1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Spiritually Dry

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by StefanM, Nov 27, 2016.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been going through a difficult time lately, and I've had major issues with not trusting God. I do try to read my Bible and pray, but my prayers feel like they bounce off the ceiling.

Do you know of any good (free, if possible) resources or any possible suggestions to help me?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Are you in a good church? I'd say that is the first step. From there, find a person who could be a mentor/supporter/prayer partner for you. There are a number of good books out there and stuff but really, it's best to have a person near you who can walk with you through this hard time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm in a good church, and I have been meeting with one of the deacons (although we've been unable to meet for a few weeks because of schedule conflicts).

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother the best way to work past this dry moment is to pray, fast, and stay in the word as much as possible till God shows up. I cannot give you any clear promises other than if you do that until God shows up He will. Honestly I think this is an exciting time for you as it is very likely God is getting ready to do something in your life. Hang on!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said that you felt like your prayers were "bouncing off the ceiling". Do you feel like you are praying the same old things about the same old things? If that's the case, I do have a resource for you that will be of great benefit to your prayer life.

6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd be happy to hear more about the resource. I'm just in a position of having major trust issues, so my prayers tend to fizzle quickly. Mostly, it's centering on my doubts and need for a stronger faith that I know I can't obtain through my own power.

This morning I was barely able to pray for more than a few minutes, and that even included the Lord's Prayer. I wish I had the spiritual strength to go longer and deeper in prayer.

My Bible reading isn't too far away from this same kind of experience. My mind wanders badly, and it's hard to keep focus, although I do try. I am usually able to get a chapter or two, but I know I'm not digging very deep.

My prayer life has never been all that great, but I know I have been much better with Bible reading/study.

I don't know how much (if any) of an effect my medication is influencing my ability to stay focused, but I know my problem isn't just medication.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stefan, about 40 years ago even as a Christian I became so distraught that I harbored the thoughts that I wasn't even saved and other very morbid thoughts about myself.

Psalm 88 though it is a Psalm of misery was helpful because I could identify with the writer.
    I knew other believers had been where I was which was very helpful.

A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite.>

1 O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:
    2 Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;
    3 For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.
    4 I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength:
    5 Free among the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, whom thou rememberest no more: and they are cut off from thy hand.
    6 Thou hast laid me in the lowest pit, in darkness, in the deeps.
    7 Thy wrath lieth hard upon me, and thou hast afflicted me with all thy waves. Selah.
    8 Thou hast put away mine acquaintance far from me; thou hast made me an abomination unto them: I am shut up, and I cannot come forth.
    9 Mine eye mourneth by reason of affliction: LORD, I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched out my hands unto thee.
    10 Wilt thou shew wonders to the dead? shall the dead arise and praise thee? Selah.
    11 Shall thy lovingkindness be declared in the grave? or thy faithfulness in destruction?
    12 Shall thy wonders be known in the dark? and thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?
    13 But unto thee have I cried, O LORD; and in the morning shall my prayer prevent thee.
    14 LORD, why castest thou off my soul? why hidest thou thy face from me?
    15 I am afflicted and ready to die from my youth up: while I suffer thy terrors I am distracted.
    16 Thy fierce wrath goeth over me; thy terrors have cut me off.
    17 They came round about me daily like water; they compassed me about together.
    18 Lover and friend hast thou put far from me, and mine acquaintance into darkness.

Commentators say that this a song of sickness, presumably a spiritual sickness - perhaps of one who is under severe conviction of sin who has fallen from God's favor (but not lost) and come again under the law, truly a rare but miserable place for those having been freed by His grace.

John Bunyan Pilgrims Progress, Also wrote a piece called Groans of the damned.
    For several years he went under this curse, feeling the misery of those in hell.

Look up when you are able. He will visit you in this prison.
    Stay in the Psalms - your bread and water.

HankD

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try the "Hour of Prayer that Changes the World." It has been a huge blessing in our church this year.

Here's a link to a downloadable PDF: http://www.jwipn.com/pdf/thehourthatchangestheworld.pdf

When you start with recognizing God and who he is, it gets you out of yourself and meditating on Him. Think of His attributes and thank Him for them, thinking how they help encourage the believer: holiness, love, omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence. Think of the many names of the Father, or the Son, or the Holy Spirit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stefan,

I have started Donald Whitney's "Praying the Bible". His book is short and inexpensive. I downloaded it on my Kindle relatively cheaply. I was introduced to the book by a friend.

It's just one method out of so many, but it has helped me greatly. I understand what you mean by the dry spells.

In short, the key is to take scripture and preferably one of the psalms and to read it it aloud and pray as you are lead according to each verses. Sometimes the verses may not lead you to anything to pray about so just continue. Sometimes a verse or two may drive you to pray for 30 minutes [I'm not joking] on one particular thing. I'll show you an example at the end of this post.

I have found that I run out of time before I run out of a psalm.

