1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Standards to a Fundamentalist

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Luke2427, Jul 8, 2010.

?
  1. not at all

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. smoewhat

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. very

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. you can't be a true fundamentalist without them

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jim, please stop confusing people with the facts! :smilewinkgrin:

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mex, you know its a sin to be sexist - what about Women's Standards! :smilewinkgrin:

(of course if women held to high standards all men would be single :tongue3:)

3. nashpd

nashpd Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Statutes

I guess if we just think of the fact that God sees our hearts, we'll get an answer...

Is it right to use a high-end over priced Macbook or iMac or should we as God's people go for budget computers???????????so that the money saved can be used to reach out to lost souls and serve His church?

Do we question women because they are excelling over men or because we truly want them to stay humble and submit to God's design??????

Is it right to watch TV after dark????????

Is it ok to go to public swimming pools?????

Can men and women be friends????

What I believe is either way you answer this question, what's more important is what your heart feels...irrespective of what you express, the Lord knows our hearts and can see through us....standards may be expressed...but what is in our hearts is what the Lord sees...

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Or does the iMac make it so that the service is not a distraction? We had a great video to show for Mother's Day last year and our computer crashed ... three times in the video. We then got the approval for new (well not "new" but refurbished) iMacs and a new program and we've been able to do much more in the service because of it. Just today we had live video to show babies being dedicated, the songs for worship, a homemade video showing what happened in youth week this week and then a list of names of 18 new members of our church. On the old computer, we could not have done that. Oh and now the computer we had in the sanctuary (a PC) is being used by our missionaries on furlough as their personal computers for doing ministry work at the church. We couldn't have extra computers for them if we didn't change the sanctuary computers. :)

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Now, when it comes to computers, I have standards! None of that nasty "PC" stuff for me, no siree- it's Mac or nothing!

:smilewinkgrin:

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Preach it!!! :thumbsup: :applause: :type:

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you talking about Mac from JAG? :smilewinkgrin:

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Where is the courage of the fundies who declared that you can't be a fundamentalist without dress standards???

Why don't you have the grit to defend your position?

Perhaps it is because this is what fundies do. They preach things that they expect people to follow simply because they say so.

They do not defend their positions because they cannot because they have not thought them through themselves.

If I am wrong- somebody prove it.

I do not think I am, though, because I used to be one. I know how those in my previous circle think- or rather how they DON"T THINK.

9. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Blashemy!!! Repent, Repent I Say!

10. nashpd

nashpd Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :)

I have many Mac fanboys as friends...they see it and go ooh...lala!!! :tongue3:

11. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I guess I fall into the category a bit except in a different way. I do beleive we have standards, just that those standards change a bit as culture changes. Example: We are instucted to dress modestly and not laciviously (sp). A woman in 1890 may have been considered quite sexy if she showed her ankles. Today that is not the case. One can dress like a ho in 1800 and 200, just the outfits are a little different. I beleive that is biblical, do you disagree?

12. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Why the hatered for the fundamentalist? Are they not your brother?

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible is silent on the issue so, so am I.
    The bible is silent on the issue so, so am I. Local customs are not necessarily God's infallible word on the subject. :p)
    Sorry, but that is a mistaken notion. Paul did not forbid eating in church. He forbade the misuse of the love feast.
    Not my list. :)

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are you saying it is NOT a sin to smoke / use illegal drugs - which destroy our body - which is the temple of the Holy Ghost...and ye are not your own? (I Cor 6:19)

15. Bro K

Bro K New Member

Could we say that drinking sodas, eating candy, etc are sins since they do have some effects on our bodies. How about being overweight? If our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost; does he abide in sin? Is it the fleshly body he abides in or the spiritual soul? Is the "temple" our fleshly body or the Body of Christ?

16. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For starters, because somebody passes a law against something does not make it a sin except in that we are to obey government as much as possible.

Secondly, the verse you quote is referring the body of believers, the church, not the individual physical body.

17. Bro K

Bro K New Member

Just remembered reading about DL Moody and C Spurgeon. Moody got-on Spurgeon for smoking cigars and Spurgeon got-on Moody for being excessively overweight. Then again, we all have OUR checklist.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does smoking have to do with passing a law??

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Illegal drugs are illegal. Smoking isn't. Drinking alcohol isn't. Eating Milky Way bars isn't. Going to McDonald's isn't. At lerast TRY to have consistent logic bro!!

Unless a law of the government is unbiblical, I will seek to obey it. I don't like my tax money going to Afghanistan, but like Jesus did to Rome, I still pay my taxes. Not going to break a law.

But the others? All preferences I may or may not have.

Man-made standards are no better today that when the Pharisees did it a few millennia ago. They clean up the way we look OUTSIDE, but do nothing for the INSIDE (except make us feel a pseudo-holiness and better-than-thou attitude)

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Who said I hate them?

I do think many of them of a particular mindset do a great deal of harm to the Kingdom of God. If I am right, then my frustration is justified.

I can be blunt and straightforward with brethren- Paul certainly was.

Part of my disdain for their philosophy of ministry rests in the fact that I find it repulsive to speak for God where God has not spoken.

To call something a sin that God has not called a sin is presumption in the highest degree.

If a man preaches something as dogma that is not clear in the Scripture he abuses his office, misrepresents God, turns men away from Christ, creates schisms in the Body of Christ, hinders the expansion of the Kingdom and will give account to God for it.

Frankly, if one don't have clear cut Scripture on a matter, then he ought to be silent on it from the pulpit.

I don't think the VAST majority of "standards" that many preach have any Scriptural basis whatsoever and do great harm to the Gospel of Christ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.