1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Speaking in Tongues ... Does YOUR Church Allow it?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Feb 16, 2014.

?
  1. We have members who speak in tongues ...

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. We do not allow tongues, period ....

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. While we recognize this as a viable gift, we do not teach that it is mandatory ...

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. We do not teach that tongues is for this day and age ...

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  5. I know of Baptist church(es) that have tongue talkers ...

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I know some believers who talk in tongues and attend a Baptist church ...

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  7. I know some pastors that do not oppose the gift of tongues ....

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  8. Our pastor does not oppose the gift of tongues ...

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  9. This is preposterous, and nothing more than Scriptural heresy ...

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  10. I speak in tongues, and have no problem with it ...

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Its not remotely demeaning to anyone with a modicum of humility. The church in America is jam packed with people who their whole reason for being in church is because it is the one place where they can be genuinely ignorant and not have to answer for it.

In the medical profession, if a guy is slicing open somebody with a scalpel, and a real doctor finds out that he has no training and he cries- YOU PRESUMPTUOUS BA@#%!&!!!!! Put down that scalple. You are dangerous!- Nobody says of the real doctor, "Well, isnt he arrogant and demeaning!!!"

No- only in the American church can you find that kind of weird twilight zone.

But a minister handles something far sharper than a scalpel. He handles the word of God! And he cuts on something far more precious than human flesh- he works on human souls!

It is not arrogant to taut the benefits of being trained to handle it. It is not demeaning to excoriate the presumptuousness of people who think they need no teachers before they can handle it.

Now, I have said DOZENS of times that you don't necessarily have to go to seminary to learn to properly wield the Word of God. But you DO need tremendous help from the larger Body of Christ.

And if one thinks he doesn't, then his arrogance knows no bounds. Hitlers arrogance PALES in comparison to such a man.

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Feel better?

Okay Luke....let's leave it there. I certainly don't want to jab you with an unlearned scalpal of spiritual leanings. I got the point, and you got my point. Let's leave it there and stop egging each others spiritual house. Justin Beiber is paying the legal price for over egging his neighbors home. I don't want to be arrested for going too far with you!

Peace! :thumbs:

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or "egg your house." I care about the truth and the Kingdom. And I honestly think this charismatic stuff is TOTALLY unbiblical and damaging to the Kingdom of God in this world.

I also think the arrogance of preachers who think they do not need training, do not need to be connected to the larger body of Christ in order to responsibly handle the word of God is the most DANGEROUS kind of arrogance in the world.

You don't think your surgeon is arrogant for refusing to let some witch doctor work on your heart. You don't think he is demeaning when he says, "Mr. RD2, this guy is not qualified to split you open and take your heart out of your chest. I am. Let me do this, please. For YOUR sake!"

No. Your surgeon is a man who has spent years connected to the larger body of medicine. He is not somebody who leans on his FEELINGS. He has studied the history of medicine. He has learned from men long dead. He is in touch with the greatest medicinal minds living today. And you are thankful. Why not feel that way when it comes to the Word of God and the Kingdom of God?????

The Bible is clear. The Holy Ghost does not give us knowledge through osmosis. He inspired Paul to say, "Study to show thyself approved unto God..."

Why in the WORLD would you think that is demeaning or arrogant?

Can I tell you why I think you think that?

Because you want to think you are smart WITHOUT training. That's why people hate for me to point out the importance of training. It means they may not be a smart in reality as they want to think of themselves.

Could I be right?

4. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me too!

I too think Charismatic's are off base. I am not a Chrismatic; I am Pentecostal. In fact, I call it Bapticostal!

Please don't confuse all those who use tongues with five-fold, Charismatic! There is a difference. We just hold to Pentecost being the day the church was born and that the special in filling of the spirit never ended; ad won't end until He comes back for all of us!

Still, I am not about to make a call as to the unbiblical of Charismatic. I respect God enough to know that there is room enough in heaven for all of us, all that believe in Jesus as our personal savior, that is, to live on earth! Just as the Charismatic have hurt many folks with with their staunch beliefs, don't you think that the Armenian. Calvinist clashes has in fact, hurt a great many folks too?

The fact that ALL religions and doctrines have, in one way or another, caused spiritual causalities, can't be denied!

ALL churches will have a day of reckoning, as they have all missed the target in some ways! No one doctrine has a corner on Jesus of the truth. That is the lie of the devil that he'd like all of us to believe.