I incorporate my regular praying with this by making a list:
    • EVERYDAY - I pray a psalm and make sure I include praise, thanksgiving, listening to God, confession, and repentance. And I pray for my immediate family and myself daily. And because I am a church musician and have multiple hymn books around my house - I also pray the hymns - rewording them to fit a prayer.
    I add to that:
    • Sundays - prayers for the sick, bereaved, those in bondage and affliction
    • Mondays - prayers for my Sunday School class members and Bible Study members
    • Tuesdays - prayers for the lost in my acquaintance and homosexuals in my acquaintance
    • Wednesdays - prayers for our nation and branches of government and those who put themselves in harm's way daily
    • Thursdays - prayers for my church and its membership/leadership and the same for my parents' church
    • Fridays - prayers for my entire extended family on both sides
    • Saturdays - prayers for missions, missionaries, and miscellaneous things that come up during the week
    I got this list idea from a wonderful young man at our church that we have just ordained to preach. His list is different from mine, of course, but I'm so glad he shared the concept.

As an example -

The first time I did this, I tried to think of a good psalm to pray - even though Donald Whitney says not to do that - just read through a few verses of a few until you find on that speaks to you.

So, since I like Psalm 37 - I curled up on the "fancy" couch in my living room and began to read it aloud and stop when I felt led to pray to God about what the scripture was saying. As I said, I incorporated praise, thanksgiving, listening, confessing, and repenting ....

.....and when I finished - one HOUR had passed.

The next day was my day to pray for those in bondage. My bible was still opened to Psalm 37 and I confess to you now that I was too LAZY to even turn the page. So I looked back across the page and there was Psalm 35. So I said, I'll read and pray this one.

If you don't know ..... Psalm 35 is the scripture to read and pray over those in bondage, addiction, and plain old cycles of the same sin. Again, I read and prayed for one hour.

I'm not saying to do this just like me because I don't do it exactly like Donald Whitney or my friend at church do, but it's made a untold difference in how I view prayer and my connection with God.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm in a similar situation Brother. I feel sort of like a dried out twig rattling in the wind.

I sin, I repent, I hate that I did it, I don't ever want to do it again and yet I do the same stupid thing day after day. I'm at the point now where I I haven't prayed in about 2 weeks because I hate how much sin I have, and I dislike going before Him because I know I've disappointed Him. Sort of like a kid who did several bad things and has to tell his daddy. I always feel so bad going before Him with so much sin because I know His Son died on that cross, and here I am just wasting His Grace with my selfish self. I know I'm Saved, and I miss talking to Him. But I hate how imperfect I am and how easily I fall. Wish I was more like Jesus...

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lifting you up to the Lord in prayer my brother. Also praying for you too Stefan

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The good health of your body is similar to good health for your soul so,

Check your diet (what are you taking in through your eyes and ears),

Check your enviroment (who are you hanging with, or what are you exposing yourself to)

Check your exercise (what are you doing to serve God)!

QUESTIONS TO ASK:

First, is there any known sin in your life

Second, are you in an enironment for growth? Who do you hang with? What do you tolerate to be permitted around you? Are you avoiding all appearances of evil?

Third, do you have a daily diet of God's word with prayer?

Fourth, are you doing what you know you should be doing? How's your witness?

Fifth, are you serving the Lord as instructed by God's Word - in his church?

Sixth, are you simply going to church or are you contributing to your church (spiritual gifts, tithes and offerings, etc.)?

Seventh, are you hungry and thirsty for truth?

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The lack of trust would be the one that comes to mind. That's what I'm trying to remove from my life.

I don't really have many friends. I interact with Sunday School classmates at church, and I've been meeting with one of the Sunday School teachers (also a deacon in the church) on a regular basis (schedules permitting).

Not quite daily for Bible, but 4-5 days a week on average, sometimes more. I want to do it daily. Prayer is harder. I pray probably the same number of days, maybe more, if you count really brief prayers. I know prayer is a difficult area for me, and I need growth in that department.

I may not understand the question, but I'll try to answer. I'm not aware of any continuous thing I need to do but am not doing. I'm sure there is something more, but I'm not seeing it right now. I make plenty of mistakes, though.

I do what I can to help in Sunday School. The teacher/deacon said he always appreciates my comments.

I do give to the church, and I'm willing to serve. I even asked the discipleship pastor about it, but I'm not sure he had a place of service available at the time. I do have to be careful--with bipolar disorder I can become destabilized by very stressful environments, but apart from a few positions (like helping in the preschool area (not my area of giftedness for sure), I could serve. Because of this risk, though, I do have to consider whether or not I could reliably commit to a specific area such as the preschool area. I'm willing to help how I can, though, in other areas.

Yes, I want to know the truth.

I hope this helps my situation come more into focus. Thank you for the questions.

14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I don't know of any child of God that never doubts. Doubts can be good sometimes as they challenge us to make our calling and election sure.

Are you in a church were you are getting properly fed by good sound expository preaching and teaching and being challenged to higher levels of growth??

You need someone who is lost to befriend and minister to or someone who is saved you can mentor - you need to be pressed to use what God has given you and beyond what He has given you so you can grow beyond your present boundaries.

