1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stealing?? Burning Cd's

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Sep 25, 2006.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Yeah.. I feel you with the Taxes.. However.. I know so many Christians.. who add a little more here and there... and every where just to pay less or get more.. thats wrong... no matter how we put it...

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

When I get a new CD, the first thing I do is to burn a copy. Since I spend so much time on the boat and my CDs take so much abuse, it's the only way I can make them last. I have many hundreds of CDs going back years, that have only been out of the case that one time.

I do burn a lot of stuff for other people.

The music I listen to is not something that has an outlet anywhere else. I mean, you can't hear it on the radio, and as far as I know, other than the fabulous Little Tree Radio, you can't hear it on the internet, either.

So what I usually do is to make "sampler" CDs with one or two songs per artist and share them with my brother in law and a couple of friends. They do the same when they find a new artist.

This way, we get an idea what a new artist sounds like, but you've still got to buy the album.

Is it legal? Yes. Is it right? I don't know, but I do believe that the extra exposure that the artist is getting because of it is a very good thing.

I used to work with a lot of black people and one of the really interesting things I found out is that there is a whole underground of rap music that depends on sharing and burning. These rap singers make cheap albums and sell them in booths out on the street, but they depend on their supporters to disseminate their music through sharing and burning.

That's about the way I look at what I do.

The third reason I burn my CDs is that so much of the music I listen to is out of print. Because it's out of print, neither the artist nor the songwriter is losing money. These are albums that are no longer for sale to the general public and it's great music that would otherwise be locked away in a wharehouse somewhere.

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Brother Bob that would be illegal, because when you gave away the original you gave away any ownership to that copyrighted material. If you don't own the original then you don't have a legal right to own copies.

And people certainly do justify things, but it doesn't make it right.

The area I have to be careful in is software. That is something that God has really dealt with me on, because it is the same issue.

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

It is my understanding that once you purchase a Cd, you may copy it for your own personal use - maybe you want one in the car, in the house, and in the garage. But buying one and burning it for others to enjoy is morally wrong, and I believe it is illegal.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

J. Jump;
    I understand what you are saying and probably agree but not sure for when the copy was made it was a legal copy. So, I didn't sign any papers or agreement to not give it away or protect the contents or anything. The copyright is still in effect to the original, that has not changed at all and what time that I had paid for it, own it and pocessed it, I legally made a copy which was on my disk I purchased, and then gave the orginal away. I guess its a long way around trying to do what is right.
    I can't see hardly though if I did make a copy and have it in the car, then if I give the orginal away I am supposed to destroy the copy in my car. Seems odd at the least.

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Did you sign a paper agreeing not you yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater?

7. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well as odd as that might seem to you that is the case. When you give away the original on a permanant basis you lose all rights you held to that CD, including any and all personal copies made.

Because if your scenario was legal then all one would have to do is make a copy of the CD and then give the original away and then that person could make a copy and then give the original away and then that person could make a copy and give the original away . . . and on and on it could go and then only one CD would need to be sold in order to give everyone their own copy.

Bottom line is enjoy the music that you purchase and if a friend wants a copy then tell him/her to cough up the cash and buy their own copy :)

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Nobody showed it to me!!!! Did you sign it HoG, they must of forgot to tell me. I know, I haven't been to a theater in many years. I guess they changed a lot since then.

#28 Brother Bob, Sep 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2006
  9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I don't download music anyway. I ordered one country western cd once and they hounded me for years after that to buy more. Not worth it, just turn on the radio.