1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Specific "Problem of a pastor"

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Istherenotacause, May 5, 2003.

?
  1. qualified

100.0%
  2. disqualified

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

1. When the pastor tries to justify questionable activity placing himself above the law to accomplish what he feels is the will of God?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A whole generation of ifb'ers have been unduly influenced by the "big name" preachers that say they are "obeying God" by disregarding all sorts of laws.

How many jokes about preachers defying speed limits?
    How many sad stories of preachers defying moral commands and having "affairs"?

Pastors justify their defiance of laws as being "closer to God". I heard Jack Hyles once say that he would throw out the fire marshall rather than let the government tell him how to run his church.

MY ministry
    HIS church

Obviously a problem. Good topic!

3. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I think Jesus admonished us to give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's. We are also instructed that leaders are God's ministers. That would tell me that if the law is not in direct opposition to His precous word, then we need to follow it. And, I must confess, I sometimes catch myself speeding.

4. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

I agree. What I'm specifically asking is in reference to a particular situation that can endanger my license to perform work within the state. My refusal to do the work has led to my being talked about and put down for not doing as that pastor had asked. I will note that this man is not my pastor.

There are other pastors that have the same attitude towards the local building and zoning officials duty to enforce the laws governing the district. How should I go about handling the adversity making sure that my name is no longer blemished?

This one pastor hired a man to do work on his new constructed home, when I saw that the work was substandard to say the least, I was rebuked for not volunteering to do the work to begin with. Also it was laid on me to finish the work begun, which led to the other work proposed to be done without a permit, and the system would not work anyway. Also the first work was done under what is referred to as a "home owners" affadavit to sign off that the work was done by the home ownwer which was not. I feel this man has lied to the county. I could have permitted the work under my license, but was not asked and I wasn't going to volunteer either.

What I'm experiencing is the wrath of his congregation over this dilemma, his too. I want to remain in fellowship with these people, but it seems I'm condemned before I even speak. Also I don't want to defame this particular pastor. All suggestions will be considered.

5. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgive me Dr. Bob if this is a different situation, but I believe the remark Dr. Hyles made regarding the fire marshall was due to the fact that they were not going to allow First Baptist to burn oil lanterns in their auditorium for their "Old Fashioned Sunday."

Dr. Hyles then stated something to the effect, "I'll remove the lanterns as soon as you tell the catholic church down the road to blow out all of their candles." Then he made the statement you mentioned in a message later on.

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

It is a shame that a man who considers himself a pastor is putting you down because of your diligence in this matter. I am guessing that this is the same type of "pastor" who thinks that his laypeople are lazy if they don't give at least 20 hours/week to church ministry work (on top of the 50-60 hours they spend earning the income that God has given them to provide for their family).

[quoe]There are other pastors that have the same attitude towards the local building and zoning officials duty to enforce the laws governing the district. How should I go about handling the adversity making sure that my name is no longer blemished?[/quote]

You should continue to perform the legal service according to the laws of your state. Any pastor who says you are unfaithful because of this is probably not qualified to be a pastor...and we are not talking about civil disobedience (re: abortion protesting) here.

I love this one. A pastor who would probably quote Luke 10:7 to any layman who questions a pastor's salary is probably the same fella who demands that his laypeople provide their skills at no charge.

You are wise to avoid defaming this pastor. However, it would be helpful if the concepts of discipline in Matthew 18 were followed in this case. You might get a full hearing before a church.

7. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I can understand the dilemma. You have a responsibility to follow the laws of the county or state. That is part of being licensed. As far as plying your trade, perhaps discounting for the pastor, but he should not demand your services for free. That would be between you and God. I do charge church members a discounted rate when I work for them. ( I left remodelling and went over to computers)

But if he expects free labor, or is breaking the law of the land, then in my opinion he is sinning. Just as it is sin when we disregard the speed limit.