1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spinoff from the "Wilkinson" thread...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forever settled in heaven

bwahahaha. what a gem of doublespeak!

after all's said an done, HG manages to explain the KJB's wording into the MVs' meaning. hilarious ... discomfort being the root of all redefinition.

case rested, i guess.

#21 Forever settled in heaven, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
  2. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Convulsing again?

Elementary things are considered elements. I didn't mention The Periodic Table, itr was just assumed by roby, and you.

Show me where, just once, that water isn't present in any form of oxidation?

Show me just once where all evil doesn't fit into the catagory of all kinds of evil?

Seems the wannabe's for easier to read versions would rather hold up redundency as some sort of idolistic reasoning verses the KJV just so they can rant and rave about it.

Maybe I'm wrong, NOT, but you people demand easier to read versions and insist on redundent wording.:laugh:

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

- Says the man who cannot spell "redundancy", "redundant" or "idealistic". Oh, yes- or "versus".

#23 Mexdeaf, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you Mexdeaf. Aside from myself, EdSutton would probably like to thank you for your service.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Aww, shucks, it was nothing- every once in a while I channel Language Cop.:smilewinkgrin:

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. Garvey:Convulsing again?

Elementary things are considered elements. I didn't mention The Periodic Table, itr was just assumed by roby, and you.[/i]

But it DOES exist. Although the written table was created by man, the atoms GOD caused to exist are accurately described in it.

Show me where, just once, that water isn't present in any form of oxidation?

Never said it wasn't. however, the water remains H2o. it is a catalyst of many forms of oxidation. it often accelerates rust, but rust can occur without any water being present. And while being a furnace operator at the steel mill where i work, I removed excess carbon from molten steel by injecting o2 into it. Hardly any water present in 3000-degree molten metal!

Show me just once where all evil doesn't fit into the catagory of all kinds of evil?

Easy!

If I get angry with someone & shoot him, but leave his body & possessions alone, I have committed the evil of murder, but not the evil of robbery. I woulda committed only ONE kinda evil at that time.

Seems the wannabe's for easier to read versions would rather hold up redundency as some sort of idolistic reasoning verses the KJV just so they can rant and rave about it.

No redundancy there. The simple fact is that the lova money is NOT THE roota ALL evil. I have posted several clear examples of this. I could make a lista such evils that'd make this thread 500 pages long. Now, THAT would be redundant, as I only need ONE example to make my point.

In your zeal to defend the KJVO codwallop, you've let common sense go out the window.

Maybe I'm wrong, NOT, but you people demand easier to read versions and insist on redundent wording.:laugh:

Mr. Garvey, you REALLY should study some bible history. Tyndale said, to a RC priest, " If God spare my life, before very long I shall cause a plough boy to know the scriptures better than you do!" He intended to translate the Bible into English, so any Englishman who could read could read the Scriptures in his own tongue. The KJV was a step in the history of the bible in English, the best translation of its day. Now that day is past, and newer versions have been made to reflect the changes in English from the AV1611 days, to be easier to read,just as the AV was easier for an Englishmen of the 1600s to read than Wycliffe's or Tyndale's versions were.

GOD DID NOT RETIRE IN 1611! He goes right on causing His word to appear in TODAY'S languages. It's quite apparent that He wants His word understandable to those who desire to read it or hear it preached.

And it was GOD who caused/allowed the changes in the languages that have occurred over time. Thus, He causes updated translations of His word to be made, to reflect those changes.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Many scholars insist that the Geneva was better.

Well, it was easier to read than the first Wycliffe Bible. The second one would not have been that hard to understand for a literate 17th century person.

I really think that Tyndale's version sounds more up-to-date in many places than does the KJV.

8. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

10 For the love of money is a root [e] of all kinds of evil, and by craving it, some have wandered away from the faith (L) and pierced themselves with many pains. (HCSB)

e. 1 Timothy 6:10 Or is the root

OOPS! Did HCSB get it wrong Robycop3?

9. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Ah, yes, the old legalism spirit emerges to try and do away with the truth.:laugh:

Cannot refute the redundancy so we have to use other means to try and discredit the TRUTH!:laugh:

Thanks for the speling lesson, but you do know that English makes use of the "e" often times where the "a" is also used as acceptable.

Now, some one tell us all where all evil is not "all kinds of evil" ?

If "the root" somehow separates itsself from "a root of all kinds" where is the correction?

The simpler understanding is far better, unless of course you're on the enemy's side and trying to confuse simple reason.:sleep:

10. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

yes, and your ideas concerning God are also found contrary due to your thinking also makes God responsible for allowing sin to destroy people and their families.

No one has ever said God retired in 1611. Your obsession has ruled over you for long enough.

You seem to be confused and somewhat behaving as an insane person would with your much speaking. It also appears you to be acting in a convulsive manner.

It is very obvious you place the authority over the word of God into the hands of men, but one problem, when you refer to men and what they say you forget God said things much better.

rant and rave, roby, rant and rave.

11. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

is this a "codwallop"?

The artical "a" also determines things to be the one and only, or just simply the original, in may instances of English literature as well as the many other languages which incorporate its use in ther similar words.

redundancy never did accomplish anything but bore the fool out of people who want the simple pleasures in life.

12. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NEWP! Plainly, they used the CORRECT word in the text.