I have certainly not cornered the market, and neither has you, nor ICON, or anyone on this board.

The reason we all post our OPs is to see how many agree with us, versus how many don't! We are all looking for some validity in our teachings and beliefs, and the neat thing about this life on earth is that no one has found it! Some may be closer than others [although no one will admit it, one way or another], but when you break it down, we are all missing the target.

So, try not to take yourself too seriously. If you can find where you fit and feel somewhat comfortable and at ease with what you have grown to believe, that is an achievement!

Let's just not kill each other, over one teaching or another. That is how the Crusades began, and in a way, we are still crusading for one belief over another!

I feel good with tongues, my version, and there are those who speak in tongues that would call me a heretic because I do not believe tongues are the ONLY true sign of the baptism of the Holy Ghost! So be it! I am halfway between them and you, Luke, and I am not deterred from the one important fact ... I am going to heaven, and once I get there; I will learn from the Master the things I did right and the things I did wrong! I can wait until then to work it all out. I hope you can! In fact, I think you can and are already starting to do so! God bless! Let's keep the eggs' for breakfast, and not for the roofs of our neighbor's homes! :smilewinkgrin:

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

Actually, I think it just means 11% of our fellow members who've bothered to vote in the poll are also wrong. Be that as it may ... God bless!

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    point here is that they were operating and functioning in doing that BEFORE God completed His canon to us, so no more need for that since Apsotolic times!

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really understand where you are coming from regarding this issue,as I tried to stay a bapticostalist frosome time after moving from AoG to baptist, but after awhile, thru reading and studying the bible, and from reading up on charasmatic theology and practices, HD to make a decision to go baptist view only, as staying in middle was being 'double minded man!"

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

But you practice the charismata- the charismatic gifts. Just because you don't like TBN does not mean you are not charismatic.

And you seem to be saying that what matters is that you are "comfortable" with it- not that it is right or wrong based on Scripture carefully interpreted and rightly divided.

That is a problem.

#88 Luke2427, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or ...

Like Jesus said in Matthew 7:13-14, the path is narrow and not well traveled? Maybe the path to pentecostal gifts is as He said, sparsely traveled? :smilewinkgrin:

10. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thans for the point, BUT.

I do not think that your example is what is meant when the scripture speaks of a "Double-minded man!" I think it is speaking of a man caught between doing willingly serving the sinful desires of his heart while trying to serve God!

Like I said in severa posts over the years, I am an "All American mutt" when it comes to what and how I believe! I am not locked into one theology or doctrine. I like to think that I've prayerfully studied and taken upon myself the best that all doctrines and theologies have to offer. My pedigree as a believer is not to one leaning or another. You may be surprised, but I actually do quite well, living a life that borrows from the best teachings each denomination has to offer. I have slowly settled into who I am, and I believe, without a spiritual shadow of doubt, that I am comfortably arranged and bringing God glory and doing a great job when it comes to serving others in our world who are cast-offs, mutts so to speak, when it comes to religions. I like to refer to myself as a true nondenominational! :smilewinkgrin:

11. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that is not the problem!

The problem is your failure to see that there is a huge gap or difference between Pentecostals and charismatic. One being that charismatic believe that tongues is the evidence of the Batism of the Holy Ghost. Pentecostals, true Pentecostals, do no believe this, or teach this. The truth is, most Pentecostals don't even fall in line with what Pentecostalism is. While we believe in tongues as one of the evidence of the Holy Ghost within us, we DO NOT believe that it is the only evidence, and therefore, we do not push the gift of tongues.

It is no better or no more superior than any of the other gifts, and tongues must always be underscored by love, yielding to love, and being careful not to cause another to stumble [bruising the fruit] with anyone gift being lifted up and claimed as being more superior than another!

TBN is a sham of religiosity, and most of those on the network will have some things to answer for, in my opinion.

There is a difference, and I do not belong to the school of thought that accompanies charismatic! End of the story!

May I say this ... there are as many different groupings of Pentecosts as there are Baptists! I think you may understand that definition. So when some clumps all Baptists together, you jump up and share with them the errors in their way of thinking. I am doing the same with you. And more importantly, you need to stop seeing Charismatics in the same camp as Pentecostals! They are two different schools of thought! :godisgood:

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ramblings that goes on in the average church is not biblical tongues. It is a made up gobbley gook of sounds and syllables used to create the appearance of tongues and to feed the flesh. It is unholy, it is ungodly and it should not be going on in our churches.

