1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Square Dancing?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by PamelaK, Feb 24, 2012.

1. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Do I have any fellow square dancers / round dancers here on the board?

2. Squidward

Squidward Member

Pamela cuttin' a rug ona Saterdy naught.

[​IMG]

3. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

We learned to Square Dance in the fourth grade, but I haven't done it since. It was fun while it lasted! :)

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When Bob and I were dating, we used to go square dancing at the beach every Tuesday night. It was fun!!!

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

One of my favorite Looney Tunes cartoon of all time.

Promanade across the floor, before you know it you're out the door.......

......everybody just promanade........

6. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

cute cartoons!!!! :applause: Have never seen that one - will have to look it up. Promenading out the door - now that is funny!

DH and I finally reached the point after more than 20 years where we've taken up square dancing and round dancing again. We're having a blast. It's giving these two old people some really good exercise and getting us out from behind these four walls. We've already met a lot of VERY nice people - because don't you know, square dancers are the NICEST people? :smilewinkgrin:

Ann and Gwen, you need to come join us sometime!

#6 PamelaK, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
  7. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

That would be fun!!! :) I'm glad you are enjoying yourselves!

8. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Thanks, Gwen! We really are! A few of my old dresses/skirts I will have to alter to fit - ahem - but a few of them still do, and two of my "crinoline" petticoats are still fine. The other two I just have to fix up the elastic/ waistband. A lot of ladies out here wear prairie dresses/skirts, and that's fun too! The National Convention is coming to South Carolina in 2017. We're already being recruited to help - lol. Y'all go take some lessons and join us! :1_grouphug: We used to go to the State Convention out in CA and it is really fun, so this should be really something.....if we're all still here on this earth!

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

On occasion I have gone to a local BBQ place and they have squaredancing. We (my friends and I) have danced when we were there.

10. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I have a good friend that does clogging. It's fun to watch. She loves it, and is pretty good, too! Very cool that many of your things still work. Nothing I have from 10 years ago fits me, so kudos to you!! I'd be glad to take lessons and learn to square dance, but my hubby is not into it. LOL Have a great time, and take some pics!!

11. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

SaggyWoman:
    On occasion I have gone to a local BBQ place and they have squaredancing. We (my friends and I) have danced when we were there.

Hey Saggy, sounds fun! Come on down and join us sometime!

That's neat about your friend, Gwen. Dan is a clogger - well, was - lol. For many years. He loved it too and was very good. He took three trips to Eastern Europe with his clogging/square dancing group that were sponsored by Friendship Ambassadors and Reader's Digest....many moons ago before we were even engaged, two before we met. As for your hubby, maybe you can just plan a fun trip to Charleston five years from now and happen to walk into the convention and lo and behold, there we are! :laugh:

12. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Wow! Three trips to E. Europe to clog/square dance is really cool! I would like to go for any reason, but that sounds like a good and exciting trip!

Charleston is one of our favorite cities, and we would love to go back and see you do some dancing!! How fun! Maybe we should plan us a trip. :)

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

No, did it in high school though.

I do have to tell you the story on this.

There was this one guy that everyone teased. Nobody would actually hold his hand and I felt really bad for him, so when it came to our turn to be partners, I smiled and grabbed his hand. He was SO happy and smiled so big, but I was horrified. His hands were sweaty and covered in these wart things, but I didn't want to be mean and let go. The dance ended right after that and I tried to be very discreet in wiping my hands, putting them down to my sides and rubbing them against my legs, but he apparently had this happen before and busted me, saying "WHY ARE YOU WIPING YOUR HANDS?" and looking at me with a mixture of accusation and hurt.

So now for a revealing of two of my deep dark secrets:

1. I LIKE SQUARE DANCING! I secretly admire the outfits from afar when a group goes out to eat.

2. I'm afraid of square dancing now because I don't want to end up having something similar happen again.

14. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Wow - what a story Gina! How interesting that long ago events of our youth can make such an impression.....Ok, here's something - there's always food at square dances - ALWAYS. Something we see every time now are TWO bottles of hand sanitizer at the head of the food table, hand sanitizer at the entrance, hand sanitizer at the caller's station - hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE!!!! The stuff did not exist 20 years ago! Anyway, just had to mention that. I know - overdoing hand sanitizer is a bad thing....but still, I hope if you ever come to visit us you will not be afraid of square dancing. :smilewinkgrin:

15. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My grandpa (who turned 81 yesterday) was a square dance caller for over 30 years. I went to about 3 of them in my life. But my favorite part was seeing grandpa.

16. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Aw, that's sweet, Jkd. Was he a national caller or did he pretty much stay in the local/state area?

17. PinkFlowers

PinkFlowers New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My dad was a square dance caller for several clubs when I was growing up. I don't think I've square danced since I was a teenager. It was a lot of fun back then. Like Gina mentioned, I don't think I'd want to do it these days because of the sweaty, germy hands factor. I like line dancing; no partner needed and you don't have to touch sweaty hands.