13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, how SILLY! you didn't bother to address a single point I posted. Therefore, I'll not reply to your trash in the above post.

14. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. Garvey: is this a "codwallop"?

"Codwallop" is New Zealand slang meaning 'nonsense' & is from the British 'cod's wallop'. (No, I am not a New Zealander, but I was around some of them while I was in the USN.)

The artical "a" also determines things to be the one and only, or just simply the original, in may instances of English literature as well as the many other languages which incorporate its use in ther similar words.

But here, from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, is the meaning which applies in 1 Tim. 6:10:[/b]
    redundancy never did accomplish anything but bore the fool out of people who want the simple pleasures in life.

And neither did a stubborn belief in a MAN-MADE doctrine of worship.

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He apparently can't spell 'article' correctly, either. (See post #31, this thread.)

16. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon:Many scholars insist that the Geneva was better.

And in ways it was. It had Psalm 12:7 correct. And it was in Roman font. (I dunno if the British of the 1600s could read Roman font more easily than they could read Gothic font or not!)

17. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AntennaFarmer [​IMG]
    10 For the love of money is a root [e] of all kinds of evil, and by craving it, some have wandered away from the faith (L) and pierced themselves with many pains. (HCSB)

e. 1 Timothy 6:10 Or is the root

OOPS! Did HCSB get it wrong Robycop3?

Robycop3: "NEWP! Plainly, they used the CORRECT word in the text."

The HCSB endorsed the "the" reading as correct by putting it in the margin.

Again, you are incorrect to say that the KJV reading is wrong.

Since it is clearly demonstrated that you are wrong on this point all of your arguments become suspect.

A.F.

#37 AntennaFarmer, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2009
  18. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, MY argument is CORRECT...YOURS is wrong. I have posted examples of evils NOT done for lova money, which cinches my argument, while YOU have tried to pull something outta thin air.

And I see you have said nothing about "all KINDS of evil" in the HCSB.

And if I recall correctly, you had a lot to say against the marginal notes in the AV1611 about Psalm 12:7, and about the marginal note for Isaiah 14:12. So, how about a little consistency? If you're gonna endorse this note in the HCSB, let's endorse all of them in every English version.

19. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Oh, so you're gonna limit the word of God to M-W?:laugh:

Seems the resources you're using limits your intelligence, also you're putting the article found in English into the Greek which does not always demand the use of it.

So tell me, just when did all evil become separate from all kinds of evil and where do you make this distinction?

Even common sense makes relation to getting gain as getting money which is the root of all evil, just ask the king of tyre, he thought he could exalt his throne above God's Throne and that IS gain to the devil! But God is God and the devil aint and Lucifer fell like lightning fall from Heaven and that was because of the root of all evil is the love of getting gain/money.:smilewinkgrin:

Just plain silly YOU are.

20. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

Thin air?

1. The translation in the KJV is consistent with the Greek.

2. There is no indefinite article "a" in the original language so the translator inserted it. That is a judgment call on the part of the translator. In the original language an article is not required (or even expected) before root. You can't make an argument that "a" should be used instead of "the" just because the article is omitted.

3. The verse in the modern versions doesn’t support your theory because your theory requires the verse to read "For the love of money is a root of some kinds of evil". None of the modern versions support that.

The language "a root of" is inclusive. It does suggest that there may be other roots of evil in addition to the "love of money". It does not suggest, however, that the "love of money" may be excluded as a root of any evil.

4. "all kinds of evil" doesn't substantially change the implications of the verse because every evil is included in "all kinds of evil".

5. Your argument cleverly substitutes a list of sins for "kinds of evil". Evil and sin are related but not quite the same. Clever but false.

6. I presented a recent scholarly reference (in a posting above) that gives an opinion supporting the KJV translation of the verse.

7. I have shown that the HCSB accepts "the love of money" as a possible reading. The RSV also supports "the love of money" as well. Most early versions read the same way.

I don't have to endorse the note in order to point out that they (HCSB translators) accept the reading as possible. I admit that they chose the text (rather than the note) as their preferred reading. (That works because I am saying that the KJV is correct, not that the others are wrong.) Had they rejected the translation "the root" they would not have given it as an alternate reading in the note.

8. There are other theories as to the meaning of the verse that do not follow yours or mine. One of them is that the passage is intended to be hyperbolic. If that is the case then the passage should best be translated in the strong sense (as in the KJV). That is to say: if it is an intentional overstatement in the Greek then the translation should also be an overstatement.

9. The Scripture doesn't have to read like you expect it to. Logic and common sense have been used to "disprove" creation, the virgin birth of Christ and the resurrection of our Lord. Should we tweak the scriptures to eliminate those? I don't think so!

10. Thirty pieces of silver.

Robycop3:

I think I should say that I am not trying to stomp you. If you are against Ruckman et al then fine. I don't endorse his ideas so have at it.

If you love your modern versions then that is fine by me too. Feel free to prove them right. I don't appreciate it, though, when you trash my favorite version of the Holy Bible by repeating false ideas. I don't appreciate it that you try to promote your agenda by finding fault with my KJV.

In spite of all that I want to point out that I believe you are my brother in Christ. I love you even though I don't love some of your ideas. Where you are wrong on some points I pray that you be forgiven. Where I am wrong then I hope for the same.

A.F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.