Unless it is being used the the HG to firm up the gospel message to someone who has never heard it it is not tongues it is an abomination.

13. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    righteousdude2

Hello DUDE..

What language Dude??? or do you mean...rhyming noises?

no..not really....as no one has any such gift.

Making rhyming noises is no such thing.It is just rhyming noises.

Well Dude...you are a likeable person...but you understand I have to speak on this...or your outer body experience claims, or the "moving in the Spirit that Lk 24 addressed already....I do not take any pleasure in this Dude...I am suportive of several of your posts....but all this is another story.

No one on BB makes any such claim....but that does not mean that God has not taught on this matter that the church has already dealt with in history.

Many topics are already settled in this life time.

It did already Dude...with Apostolic sign gifts....then the Apostles were no longer here....The word was given....we have it Dude....God did not forget to tell us anything;
    3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

Yes...the day of pentecost and in the first century as sign manifestations

Sorry Dude...but-
    37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That is not my problem. I know the differences. I am saying they are all fruits of the same poisonous tree.

Again, you still espouse the core of what TBN is all about- that the sign gifts continue and that God is still giving new revelation today. That is the most dangerous thing about TBN. Not that they are swindlers. You think because you reject the hooves that you are safe. Yet you embrace whole heartedly the horns! You embrace, in other words, the most dangerous aspect of the movement.

15. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey bro!

Keep your eyes on the road, and don't you worry about me! Like I said before ... you believe as you wish, and I'll believe as I wish, and guess what? We'll not be spending eternity in different parts of heaven. In fact, I'll probably be your neighbor, and don't dare think you're going to borrow that proverbial cup of sugar more than once :smilewinkgrin:

As for the out of body experience [as you like to call it] ... I don't blame you for knocking it and doubting it and speaking like it is the craziest thing you've ever heard. However, I felt that way too, until I had it, and it took me three weeks of prayerfully arguing with God that it never happened, and tons of denial. That is when God hit me one more time, with another one of them things, you like to laugh about, and then I became a believer!

There are many things I used to speak out against, and even put people down for having, but ain't it like God to show some of us that He can do what we protest against the loudest!

Believe me, I don't think you have to worry about this coming your way, although it would silence you. Still, God has reasons for everything!

Need I remind you that all priests were Levites, but not all Levites were priests. Prayerfully dwell on that and then remember that out of all the people one would expect God to bring His leaders, God very seldom picked them from the Levite Tribe. I wonder why? Can you explain that? Maybe it's because they took their inheritance and calling to be a tribe of priests so seriously that God was not able to impress upon them the way He needed to in order to get the kind of leaders that would do the crazy things, like build an ark; rebuild the walls of the city; go hold a revival in Ninevah; sit in a lion's den; or make a stand that ended with a fiery prayer meeting. Then there was my namesake, he had an out of body experience that left him blind and once he got his sight back he turned the NT church on its ear! And believe me, what happened to Paul, or Peter when an angel came to the jail and led him out and to the prayer meeting; were no different than what I expereinced. It wasn't an out of body experience, ICON, it was a supernatural encounter with God. It is rather funny how people seem to take the facts and turn them around and upside down to make the person they are poking fun at, look like a crazed person!

God doesn't look for people that are going to sit around and analyses everything to the point that the task never gets done!

Still, I love you ICON, like a brother. And please don't text and drive. I want to have you around to remind me of my silly faith and out of line understanding of Scripture! :wavey:

Sign me, your kooky, nontraditional brother!

#95 righteousdude2, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  16. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong, wrong, wrong; BUT...

I think I'll let you believe as you wish! It is not for me to try and change the mind of those who have their minds and hearts made up! As to me embracing the "most dangerous" part of the movement! At least what you accuse me of embracing is a movement! It is moving forward, and not standing still, holding on to the things that have no spiritual animation. In other words, you think I'm holding on to something that is dangerous ... while I believe you are holding unto to something that has long ago died, and is stinking up the place!

Neither of us are going to budge, so be blessed, and like I say, we'll all know who was right and who was wrong in the sweet by and by! Thanks for the spirited dialogue. I think I'll just stay where I am, because you see, I've seen the movement of God, and I don't want to turn back to the ways that once enslaved me!

