1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stay or leave a church? Move to SBC over IFB?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Apr 22, 2012.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been at my church for a little over a year and its got an active singles ministry, and I have a ministry as a nursing home preacher. However I am finding it difficult to get really close to most of the singles as we have so little in common. I am passionate for books/theology, Way of the Master evangelism, and the like. Most of the singles grew up IFB and tend to be somewhat legalistic in their mindset. They also are so indoctrinated by SEPARATION that getting any of them to do street evangelism, and hang out with the sinners of downtown Greenville is like puling teeth. I have made many attempts to get people into evangelism, but no one cares. They believe evangelism is having a professional preacher come to town, and then inviting everyone to come to church. They do not seem to really care about going to the streets, and or the neighborhood and doing biblical evangelism. When Jesus walked the earth he hung out with tax collectors and sinners. He went out and did open air preaching, and engaged the lost on the streets. He did not say come t the synogoue and hear someone preach.

I have been to several SBC churches but many of them allow women to teach men in SS, but not preach in the service (there is no difference) and the like. However they are more into local evangelism, and the like. It will be a tradeoff, but if I can find a SBC church with a singles ministry I may consider. Perhaps I may find some were we have more in common. I am finding that MOST of the people asking to be my friend, posts on my wall and such on FB are being of SBC, Charasmatic and non IFB backgrounds. Perhaps the issue is that I did not grow up IFB and do not have that mindset and therefore do not belong in this culture.

What do you think?

#1 evangelist6589, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Well, it apears that your currant church ( I assume its the IFB one) is suffering from a BAD case the horrible afliction known as "churcianity"

It certainly has some of the symptoms.

I would reccomend the SBC option. You will find it to be a much more *enlightened* fellowship and more open to new ideas regarding evangelism.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Visit here.....speak to pastor Bob Gonzales about it...

•South Carolina

GRACE BAPTIST CHURCH
    (864) 322-7717 (Pastor Robert B. Selph)

5020 Old Spartanburg Rd
    TAYLORS, SC 29687

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks brother for this. However it needs to have a singles ministry in order for me to consider it. Does it have one? An active one I may add.

John

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah they got their problems alright but I think the Lord exposed the real problem tonight. I have been working 6/7 days a week 3/4 times a month! I can no longer do friday night evangelism, I can no longer go to wednesday service, I can no longer go on retreats and have fellowship with the group. This means I am not depressed and lonely. Perhaps the problem is I need to find a new job with a M-F 8-5pm or so schedule.

6. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

There are some conservative SBC churches that are biblical, and there are some IFB churches that are not legalistic.

The problem is that alot are one extreme or the other and the truley biblical ones are getting harder and harder to find.

Why must your church of choice have a singles ministry?

Are you going to church for the sole purpose of finding a wife?

Even churches that don't have a singles ministry still have good single Christian women.

John

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you limited to only Friday nights for evangelism?

8. 12strings

12strings Active Member

1. You will find SBC & IBF churchs both that either have a passion for evangelsim, or don't. Whether they are SBC or IFB probably makes no difference. Most churches in general...don't

2. I think you should seriously consider widening your search to include churches that don't have a specific Singles ministry. I think you will find great fellowship with a wider circle of believers, young and old, married and unmarried. While in college I attended a church that had a fairly large young singles SS class in the mornings, but almost none of them came on sunday nights. I found that my best church fellowship was on sunday nights when I was with the normal church people.
    -If you are thinking that you want to put yourself in a situation to meet a future spouse, many churches have godly single people in them, even without a "singles ministry". Pray for God to lead to you the right person, and pray for contentment in the mean-time.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have to be honest, OP - you seem to put a lot of qualifications and restrictions and rules on the things that you do/want to do/want others to do.

What if God called you to a church that had NO evangelism ministry and NO singles ministry? Would you not go because of those requirements you have?

Never put God in a box. He may be calling you to stretch your faith and your experience, thus making you a more well-rounded believer. Just a thought.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I go to church for three reasons.

1) Doctrine & teaching
    2) Ministry opportunities and ways to use my spiritual gifts
    3) fellowship

I am not going to a church to find a wife. However finding fellowship among my own kind is very important. Imagine you went into a church full of singles and you are married. Would you stay very long? I think not.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The advantage to my area is that there are lots and lots of churches. I have a wide selection. Also most of the singles in my church go to church sunday night and are involved in ministry.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God calls me where I can use my gifts and get good teachings & fellowship.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wouldn't bother me!! Of course it wouldn't be just singles for very long with us around. We ran a college group in our home for about 6 years. There are no less than 10 marriages that came out of that group! LOL

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Leaders make a difference and they produce more leaders. Followers want someone else to lead and make a difference.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When you are finished reading the sermons Jesus gave and the ministry He had notice how your focus compares to His. His passion was people. If you do not love people then your ministry is all about you.

16. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bingo! :thumbs:

Jesus was single, yet he hung out with married folks, singles, and widows. That's because he was there to GIVE, not GET. We need more people to come to church for what they can give, not what the church will give them.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Nicely expressed.:thumbs:

18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Our deaf group is mostly single young people and my wife and I are married and at least 30 years older than most of them. We get along great!!!

19. Batt4Christ

Batt4Christ Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you limiting your choices to IFB or SBC? There are other "Baptist" congregations that are possibly exactly what you are looking for - firm in their Conservative and Fundamental Doctrines and Theology, while also being outward-focused (as Christ called His people/church to be).

I pastor a church that is associated with the Baptist Missionary Association of America. Some ABA (American Baptist Association) churches also fit into the category I described.

I don't know where you are located for me to see if I know of any congregations near you.