1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spirituality

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by following-Him, Sep 28, 2007.

1. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

This may not be the place to post this so my apologies if it is wrong. Mods, please feel free to move to a more appropriate place.

At university I am having to study a module called "Contemporary Spiritualities". I am not particularly happy about it but I don't have a lot of choice.

Anyway, I don't know if I am just plain thick but I really can't get to grips with the term "spiritualities". In the module we will be studying buddhism, feminism, Judaism and eventually Christian and Evangelical spirituaity, but I would appreciate any help and discussion on the subject.

Blessings

folllowing-Him

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Hey brother (or sister),

My heart goes out to you. Do I assume correctly that you are studying at a state university? I also studied at a state university. You are in the lion's den! And when the secular mind begins to treat religion/spirituality it is usually utterly satanic and often blatently antichrist. I took a world religions class where we looked at several religions, et. The man who taught the class was a professional philosopher. The lack of understanding of the Gospel was amazing. And my contribution to teach the Gospel in truth was a great opportunity to evangelize, though I suffered the hatred of not a few.

What would help is to actually get into the material they are giving you. Check this link out and tell me if this is the text or the type of teaching your getting into:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=If...DDXkQ&sig=GqtSC-Mf8eQC7OYXquKIkdRct2o#PPA3,M1

3. following-Him

Thank you for your reply. This is the only taught module available for me now due to changes at the university. I have this module, an independent study and a dissertation to do in order to finish my degree. I am in the UK.

The book you refer to is not on my reading list. Is ok if I pm you a copy of my reading list ?

Blessings

following-Him

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

SInce when is 'feminism' considered a contemporary spirituality?

That is a new one for me.
    It will be hard road to hoe (difficult). But look at it from the stand point of seeing 'what' and not 'how' others percieve about God. It CAN become a great tool in understanding some of what others beleive by which you can have a more sure footing in witnessing and the Lord gives opportunity.

#4 Allan, Sep 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  5. ReformedBaptist

Sure, you can PM it.

6. following-Him

Yes, that is the way I feel led to approach this module. At the moment I feel I am working my way through a fog, it all seems to be so alien to me.

Blessings

following-him

7. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

What the Bible teaches as Spirituality and what the module you are studying considers Spirituality are not synonymous and this may be why you are finding it difficult to grasp their use of the word.

To them many forms of "enlightenment" whether real or imagined are considered some form of Spirituality. This is why feminism is considered a form of Spirituality. It is the modern enlightenment of women. While all of that is ridiculous when compared to Biblical Spirituality, it isn't to them. They aren't there to teach Biblical Spirituality but some academic/intellectual determination as to what Spirituality is.

So when they are referring to "Spirituality" just don't attempt to equate it with Biblical Spirituality (which is true Spirituality) but know you will have to accept their terms and their boundaries and then make the adjustment.

8. following-Him

Thank you for your response.

I only had the first lecture last night.

I noticed that the focus seems to be on the individual and the here and now. There doesn't seem to be any seeking of salvation. Truth seems to be subjective.

I have a couple of weeks until the next lecture and am awaiting a reading list from my tutor.

This module is obviously not an easy option for me. Needs a lot of prayer.

Thank you to you all for your interest.

Blessings

following-Him

9. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I notice from a later message from you in this thread that you are in England. It sounds to me as if "Contemporary Spiritualities" is another example of political correctness gone mad. I would translate it as "Contemporary Belief Systems", but I don't imagine that will help you with your module - sorry! BBC Radio Devon (our local station) tends to talk about "faith groups" and "faith communities" rather than "churches" now. :)

10. ReformedBaptist

Going through the document you sent me. What I think I can do to help is identify possible areas where compromise can take place, but should be avoided by a true Christian.

Under the skills section (learning objectives) I would be careful with:

1. Practice participant observation of religion (if relevant/appropriate).

You certainly do not want to partipate in any pagan/Roman Catholic, et. as a participant. Do not chant, take the papal Euacharist (if it was even possible), et. Keep yourself unspotted from the world.

2. Empathetically engage with different spiritual perspectives and approaches.

A true Christian can have compassion on sinners but not to the degree of giving credence to non-Christian perspectives and approaches. Many of those things are utterly satanic and we should have no fellowship or give our assent to it.

The other skills can be tackled honestly by a true Christian. We can give a balanced and fair view of other beliefs, meaning we can represent their beliefs accurately. We can be observant of how beliefs affect the political and social environments. We can engage in faith and honest debate over controversial subjects.

An area of caution for me is the constant use of "balanced." What do they mean by that? My expeirence has been that liberals intend for me to give up absolute truth for relativsim. Ain't gonna happen!

The other side of this is you want to present an essay that fulfills the course requirements without compromise biblical truth or your stand as a true Christian. The reading list provided should be sufficient to get an idea what the course is looking for and can serve as a framework for your essay.

I followed this way in my world religions class on essays and was able to complete the assignment accordingly, but reject unbiblical and blasphmeous assertions the professor was looking to hear from me.

My grade suffered a percentage point for this. In the states we get A's, B's, et. and I was marked off for my clear biblical worldview and rebuke of false teaching. I was penalized for not being liberal and relative, but absolute in my views. But that is a price I was willing to pay to exalt the Lord Jesus Christ and His Gospel.

RB

11. following-Him

Well, I don't seem to have got off to a very good start. The lecturer said he would email us with the work he wanted us to do for the next lecture, which is today and I still haven't received anything from him. I have emailed him 3 times. I am feeling very disillusioned about this module. I hate going to a lecture unprepared.

I am finding it very hard to be motivated. I know todays lecture is on Buddhism :rolleyes:

Blessings

following-Him

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    During your studies, set aside a fair amount of time to study the writings of Ravi Zacharias. He is a Christian apologist par excellence. It will help you immensly in a comparative religions class. If you're weary from much reading, you can find archives of his radio broadcasts here:

http://www.rzim.org/

13. following-Him

Thank you so much. I do appreciate all the help you all are giving me.

Blessings

following-Him