#96 righteousdude2, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So who cares what is true and right? All that matters is that you believe what you want to believe and I believe what I want to believe... Que Sera, Sera.

For goodness sake let's not discuss the issue! Let's not test our ideas against Scripture rightly divided! No. As long as you are comfortable with what you believe don't ever let biblical arguments get in the way of it! And who cares if someone points out that your arguments for what you believe are severely flawed? It doesn't matter. As long as you are COMFORTABLE with it.

I love you, brother, but I don't understand people like you.

If you can't support what you believe- if what you believe cannot stand up to biblical scrutiny... HOW ON EARTH CAN YOU BE COMFORTABLE WITH IT!!?!?!

And why on earth would you NOT want to discuss it further until you were certain that you had good biblical arguments for it???

I don't understand people like you, brother.

But God bless you and yours is my prayer.

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    righteousdude2

I try to Dude....did you see my albums...lol

Everyone believes something...the idea is to be on the same page:wavey:

This is the desired end.

Dude...I am out here in the public ..90% of the time....the road was shut..11 hours in western nebraska.....14 hours in ne oregon...

I had many good coversations and one or two sad ones....I presented sermonaudio to 11 different people in Nebraska.....one couple were missionaries home from Italy for a few months....several were former church members...a few were professed christians.... This one guy was an ex-mormon...who has drifted toward Rc church because of Scott Hahns radio show...and he went and gave me a copy of Scott Hahns book...he thought it would help me:laugh:...I kept it to be polite and to use as part of my cult file, but I still had to caution him from going toward the RC false teaching...I had to endure about a 15 minute story about how his parents went to medajgourie....and that the virgin mary made the rain stop when his mother had to get out of the car:sleeping_2:

it was quite sad that he went to this kind of subjective reasoning,rather than the word of God. I did not feel as confident for him because of that.

That Is why several of us are concerned for you Dude. You keep offering these kind of experiences..more than scripture.

here is the thing Dude...I believe something happened ...in your thinking, internally....I am nowhere called to believe this kind of thing ..at all.

let me say it this way..Dude-..if you are home in your prayer closet,and think the rhyming noises you are making is a "special,secret, prayer language" that satan cannot understand...{of course, you and no one here on earth can understand this noise either].....it does not affect me out here. I meet people and seek to engage them with gospel motives.

If you are simply making noise ..privately...it does not affact that at all.

Here however..you are posting publically and saying things that are not so without scriptural warrant.

Dude..years ago..i went, i looked , i listened to dozens of these persons...in person and watched this first hand. ...ALL was to be rejected as false...Shamback,and all these guys were false .It is not coming my way...I went and found it...and easily rejected it.

Even now....I am speaking with a family member who has a terminal diagnosis....I have offered prayer for healing...but I am more concerned with salvation coming even at this final time. I have spoken oven the years...and have had a few good opportunities to present the blood as essential....seeking God for mercy....making rhyming noises will not get it done.
    Dude...a known enemy of the church..Saul did have a supernatural intervention...and yet..it was at the time of Apostolic sign gifts, where the other foundational Apostles could authenticate this and include it in scripture...
    Petercalled Paul's writings scripture..before the word was sealed...you do not have this endorsement...If peter wrote that one day...Dude..would also have an experience...i would then believe it...but we are told not to add or take away from scripture.
    15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things;
    in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

see above ...

admit it Dude....you are a bit crazed:laugh:after all..you live in california.land of fruits and nuts they tell me,lol

We are to serve Him.

i post on breaks...i am 20 miles east of portland tonight at a truckstop..that is when i post.

I would encourage you to stay in the safe harbor of scripture;
    17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    righteousdude2

I try to Dude....did you see my albums...lol

http://www.baptistboard.com/album.php?albumid=67

Everyone believes something...the idea is to be on the same page:wavey:

This is the desired end.

Dude...I am out here in the public ..90% of the time....the road was shut..11 hours in western nebraska.....14 hours in ne oregon...

I had many good coversations and one or two sad ones....I presented sermonaudio to 11 different people in Nebraska.....one couple were missionaries home from Italy for a few months....several were former church members...a few were professed christians.... This one guy was an ex-mormon...who has drifted toward Rc church because of Scott Hahns radio show...and he went and gave me a copy of Scott Hahns book...he thought it would help me:laugh:...I kept it to be polite and to use as part of my cult file, but I still had to caution him from going toward the RC false teaching...I had to endure about a 15 minute story about how his parents went to medajgourie....and that the virgin mary made the rain stop when his mother had to get out of the car:sleeping_2:

it was quite sad that he went to this kind of subjective reasoning,rather than the word of God. I did not feel as confident for him because of that.

