1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

State Silences Bakers Who Refused to Make Cake for Lesbian Couple, Fines Them $135K

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oregon Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian finalized a preliminary ruling today ordering Aaron and Melissa Klein, the bakers who refused to make a cake for a same-sex wedding, to pay $135,000 in emotional damages to the couple they denied service.

“This case is not about a wedding cake or a marriage,” Avakian wrote. “It is about a business’s refusal to serve someone because of their sexual orientation. Under Oregon law, that is illegal.”

In the ruling, Avakian placed an effective gag order on the Kleins, ordering them to “cease and desist” from speaking publicly about not wanting to bake cakes for same-sex weddings based on their Christian beliefs.

“This effectively strips us of all our First Amendment rights,” the Kleins, owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa, which has since closed, wrote on their Facebook page. “According to the state of Oregon we neither have freedom of religion or freedom of speech.”

http://dailysignal.com/2015/07/02/s...ok&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thffacebook

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes. Welcome to the new world of tolerance. Avakian would make Hitler proud.

You VILL BE SILENCED! VEE ARE ZEE VUNZ WHO VILL DECIDE VAHT YOU FREE SPEECH IZ!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can understand this.
    I cannot understand the reasoning here.

4. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There will be a lot more of this. The attack on Christianity is just beginning in the U.S.

5. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

We have to remember, Jesus promised us in Scripture that the world would hate us.

6. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On account of Him and we would be blessed to be hated.

Matthew 5:10-12 NAS77
    10 "Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    11 "Blessed are you when men cast insults at you, and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, on account of Me.
    12 "Rejoice, and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It appears they have legal assistance to fight this.

They should be able to win, even if they have to take it to the Supreme Court.

8. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

I should hope they have legal assistance! I don't see how they can be told that they cannot discuss it openly. This cannot be Top Secret. But the lgtbq+ crowd and its allies want to shut up ALL opposition.

The more they push, the bigger the push back. Sooner or later, people will grow tired of it and remind them of the Bill of Rights!!

9. JFish123

JFish123 New Member

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simple really. Leftist are all about silencing any opposition.