1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spurgeon's Online

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Psalm 95, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

Does any of you have some knowledge or experience on Spurgeon's College London and their Online.

I am considering taking their Certificate in Theology.

Best Regards

Psalm 95

2. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

The modules of the certificate would be:
    Using the Bible
    Introduction to Paul
    The Practice of Theology
    Spirituality
    Introduction to Mission
    Jesus and the Mission of God
    Pastoral Theory and Practice
    OT Prophetic Texts
    The Doctrine of God and the Ethics of Relatedness
    Preaching Yesterday and Today
    Basic Preaching Skills
    Leading Public Worship

3. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was surprised at the lack of information on the school/faculty. Nothing listed about the faculty, nothing listed about doctrine as in a doc. statement that I found.

I think I would want a lot more information before spending any money HOWEVER I do not know anything other than what I saw on the website.

If you are preparing for ministry I would look for something more substantial, if you are just wanting some Bible training for personal growth there is a thread in here about free Bible training http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=51282&highlight=free should get you there.

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Though the lack of info is a worry, I would say that there degrees seem to be issued through a legitimate college, and they are also accredited by a recognized British accrediting agency...so the program would probably carry weight.

6. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I would compare their Certificate of Theology to others. The names of the courses doesn't give much an idication of systematics. Perhaps the actual coursework is. If it is important to you, check out how much access you will have to the professors. This was an issue to me with Reformed Theological Seminary. Great classes, but no faculty access.

I've since switched to Midwest Center for Theological Studies. I am not studying for vocational ministry so I went with their track II. It is fantastic. I highly recommend it. It is not accredited, but that is not important to me. I know it is important to others.

God's blessings to you in your studies.

RB

7. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I see now that they are part of Spurgeon's College, who are members of Baptist Union of Great Britain, and the degrees are through University of Wales. As noted above accredation is OK.

8. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

On http://www.spurgeons.ac.uk/ I can read:

"Spurgeon's College seeks to offer a blend of evangelical faith with contemporary relevance; a blend of spiritual fervour with high academic standards. A member of the Evangelical Alliance, and the African Caribbean Evangelical Alliance, the College has always stood firmly in the evangelical tradition. The College Governors, the Principal and teaching staff are fully committed to the central authority of the Scriptures in all matters of faith and practice. The study of God's Word lies at the heart of the College's life."

I think that would make them basicly OK in doctrine.

9. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I noticed you are in Sweden, there used to be an evangelical seminary in Stockholm, if you are interested I can snoop and see if it is still there and some info for you.

10. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I checked, it seems like you get a tutor for each module:

"You will not be left to struggle on your own. A module tutor, appointed by Spurgeon’s College, will help you through each module. Your progress will be monitored and your assignments will be marked. Your module tutor and the Spurgeon's Online College staff at College will always be on hand to give you advice and to deal with any queries you may have."

11. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

In Sween I know Stockholm School of Theology (http://www.ths.se/english.html) in Stockholm and Welcome to Örebro Theological Seminary (http://www.orebromissionsskola.se/) in Örebro.

Might it be that there is another evangelical seminary in Sweden? I would be happy to know.

12. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have sent a couple emails to people that should know if it is still around. Will let you know what I find out.

13. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not visited Spurgeon's College, but I know several professors who do teach there. Several travel to IBTS in Prague at least once or more during the year to lecture there, and some take sabbeticals at IBTS to conduct research in the IBTS library. I have been quite impressed with those I have met at IBTS.

IBTS = International Baptist Theological Seminary .... located in Prague, Czech Republic. IBTS is all accrediated through the Uv. of Wales.

14. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haven't heard from the group that started one years ago so would guess it is not around but will post it if they do contact me.

There is a missionary there that wants to start a school, but have no idea how long it will be or what they are planning. Will pm his info to you.

15. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 95:

Just heard from the mission (GEM) I contacted and he mentioned a school named Kortebo, located at the South tip of Lake Vattern. It is a part of the Swedish Alliance Mission. Also he mentioned an english Speaking, short term school, run by the Torchbearers organization that is located in Holsby Brunn. Sweden. Not far from Kortebo.

I have no idea where these stand doctrinally but thought you might be interested in knowing of them.

16. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I checked out the school in Kortebo. Korteboskolan is run by The Swedish Alliance Mission, a small (about 12 800 members) denomination, but one of the more conservative in Sweden, they are clearly evangelical. I checked their list of litterature to the courses, I was happy to find Wayne Grudems Systematic Theology there. Sadly I do not find any courses that can be taken by distance. Happy to have their list of litterature though.

#16 Psalm 95, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008