1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spider invasion/lifestyle ponderings

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Gina B, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Icky icky icky! Here's the news story: http://kfor.com/2012/07/25/brown-recluse-spiders-invade-stillwater-apartment/

We've seen a few before and one bit me on the foot. I have a picture of what that looked like...pretty nasty, but the ER doc refused to acknowledge it was a recluse since it didn't eat the skin, but it did affect my whole foot before it started healing and I think that how I cared for it may have helped, and perhaps the spider was small enough to not cause it the skin to die?

The more I learn about this state, the more I'm convinced that it wasn't meant to be inhabited. Extreme heat, natural disasters, they're closing the lakes due to sickening/deadly algae...I don't get why people settled here. I do get why the cost of living is the lowest I've seen in any state though, which in a way makes it easier to deal with.

Still, it's like the powers that be gave every indication that modern living in this area just isn't a good idea. Perhaps, like central Alaska, it is meant for more natural living...sparse populations of groups who stick together and live off it naturally. There simply seems to be too many dangers and too little resources for "typical" Americans to live here.

I'm sure there are other places like that besides here and Alaska. What do you think? Are we being "poor stewards" when we try to live in places like this and force modern lifestyles into areas where they seem so obviously not meant to be? By modern, I don't mean just recent years...I mean settled areas with permanent structures and places to shop and such, rather than surviving off hunting and building structures that are designed to withstand the natural violence of nature and are not a great loss and life altering if they are destroyed.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Maybe it has something to do with climate change - or they are evolving.

3. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Ok, Gina, I don't dare read that - I'm heading to bed and I don't want nightmares!!!!!!!! :eek:

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

The story reminds me of a visit to Patero which makes a soft drink that is world famous in New Zealand (part of its ad). Well, we drove into the carpark for a stretch and walkabout......however, there were spiders EVERYWHERE....tiny ones on the breeze...we must of parked in a hatchery.

All aboard....my ankles started itching as we flew down the highway at warp drive to blow all the suckers away from US. true story...

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Living in the desert I have learned that Geckos are your friends.

[​IMG]

I had a serious problem with those spiders in my shop lumber rack and one day I found I a gecko in there but I left him alone, they are pretty cute. Next thing I know all the spiders were gone. These little guys book around and snarf up spiders like you wouldn't believe. I have one that lives in my house now. I've seen him spring out from under the couch to nail a spider crossing the floor and also hunt down a chirping cricket.

Mine, "Hermy" is banded like the one on the rock except mine is fat and happy like this one:

[​IMG]

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I wouldn't be the first one to get a lizard around here to eat the bugs, and in a place without extremely mild winters, I'm told most everyone has them. I'd never even SEEN a house cockroach until I moved to Oklahoma. YUCK!

However, I'm afraid I'd step on the lizard or it would crawl on me while I'm asleep. If not, surely one of the kids would kill it and I didn't bother asking hubby. If I lived alone, I'd probably get a few and let them roam free.