1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Spiritual Formation"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by FlyForFun, Aug 27, 2009.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Your church burns incense. But your church operatates, obviously, under the normative princple of worship rather than the regulative. I would say your offering worship together not prescribed by the Word of God.

Again, like Mitchell says, this is more confusion. We are talking about the emergent church...which emergent isn't exclusively Christian? What does that mean?

Your church you claim to be emergent. WHen we look for that out there and what it means, and who its leaders are, we find heresy and denial of truth itself. You have chosen to be a part of a church that identifies itself with that. ANd its a shame to see.

Here are some guesses about your beliefs and your churches:

1. The Roman Catholic Church is a Christian church.
    2. There is much to learn from Christian mystics such as Brother Lawrence.
    3. Clearing of the mind in our candle lit prayers rooms is good.
    4. Truth can be found through private meditation from within.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBTS Introduces First Protestant Ph.D. Degree in Spirituality in United States

“Spirituality is one of the fastest-growing areas of theological education. If someone — regardless of background — wants a terminal degree in spirituality so they can teach in this fast-growing field, Southern will now become the top choice for most doctoral students. It is exciting to think of influencing such a great percentage of the next generation of those who plan to teach what you yourself teach.” ---Professor Don Whitney

“Don Whitney and Michael Haykin are the two preeminent evangelical leaders on spiritual formation and the spiritual disciplines. I can think of no two scholars I would rather see training up a new generation of scholars and leaders in this field.” ---Dean Russell Moore

3. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

Selective quotes... later on in the same article we read:

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yeah, and? Burning incense isn't unbiblical. I also burn incense in my home from time to time. I happen to live the grape incense. Makes me hungry, though.
    Only to those who categorically condemn emergent churches. Doesn't seem to be a problem for others.
    Hymns aren't exclusively Christian, yet you sing hymns. Praying isn't exclusively Christian, yet you pray. Closing your eyes isn't exclusively Christian, yet you do it when praying. You're condeming a church for being emergent, but you're not condemning hymns, praying, or closing yoru eyes when you pray.
    Actually, we're Reformed Baptist. But again, you fail in being able to list anything in our faith or practice that is unscriptural.

5. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

IF you are "reformed baptist," why on earth would you be "emergent"?

What's the advantage of using that term -- as ripe with problems as it is?

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. ReformedBaptist

Well, sounds like we have both said our peace and now its resulting in bantering back and forth.

Your congregation isn't Reformed Baptist unless it holds to a Reformed Baptist Confession of Faith.

Nice chatting with you.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

SOmeone once asked me a similar question: If we are "baptist", why would we be "reformed"?

We have some reformed beliefs, and we have some emergent practices. But we hold first and foremost to Scripture in all matters of faith and practice.
    We do. We adhere to the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith.

#68 Johnv, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
  9. ReformedBaptist

Your failing. lol Seriously...your congregation has moved away from it core teaching on the regulative principle of worship.

Is your congregation affiliated with ARBCA?

Then your not holding to the creed. Creeds are good if they are used. Sounds like your congregation is using it very haphazardly.

1. Is your congregation Calvinist in its soteriology?
    2. Does your church teach Covenant Theology?
    3. Are you practicing the regulative principle of worship?
    4. Does your church confess the papacy is very Antichrist, that Man of Sin foretold in the Scriptures?

#69 ReformedBaptist, Sep 2, 2009
  10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There's nothing in our organized worship that is contrary to the 1689 Confession.
    No. The ARBCA has only been around since 1997. We argued whether or not to joint the ARBCA when we were forming our government. The board, including myself, voted not to at this time.
    This fishing expedition of yours is getting ridiculous. Obvioulsly, you can't find any support for your ridiculous claim that my church practices "heresy".

#70 Johnv, Sep 2, 2009
  11. ReformedBaptist

Where does the Bible intruct you to burn incence?

Are you singing Pslams?

How do the men admonish one another in the congregation?

Why didn't you answer my other questions? lol

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

My concerns on contemplative spirituality began long before the emergent movement and have nothing to do with it.

13. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

The connection is that the emergents have grasped at whatever straw may be floating by in the winds of doctrine.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's in the same place in scripture that instructs churches on the use of microphones, flourescent lighting, video screens, air conditioning, pew cushions, and offering plates.
    They're clearly stupid.
    Point taken. It should be noted that "emergent" and "contemplative prayer" and "contemplative spirituality" are not necessarily synonymous with each other. Each church which has emergent customs should be judged on its own merit, just like each church that uses any other customs or practices should be judges on its own merit.

#74 Johnv, Sep 2, 2009
  15. ReformedBaptist

Wow. So, when someone questions the doctrine of yoru church directly...then the questions are stupid? :laugh:

Nuff said.

16. ReformedBaptist

Check out what happens when you ask direct doctrinal questions! Imagine calling one of the elders and asking direct theological positions and he says, "I am not answering those questions because they are stupid!"

Bwahahahaha

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Nice dodge. You keep asking questions because you accused me of heresy without proof. Since you lack proof, you're just fishing, which is just stupid.

Next time you accuse someone of heresy, have proof first.

18. ReformedBaptist

Oh, the modis operandi the slippery...I should have put in my post you would next accuse me of a dodge.

You have set yourself up as my adversary, but I have not fought you. Perhaps your into the debate thing and trying to win arguments. I enjoy the discussions for a season, and when they degenerate into sounding like my children do when they been around each other too long...

I exit the door. lol

May the Lord have mercy on you.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, your m.o. definitely proves to be slippery.... accusing someone of heresy despite the lack of evidence, and then fishing for evidence under the guise of "asking doctrinal questions".

#79 Johnv, Sep 2, 2009
  20. ReformedBaptist

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Peace be yours in Christ.