1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Speaking in Tongues Volume 3...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by D28guy, Dec 22, 2005.

1. D28guy

D28guy New Member

music4Him!

Your right!

[​IMG]

Left guy: "Tongues are for today."

Right guy: "No they are not!"

"It says to in this scripture!"

"No it doesnt!"

"It says so in these scriptures!"

"No it doesnt!"

"This paragraph here makes it clear."

"No it doesnt!"

"Millions of people speak in tongues!"

"No they dont!"

"These hundreds of scriptures make it clear!"

"No they dont!"

Etc etc etc...

Mike :D

2. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Yep! Mike sad but true. :(

Just a suggestion.....Maybe we ought to step back and look at Pauls character of all his books he wrote? To acually get a mind set of how he really feels.
    He explains the gifts (1Cor 12), puts up guide lines of the use of gifts (1Cor 12 & 14), then says to use them in love (1Cor 13) (maybe because some were using them for selfish reasons?) MOHO, There are some who abuse the gift and think themselves better than others that don't have it....to me that is an abuse also.

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

music4Him,

'You said, He explains the gifts (1Cor 12), puts up guide lines of the use of gifts (1Cor 12 & 14), then says to use them in love (1Cor 13) (maybe because some were using them for selfish reasons?) MOHO, There are some who abuse the gift and think themselves better than others that don't have it....to me that is an abuse also.'

4. D28guy

D28guy New Member

music$Him,

I agree completly.

Mike

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

6. music4Him

music4Him New Member

quote by Ray:
    -------------------------------------------------
    My guess is that you can agree with me here.

I do not speak in tongues but will not deny that God uses these gifts in our generation. This would be to go against the Lord and His sacred Word.

-------------------------------------------------
    Amen! Paul said that not all will speak with tongues. But those not gifted with tongues are still a very important part of the body. They just might be the feet that keep us grounded?

BTW, a funny thing I heard the other day about the body.....God won't put a underarm and a nose together. [​IMG]

Just like all of us..... we might not agree on alot of issues, but we still ought to get along. [​IMG]

7. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

DHK,

You said, 'None of the gifts were given for the selfish edification of one's own self.'

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

9. music4Him

music4Him New Member

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Ray Berrian:

[qb]

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, not in the context of speaking of the gifts of the Spirit. All the gifts of the Spirit were given for the edification of the entire church. Not one of them was given for one's own use, even if it was for the edification of one's self. That would be selfish, since the gift was to be for the whole church, not just for one's self.

Outside of the gifts of spirit there are many examples. Being rich is not a bad thing in itself. But what good is it if you don't share it with others.
    What about the matter of prayer. Do you pray for others? Or selfishly pray only for yourself? A person can do good things and still be selfish. When self is the center of your life, even if you do good: reading your Bible, praying, going to church, etc. you are still in the wrong. You may be doing all those things only for your self.

But the gifts of the spirit especially were for the edification of the entire church and no one had the right to use any one of them just for themselves.
    DHK

11. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

DHK,

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Ray, stick to the topic. What you have posted has nothing whatsoever to do with the gifts of the spirit. All the gifts of the Spirit were given to the entire church and for its edification.
    If they weren't Ray, show me from the Bible, not with snide remarks.
    DHK

13. standingfirminChrist

From what I see in the scripture about the day of Pentecost, it was not an unknown tongue or babbling that was spoken. The people of the city heard those speaking in their own languages. They understood the Gallileans speaking in their own dialect.

I have seen many visitors walk out of the Pentecostal Fellowship when tongues were spoken. Upon calling on them, I found that they were confused about the tongues people were speaking. The Spirit convicted me at that time. God is not the author of confusion. I began to look into deeper studies of the tongues in the body of Christ and found the tongues spoken in the fellowship were out of God's order and unbiblical.

We taped a service in a Wadsworth, Ohio meeting back in 93 where the service was going good. All of a sudden a woman began babbling in an undistinguishable tongue. About a minute later a man interpreted and the body began to thank and praise the Lord. Later in the service, the lady went off in tongues again and another interpretation was given and accepted.

Upon going home, we listened to the tape and discovered something very interesting, the messages in tongues were exactly the same word for word, syllable for syllable, yet there were two different interpretations!

At Eastern Gate Assembly of God in Greensboro, NC I attended many services in revivals. One of the members stood almost every night and would repeat the same syllable over and over again, nothing else. Just 'Paw' several times for about 50 to 65 seconds. Always, the pastor, Fred Riggins would interpret. Always, a different interpretation.