That Is why several of us are concerned for you Dude. You keep offering these kind of experiences..more than scripture.

here is the thing Dude...I believe something happened ...in your thinking, internally....I am nowhere called to believe this kind of thing ..at all.

let me say it this way..Dude-..if you are home in your prayer closet,and think the rhyming noises you are making is a "special,secret, prayer language" that satan cannot understand...{of course, you and no one here on earth can understand this noise either].....it does not affect me out here. I meet people and seek to engage them with gospel motives.

If you are simply making noise ..privately...it does not affact that at all.

Here however..you are posting publically and saying things that are not so without scriptural warrant.

Dude..years ago..i went, i looked , i listened to dozens of these persons...in person and watched this first hand. ...ALL was to be rejected as false...Shamback,and all these guys were false .It is not coming my way...I went and found it...and easily rejected it.

Even now....I am speaking with a family member who has a terminal diagnosis....I have offered prayer for healing...but I am more concerned with salvation coming even at this final time. I have spoken oven the years...and have had a few good opportunities to present the blood as essential....seeking God for mercy....making rhyming noises will not get it done.
    Dude...a known enemy of the church..Saul did have a supernatural intervention...and yet..it was at the time of Apostolic sign gifts, where the other foundational Apostles could authenticate this and include it in scripture...
    Petercalled Paul's writings scripture..before the word was sealed...you do not have this endorsement...If peter wrote that one day...Dude..would also have an experience...i would then believe it...but we are told not to add or take away from scripture.
    15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things;
    in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

see above ...

admit it Dude....you are a bit crazed:laugh:after all..you live in california.land of fruits and nuts they tell me,lol

We are to serve Him.

i post on breaks...i am 20 miles east of portland tonight at a truckstop..that is when i post.

I would encourage you to stay in the safe harbor of scripture;
    17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

20. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were you talking about the state or the movie?

NEBRASKA???

My old stomping grounds. I spent five years in the state, and did a lot of growing up, as a sub-planted Califonian away from mommy and daddy for the first time. I had to swim or sink ... and with God's help [and was of God], I swam and swam and swam!

That state is where my career got its roots and beginnings. I did everything from writing my first book; to write a major report (with four other social workers) for the state
    Social Services and DOJ [3,500 pages on the lack of programs and services for Status Offending Youth]; I became a regular on local television regarding youth advocacy; had a call-in radio show for parents and teens; I initiated the beginning of YOUth Services Week, and the program and emergency foster care homes continued long after the grant ended; I spoke to the legislative body and governor about youth programs and needs as I helped change how teens were cared for after arrested for status offenses [runaways, truancy, etc.]. I was recognised by many agencies in central Mebraksa for my work with youth, and then when the June 1980 tornado ripped up Grand Island, I was assigned to work with three of the seven families who lost people to the storm.

From there I moved to Omaha, ended up working on a grant with the Omaha Girls Club [a six million dollar grant by Ruppert Murdock -met him and attended several gatherings s with him] to start several new programs for the girls in that area [molestation awareness and counseling, transportation program to bus girls to the club, junior Summer's jobs training program based on SYETP].

Like I said, the flat lands of Husker country did amazing things for me, and took me places I could've only dreamed of doing. And as I looked back, those five years were a major foundation in helping me to be a building block in ministries. God did use this experience to give me a new-found confidence, a confidence that has carried me well into the things I've accomplished since my days in Nebraska.

So when you mentioned being through there, I couldn't help but remanence about the days God grew me up through public service and private service associations! All of which led me into future ministry endeavors that have only been a plus because of my days in the land of corn and wonderful, down to earth folks!

BTW - I know we are more alike than you admit, and I appreciate our friendship. You are a brother I'd do most anything for, and that includes praying [not in tongues of course, as it may offend you - LOL] for you! Godspeed and may He always protect your every mile on the road! Thanks for your thoughtful response to my response! We may disagree, but we are still one in the same spirit. We just see the Spirit in different ways, and you know what? That is okay. I dedicate the following two photos to you! I think if you look hard enough, ICON, you will see both of us peacefully finding our place in the Body of Christ!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.