1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Speech Therapy

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by BibleMaMa, Apr 22, 2008.

1. BibleMaMa

BibleMaMa New Member

Hi All. I have a question I am hoping someone can help me with. I homeschool my son who is 7 and in 2nd grade. I notice he slurs his words and S's. I have worked with him to try to straighten it out and he does well for a few days then he falls right back.

I feel he may need speech therapy. I would like to do it myself. Does anyone even know if there are work books out there for speech therapy? I looked it up online and came up empty. Any help would be appreciated.

Also another question if any one would know this. Could I possible get him speech therapy in our local public school? Is he entitled to that since I do homeschool?

Thanks
    ~Me~

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not able to answer your questions, but I would like to pass something on.
    First, I never started to talk until I was 6 years old. Then I did, I had a severe speech impediment. Very few people could understand me. Due to that problem I had very few friends as a young child. In grammer school, I started speech classes. It took about 7 years, but my speech improved over the years.
    Now I am a preacher and formerly was a radio talk show host. I am proof of a miracle:jesus: :godisgood:

I trust your son will be able to get the help he needs

Salty

ps, the letter I had the most trouble with was "r"

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In our state a child must be in public or private school to qualify for the "free" speech therapy. Home schoolers aren't eligible, even though we pay taxes like the other parents. You can find a speech therapist and set up appointments, but I warn you it isn't cheap. By 2nd or 3rd grade these sounds should all be mastered, so the quicker you get him in therapy the better.

My youngest has problems with her r and s sounds, too. Since she attends a private school, she is in speech therapy. Basically, they have to learn to say the sound, then sound blends, then the word, and the sound in different places in the word. Right now my daughter has practiced her sounds at the beginning of the word, but still has to master the sounds at the end.

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Same in my state. Homeschoolers cant take advantage of the programs offered to private and public school students. You may need to seek out a professional for a short time, it probably wouldnt take long.

5. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

My wife is a speech therapist and here in MO, as long as the child is school aged and as long as the parent/guardian is able to provide transportation, then the child can get services at a nearby public school.

David

6. sister christian

Although I have a thorough professional background to understand the need for professional speech therapy (I am in the medical field) let me assure you from my own personal experience-

My child had trouble with the r sound. I was quite concerned because there was no speech therapy offered in the christian school. By second or 3rd grade, the problem had worked itself out, just by my working with her, and just as a normal part of growth and development.

Conversely, I had a slight lisp in kindergarten. They insisted on immediately putting me into speech therapy, instead of waiting to see if this would correct itself on its own. As a result of the therapist trying to teach me how to say the s sound the right way, and my misunderstanding what she was telling me to do, I developed a severe lateral lisp, which took years to correct. My mother was furious but had no say, as this was years and years ago in the public school system when parents didnt really have many rights and couldn't advcate like they can today.

So, my point is, sometimes it's better to just leave a kid alone. And pray.

ETA- my daughter also was very, very late in when she first started talking. And for a long, long time she would barely talk at all.

(Now of course she's a teenager and I can't keep her quiet! :D )

#6 sister christian, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2008
  7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Tater and ABCgrad, someone in your states needs to make a complaint to the Office of Civil Rights.

It does not matter how a child is educated, the public school system in each state is responsible for providing special education services (such as speech therapy) to ANY child within it's jurisdiction. These are federally funded services and it is not up to the state to tell you that you don't qualify simply because you homeschool.

Go to www.edu.gov and do a search for the rights of privately educated students and 504 services. Play around with the key words to find the best information. There are links there for asking questions and making complaints. Another good key word is "Child Find" which will bring up what the states are supposed to do in order to find children who are being privately schooled(homeschools are included in this group) that are in need of special education services.

One caveat: In Alabama, where we homeschool under the "umbrella" of a church school, the church school itself may not allow you to seek services through the government. If you are here, you need to google VAST network (I know VAST is the major part of their name). They are the special education homeschool school umbrella (a church sponsers this ministry) that I know exists in this state and they can tell you how to best access special education services in Alabama. Actually, they might be a good place to go just for infomation that you can then apply to your own state.

8. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the info, MK. I plan to homeschool again this coming fall and if my dd still needs speech therapy by then, I'll know what to do.