Ideally, you should live in a state of prayer, or consciousness of God's presence and communion or interaction in all you do throughout the day.

That is not what I meant. What I meant do you have your own ministry within the church? Are you doing something for the Lord and His people that is needed? Find a need and attempt to fill it. Hand out song books, greet people coming in the doors with a smile to cheer them up - help someone.

Find something. When I was a Sunday School teacher I realized our church had no door to door witnessing and so I started doing it myself and then led others. I remember the very first door I went to and what I said. I simply said, "hi, my name is Mark and I am from Libby Baptist Church and I just want to invite you to church, and then gave them a tract."

You need to be in a good bible believing as well as good Bible teaching church. If you are, then are you taking notes? Are you asking questions about things you don't understand? Are you trying to find answers?

Your welcome!

15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I am.

I don't know where I really am spiritually, so I'm in no place to mentor a believer. A lost person? If God leads me to one, I'll go. I don't really have friends where I live, so I can't just draw from an existing pool. I'm not refusing to help; I'm just in a position that makes things difficult--which is why I need God's help.

I agree. I suppose I should pray that God would help me communicate with him more.

My church is a big church, so being over a ministry requires the need to be identified and the person to be carefully vetted. And, honestly, I don't think I need to be in a leadership position anyway. I have far too many questions, and, being bipolar, I'm not the most reliable person. Helping? Sure. Leading? I don't think that's for me for right now. Things can obviously change.

Yes, I am. I don't take notes, though, apart from an occasional comment or so. I basically understand what is being preached (I went to a Christian college and majored in ministry, so I do have an academic background). My problem comes with some of the application. (See my other thread for those details). I have plenty of head knowledge. I'm just not sure it's getting from my head to my heart, so to speak.

16. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You don't need to be vetted to greet people with a smile and tell them you are glad to see them. I used to carry some candy in my pocket and believe me I made friends with children, of course I asked their parents if it was ok for them to have it. These are things you can lead in, and no one is going to object or want you to be vetted. Some older folks need pages turned to in their song books because they are hard of hearing. Some people don't have Bibles and if your church supplies bibles you can look for people without bibles and offer them one. If the church does not have bible you can ask if they can purchase some to be used in the santuary or be given to people without Bibles. There are many little things that can help others without being vetted. If you don't do something you are not going to feel useful to the Lord and that may cause further depression about yourself and further doubts. Do something no matter how small that puts a smile on the face of another person.

Come on! If you have been trained in a Christian college you should have all kinds of questions when you hear or read any passage in the Scriptures. I am a college graduate and a graduate of two seminaries and I have questions whenever I read any portion of scriptures. Ask yourself some questions when reading or hearing what is being taught like "how does this apply to me" or "how can I use this for others" or "how does this relate to the overall context" or "how does this help me worship the Lord or be more thankful or....etc.

If you don't take notes it will stay in the santuary for the most part and depart from your mind. Mediatate on a portion of God's Word - find a scripture you have always wanted to know more about and meditate on it verse by verse.

Faith cometh by hearing the word and if you want to increase or strengthen your faith then get into the word in serious manner.

SefanM if the problem is really medical than recognize that. If it can't be changed, then recognize that. Then determine to be content in the state you are found until God changes that state. Learning to be content is to begin thanking God for what you do have instead of bemoaning what you don't. God does not expect more from you than what you are able to bear but he does expect you to look to him to be and do more than you can without him. I will put you on our prayer list.

• Like Like x 1
  17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As crazy as it sounds, we actually have a dedicated parking lot group and greeters inside with special attire (the church logo is embroidered on it). (The idiosyncrasies of a bigger church, eh?) It does make finding assistance easier (Look for the yellow shirt!), but you do have to get on the "team" so to speak. I may email the discipleship pastor again to see if I could join in this effort or something similar.

The other portions are good ideas, but we never (and I mean NEVER) use a hymnal.

I think the best plan for me is to try to reach out to those involved in ministries and seeing if they know where I could be a good fit.

Thank you for this suggestion. I do have questions when I hear the word preached, but I mostly meant that on the practical side. I can pull up a commentary on my phone or something similar if I'm not following what the pastor is saying. I'm not saying my knowledge is perfect, just mostly that my head knowledge is far beyond my heart knowledge.

Good thoughts. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Your welcome. I think what I am trying to communicate with you is get your mind off yourself and get it focused on others and what you can do for Christ. Basically depression is due to simply think about self, self-inadequacies, failures past and present, etc. Paul says "think on these things" (Phil. 4:9). The bottom line, is that spiritual warefare is all about the battle for the mind and when our mind is focused on ourself or our problems we automatically begin a losing struggle, a declining faith, and are on the road to depression.

• Like Like x 1
  19. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great thread!

Thank you to those who have been honest about their thoughts (we are all susceptible to dryness) .

Thank you to those who have offered great spiritual advice

I believe this is what Paul was talking about when he wrote Galatians 6

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jerry Bridges has written a number of good books to help your Christian walk.