1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spiritual Gifts

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jedi Knight, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can you name a spiritual gift"or gifts"you have and explain how God is using them through you..:type:

#1 Jedi Knight, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2009
  2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have become a skeptic as to spiritual gifts. What people want to claim is their particular gifts are just aptitudes and abilities that have been confirmed in some sense (not necessarily accurately). I don't see any real evidence that a new convert suddenly has an ability [teaching, helping, mercy, knowledge,....] that he unquestionably did not have the day before. And I am really a skeptic on these "tests" that are meant to reveal 'your' spiritual gift. They only reflect what you wishfully think about yourself.

Alright, I turned this one bad in a hurry, didn't I? Obviously, just ignore my post if you wish.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh I believe in spiritual gifts, its absolutely New Testament.

My primary spiritual gift is teaching and I use it frequently in my pastoral practice, writing, and speaking. :)

I have some hesitations about miraculous gifts. I don't believe the Holy Spirit has ceased indwelling or using miraculous gifts among us, but I don't believe they some are as used as others in our society.

That said about spiritual gifts, I believe in them. I think that we need to make a solid differentiation between the "gift" and the "office."

I believe that, for believers today, there are basically seven spiritual gifts as described in Romans 12. There are some good tests to help believers better understand how God has equipped us.

I don't believe Ephesians 4 is about spiritual gifts. Nor do I believe that Paul is speaking of the same kind of gift when he addresses tongues, healing, etc in one passage and mercy, leadership, prophecy, etc. in another.

As a side note (and a probably contentious one) I believe every person is created with these spiritual gifts and they only manifest themselves in a manner after salvation.

4. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Preachinjesus......Preach it!:type: