1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Star Wars anyone?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by BrotherJesse, Jun 8, 2003.

1. BrotherJesse

BrotherJesse New Member

Hi,
    Who here likes Star Wars? Surely some of you must like that series. I hear Episode III is coming out in two years. [​IMG]

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

I'm just a padawan, but do enjoy Star Wars [​IMG]

3. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

I do, but I agree with the critic that said it looks as though George Lucas has forgotten how to make these movies - the last two have been awful.

4. BrotherJesse

BrotherJesse New Member

Kelly,
    I couldn't agree with you more. Episodes I & II stunk very bad. Their stench reaks my house... [​IMG]

5. Gib

Gib Active Member

I almost agree. They have by no means been of the original "Star Wars" quality. But, I'm hopeful for Episode III. Right now the series reminds me of the Atlanta Braves. They're good when they're good and they're bad when they're they're bad. Whether good or bad I will always be a Braves fan. Same goes for Star wars. [​IMG]

6. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

No, you're right. I'm the same way about the Orioles, the Redskins and, yes, Star Wars. I even have Episodes I and II on DVD. [​IMG]

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

As do I. They were so awful I watch them all the time ;) . OF course, I have all the Star Trek films on DVD as well, except for Star Trek 5 (I've having a hard time acknowleging that anyone by the name of Roddenberry was associated with it).

While I was disappointed with them, I must give old Lucas some credit. I think we've gotten so jaded with spx technology, that it's a lot harder for moviemakers to appeal to our suspension of dispelief. Had 1 & 2 come out BEFORE 4,5 & 6, we'd all be saying how great they were.

OTOH, I've asked my legislators to consider a law that would make it a crime to in involved with the making of sequels to Spielberg films.

8. Griffdog

Griffdog New Member

Yeah, I like Star Wars a little. Check out www.theforce.net to see my website!

Josh

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And check out June 19-21 Weekend Edition of USA Today newspaper to see Grifdog's pix and article (page 2). :cool:

Can't stomach star wars. Love that boy. [​IMG]

10. Pete

Pete New Member

Oh well, I only missed the action in this thread by a month or so [​IMG]

But anyway, yeah. I was 9 years old in '78, a very bad time to be 9 [​IMG] The Empire Strikes Back was the first movie I saw on the big screen. I still watch them when-ever they come on TV.

The last time I watched them I was a bit upset to notice that Darth Vader wasn't as tough as I remembered him to be. About the worst he does in the original 3 movies is torture Leia and a few others a few times, choke a few of his own men, and that's about it.

Notice in the first one Vader takes orders from Moff Tarkin (Peter Cushing) a few times, and Tarkin is the one who gave the order for the destruction of Alderaan.

Watching Mark Hammil whine through all his lines again I started wishing Vader would have chopped him in two with his light saber [​IMG]

Oh, btw, I don't count episodes I & II as REAL Star Wars movies :D Hope to see a young Han & Chewbacca in III [​IMG]

Pete

11. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

From Gib:

I almost agree. They have by no means been of the original "Star Wars" quality. But, I'm hopeful for Episode III. Right now the series reminds me of the Atlanta Braves. They're good when they're good and they're bad when they're they're bad. Whether good or bad I will always be a Braves fan. Same goes for Star wars.

I feel about that way regarding Star Trek--I was disappointed with a great deal of V and both Insurrection and Nemesis, but I do or will own all of them. I don't think that the Star Wars productions done recently were all that awful, although Darth Maul wasn't much of a villain to have few lines and be so weak he could be killed off in a single movie.

12. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

As do I. They were so awful I watch them all the time ;) . OF course, I have all the Star Trek films on DVD as well, except for Star Trek 5 (I've having a hard time acknowleging that anyone by the name of Roddenberry was associated with it).

While I was disappointed with them, I must give old Lucas some credit. I think we've gotten so jaded with spx technology, that it's a lot harder for moviemakers to appeal to our suspension of dispelief. Had 1 & 2 come out BEFORE 4,5 & 6, we'd all be saying how great they were.

OTOH, I've asked my legislators to consider a law that would make it a crime to in involved with the making of sequels to Spielberg films.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, although the Great Bird of the Galaxy warned Shatner not to make it, was a reworking of one of Roddenberry's original ideas for ST--TMP. It also, especially in its ending, captured very well his views as a member of the American Humanist Association affiliated with The Humanist magazine.

13. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Come on Now, everyone knows that "Star Trek" is the Best :D [​IMG]

14. Pete

Pete New Member

Ben, as a web-page or million saith: Lets see the borg adapt to having their arms ripped off by an irate wookie :D

Pete

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wash your mouth out with soap for even mentioning that farce Star TREK in the presence of a real thread on STAR WARS.

May the force be with you.

I'm going to GrifDog's home in Michigan Sunday. He works with George Lucas and I'll tell him what you said.

Keep your eyes open for Sand People.

16. benedictus

benedictus New Member

Not only are, as far as I experienced, all 5 released movies not very well done (except perhaps the first one (1979)), they are also representing discrimination against women.

George Lucas is contradicting himself in his work.