautiful, it was "the language of heaven",

HankD

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Every time the pastor said "dung", the interpreter, instead of signing bowel movement or manure, signed the "S" word, and each time.

And he was probably closer to the author's original intent than anyone who would read it out loud!

The Bible isn't a pretty book, and softening the blows with effete euphemisms often misses the point.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The title of the topic is "speaking English God's way". Seeing as how God is in charge, & that HE created English, I believe that's what we're all doing, regardless of style.

7. Brett

Brett New Member

I find it hard to believe that such abominations as ebonics could qualify as speaking English God's way.

8. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

There's nothing inherently immoral about ebonics. It's a dialect of English with somewhat different rules than the dialect spoken by TV news anchormen, that's all.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yo buss dis. De Authorized Version uh de Bible be de fines fa instance uh English in de pas 400 years. It will stan' alone above all othuh re-wordins forever.

10. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Ebonics was and is a joke. In New Orleans some locals tried to push for that and said that English itself was not the right language to teach the inner-city kids with for math, and other subjects. The educators said OK.. so.. produce a booklet of some type that shows the grammatical workings and the words used in Ebonics.
    They backed down... Ebonics is like "Y'at", the official language of New Orleans. I speak Y'at myself and its my native language but its not that far from English that an entire Bible or educational program is in need.

11. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

12. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Us'n ole country boys speak HILLBONIX...

13. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Ya'll wunt ta mosey on down to th' crick an see if we uns kin git sum crawdads fer supper?

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Ya hey dere. If you come up Nort, you can shoot the tree dear I seen in my backyard, eh?

15. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I can see it now...

Instead of Alexander Scourby we'll have Jeff Foxworthy narrating the RSV (Redneck Standard Version) on CDs!!

Maybe even a dramatized version on DVDs with hog calls in the background as they were stampeding over that cliff near the western shore of the Sea of Galilee!!

Moses gettin' bush-whacked!!

Elijah using that prototype of the bug zapper on Mt. Carmel!

And, to top it off, we'll even put old Jerry Reed in the boat with the other 11 as the play-by-play narrator as Peter does his extreme surfing on the Sea of Galilee!

Can you imagine the loot those money changers would rake in at the Temple when those DVD's come out??? (Of course, it'd all be in Confederate Dollars, though!!!)

What a marketing concept that'd be!!

Step over, Benny Hinn....none of this "Slain in the Spirit" stuff anymore!!

We's fixin' ta have usins a "Shotgun by the Still" experience that's G-A-R-R-U-N-T-E-E-D ta fix whatever's ailing yah!!!

Think it'll work?

16. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Why sho 'nuff! I reckon its 'bout time we uns larnt them yankees ta talk gud....

17. Paul33

Paul33 New Member