My friends, you say it is of God, but I do not see scripture to even say it is of God or in God's divine order.

14. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

DHK,

15. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

standingfirminChrist,

16. standingfirminChrist

Ray Berrian,

I was not trying to discredit Jesus. How many times have you gone back and listened to a message because something just did not sound right? That is not discrediting Jesus.

I grew up in a Pentecostal Church, Manassas Assembly of God on the corner of Maple and Quarry Street in Manassas Virginia. The church was sold back in the 80's to the Catholics, who turned it into Seton Hall. Funny thing is, the cornerstone was never changed... it still says Manassas Assembly of God.

Back on track, I grew up amongst the wagging tongues and the slain in the Spirit movement, and you know what?, I liked it. I was there for every service possible. Forward several years, I was ordained in a Pentecostal Fellowship other than AoG and continued to believe all was in God's order.

But the Spirit convicted my heart, not in the Church of God in Wadsworth, I only noticed the repeat after I got home, not before. The only reason I attended the AoG in Greensboro was that they were in revival and I like to visit other churches. That church was in revival for 5 nights. I attended every night. The messages were very good. But my heart was saddened at the fact that the tongues in the churches are being misused. If at best, they are edifying self more than the body.

[ December 31, 2005, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: standingfirminChrist ]

17. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

standingfirminChrist,

I do not tape messages/sermons though I see nothing wrong with doing this.

The preachers I listen to always preach the truth. They do not usually get off of controversial doctrines.

If I hear something I do not agree with, it is like 'water off a ducks back.'

There are some real nutty preachers out there, though they be very few--thank God. Have you ever hear of Mr. Camping from Family Radio that preaches his false doctrines around the world. He believes that the age of the church is over and that Christians should only listen to him and should quit going to church?

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Ray

18. standingfirminChrist

I have heard Harold Camping, yes.

Unfortunately, there are many false prophets out there that we have to hear practically every day. That is why we are to 'Study to show ourselves approved unto God', that we might 'rightly divide the Word of Truth'.

I am against any teaching that the child of God can just stay at hom and turn on his or her radio or television for spiritual nourishment and growth.

The Bible tells us we are not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together. The disciples were reminded at one point that 'the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up'. The Psalmist wrote, 'I was glad when they said unto me let us go unto the house of the Lord.'

There are many instances of the gathering of the people even as early as Genesis 49:10b.

I do know there are some that are bedridden and can't get out. Some, like me, are blind and cannot drive to church. That is where the neighbor should go by and visit the one who is able to go, but has no transportation. Go to visit the bedridden one, take the name of Jesus with you!

I am thankful that my wife still drives and we can go to church. There is nothing like fellowship and unity with the Brethren. Psalm 133:1 tells us 'Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for the brethren to dwell together in unity.'

19. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

. </font>[/QUOTE]This is usually what resorts I find from talking to those who speak in tongues. That becasue there is nothing "exciting" going on in the service it is dead. It depends what ones calls exciting. I find it very exciting to sing spiritual songs of praise and open the Word of God. it is enough for me. I do not need any other "sign" or "proof" that God is who He says He is.
    I understand tonuges in the bible perfectly. I have my doubts about some of my theology but tongues is not one. I find that the tongues movement going on today, as so many have stated, in the tongues moveement can be proven to be in error by shifting it through the word of God. There is no prayer language, there is no special need for it...I will pray with the spirit and the understanding also and I do not need a sign other then God's Word that He is who He says He is. The tongues movement have gone from one silly movement to another. Seeking another sign or what God can show them. Yet they run the ailsways, barking like dogs, healing services, laughing fits and any other thing that will come down the pike. God gave us His word that is enough for me. I do not condemn a weaker brother who needs more though.

20. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Timtoolman said:Yet they run the ailsways, barking like dogs, healing services, laughing fits and any other thing that will come down the pike. God gave us His word that is enough for me. I do not condemn a weaker brother who needs more though.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, please don't lump us all together. I have never seen anyone bark like a dog,and if I do, I will be one of the first to give them a strong rebuke.

Second of all, what makes you think we are the "weaker brethren" because we have something DIFFERENT, Not better or worse, just DIFFERENT!!

I am not weaker than you, just because I have some gift that you don't believe in!! :eek:

Working for Jesus,

Tam