1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sports for Evangelism

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by USN2Pulpit, Jul 18, 2008.

?
  1. It may be a good option, but we've never tried it.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. It's a good option that we have tried.

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. No - absolutely not.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I'm interested to know if there are folks here that have used sporting events or even a full season in a particular team sport as a way of reaching out. I'm not talking about a recreational or fellowship thing - I'm talking about something that was intentionally designed to reach out.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've used the martial arts for evangelism ever since my college days, when in 1972 I first participated in a judo demonstration by the "Judo Gentlemen" of Bob Jones U., a martial arts evangelistic team. Then at Tennessee Temple College, I was part of an evangelistic team called "Kung Fu for Christ" (1975-1976). We saw 56 professions of faith in Christ one year.

I'm glad to call Evangelist Mike Crain my martial arts teacher and friend. Mike was probably the first to ever use the martial arts for Christ in 1966, I believe it was, when he founded "Judo and Karate for Christ." Unfortunately, Mike had a stroke last year and is not able to do evangelism right now.

As a board member and international rep of the Gospel Martial Arts Union (www.gmau.org), I help promote using the martial arts as a tool and means for evangelism. GMAU black belts often do evangelistic martial arts demonstrations, but perhaps our main emphasis is regular classes in churches for evangelism and Christian growth. GMAU schools require the students to memorize Bible verses and learn how to serve God in order to advance in rank, besides just techniques, forms and sparring. GMAU teachers can tell many stories of souls saved and Christians witnessing and growing.

From the start of my martial arts career I have had 1 Cor. 10:31 as my motto: "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." So since I love the martial arts, I try to use them to glorify God.

#2 John of Japan, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  3. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

In Mexico we used football (soccer) as an outreach to the youth. At every practise we would have prayer and a devotional. Several of the youths were skipping out on catechism to come be a part of our team (we did not encourage it, nor did we discourage it). We competed in a league and did very well. But more importantly, several of the youths made professions of faith and a few came to church.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Coach Ron Bishop has done a tremendous amount of sports evangelism. SCORE, Intl.

As to the OP, I say- Why not?