1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Spiritual Union or Eternal life

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

You must think folks are stupid. That is the problem with most Calvinists I have debated here, you guys believe you are smarter than other folks.

When I originally quoted Acts 2:38 and paraphrased Peter, I made no statement whatsoever about Peter saying a person MUST be baptized to receive the Spirit. The only reason I mentioned baptism is because Peter would only baptize a person who had sincerely believed. I clearly made that point by mentioning Acts 8:36-37.

Acts 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
    37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Do you see the parts I highlighted in blue? This is exactly how I posted these verses before. The Ethiopian eunuch asked what would prevent him from being baptized, and Philip answered that if he BELIEVED in Jesus with all his heart he may.

That is the point I was making and you know it. Peter would only baptize a believer. So Acts 2:38 proves that believing precedes receiving the Spirit. This refutes Calvinism which falsely teaches you must be regenerated to have the ability to believe.

The scriptures I showed refute Calvinism. You know that very well, so you try to misrepresent me and distract from the point I was making. Honest and sensible people are not fooled by your dishonest tactics. And you continue to play your dishonest game.

Again, Peter would only baptize a true believer, so Acts 2:38 PROVES that Peter believed a person could believe on Jesus before they received the Spirit. I also quoted several verses by Paul that clearly show he believed a person first believes, and receives the Spirit afterward. Again, I believe you understand this perfectly, but you try to deflect with this false accusation that I believe in baptismal regeneration. You refuse to come clean.

I am teaching no such thing. I believe Peter was simply commanding these persons to believe on Jesus, and then be baptized in obedience, and afterward they would receive the Spirit. I said no such thing that baptism was required to receive the Spirit, you are putting words in my mouth.

My only point was that FAITH preceded receiving the Spirit, proving that natural men have the ability to believe on Jesus, and once they do they shall receive the Spirit.

I agree that Peter is not preaching a person has to be baptized to receive the Spirit, but Peter WAS teaching that a person must repent and trust Jesus for the remission of their sins to receive the Spirit.

I quoted Ephesians 1:13 that says AFTER a person believes they are sealed by the Spirit. This verse does not mention baptism whatsoever.

You can play your dishonest games all you want, I never said a person had to be baptized to receive the Spirit, I said they had to BELIEVE.

I have no respect for someone who does not have the courage to be honest.

#41 Winman, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

One more time! It makes no difference to me whether you believe in baptismal regeneration or not. It is your summarization AND use of Acts 2:38 in connection with your insistance that the promise of the gift of the Holy Spirit refers to individual indwelling. It does not take a lot of commons sense to see that promise is based upon BOTH "repent AND be baptized" in order to obtain that promise.

You admitted twice that is so. You admitted it in your summary that BOTH were prequistes as your use of the word "AFTERWARDS" admits that and that term was not used by Peter. Then you clearly admitted it again by the words "OF COURSE."

Hence, it is irrelevant what you believe about baptismal regeneration. What is revelant is that your interpretation that the "gift" is the indwelling of the Spirit supports baptismal regeneration whether or not you embrace that false doctrine.

And Yes, the people on this forum are not so stupid to see you are simply slippery and slick and dishonest.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

And that is where you make your mistake and prove you are not a "scholar". You have to take all scripture into account on a given subject. Ephesians 1:13 states that AFTER a person believes or trusts the gospel that they were sealed by the Spirit. This verse does not say one word about baptism being required to receive the Spirit. Paul asked "Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye BELIEVED?" in Acts 19:2. Did Paul ask, "Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed AND WERE BAPTIZED?" NO, because being baptized was not a requirement. If you were a real scholar you would know this.

I said no such thing. I simply pointed out that Peter would only baptize a true believer, and so Acts 2:38 proves Peter believed a natural man could believe, and if he did he would receive the Spirit.

I showed how the disciples (except Judas) believed on Jesus in John chapter 2, but did not receive the indwelling Holy Spirit until Jesus breathed on them in John chapter 20. I did not mention one word about them being baptized.

You know this well, you just do not have the guts to be honest.

Blah, blah, blah, you falsely accused me and you know it, and now you do not have the courage to admit your wrong.

You are showing the world your lack of character.

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I will gladly let the readers be the judge of who is being dishonest.